Two Senators warn about releasing abuse photos.

bytor2112

We're not the only ones who worry about this. Yesterday, Senators Lindsey Graham of South Carolina and Joe Lieberman of Connecticut wrote a letter to President Obama urging him to "[pursue] all legal options to prevent the public disclosure of these pictures," including if need be an appeal of lower court decisions to the Supreme Court.

More here.......The ACLU Explains - WSJ.com

Releasing the photos ONLY tells one side of the story and is fodder for the enemy. You can bet that these pics will be used to drum up terror support and may ultimately cost more Americans their lives. This is a really bad idea. Here is the salient quote from the article.....IMO:

The fact that the photos are the product of investigations into accusations of abuse, and that our military punishes proven cases, will be a journalistic footnote.

Whoah... Whoah... Whoah... People are arguing that military abuse of prisoners of war shouldn't be made public? I can not nor will I ever endorse sweeping under the rug the crimes of the past. ESPECIALLY the recent past.

If the guilty are prosecuted and punished, then justice is served. Publishing photos will only add fuel to the fire for the extremists.

The fact that the photos are the product of investigations into accusations of abuse, and that our military punishes proven cases, will be a journalistic footnote.

Better to punish the guilty and keep the investigation photos private, than to stir up more violence that may lead to the death of more innocents.

If the guilty are prosecuted and punished, then justice is served. Publishing photos will only add fuel to the fire for the extremists.

Better to punish the guilty and keep the investigation photos private, than to stir up more violence that may lead to the death of more innocents.

I agree.

This seems kind of early to me. It seems the wise thing to do would be to use the information on the photos to come to a just decision, but don't release the photos for a while because of their sensitive nature. Let the issue cool down a little because, like it or not, it is related to national security.

Of course, in today's society where few really trust the government (unfortunately for good reason) and many think they're entitled to whatever they want, this action isn't very surprising.