G1 Google Phone

newlight

Guest Apostate

Stick with proven technology...At the App Store, you can download tons of Church related material, including scriptures and they even have Preach My Gospel now...

Of course, I'm referring to the iPhone here

Stick with proven technology...At the App Store, you can download tons of Church related material, including scriptures and they even have Preach My Gospel now...

Of course, I'm referring to the iPhone here

I have doubts about the G1 already... no VPN support! That's me and a entire chunk of the market they have lost... no doubt it will come eventually, albeit too late for a lot of people. I'm normally a fan of google as well.

I've had many PDA phones with all versions of Win Mobile, I looked at the Iphone and now the G1. I simply love this phone, I really dont care for VPN right now because i can do that from my laptop at home. This phone so far has won me over. I love that almost all apps are free. I love that its Open source, I love that you dont have to be limited to HardDrive Space like the IPhone, It still has its small quirks like for example Stereo Bluetooth and Flash isnt supported yet but according to what I've read that is coming in this months patch. .....I have 5 sprint phones and my trial (or test) G1 on Tmobile and i think this is going to make me switch over.

In regards to LDS applications Here is what I have found so far:

Scriptures (Thanks Mahone)

Articles of Faith

Family Proclamation

and the one I'm anxious in testing....Reveal....

This last one works as if it were the yanceyware software., you can download all those same yanceyware doc and read them with reveal.

I've had many PDA phones with all versions of Win Mobile, I looked at the Iphone and now the G1. I simply love this phone, I really dont care for VPN right now because i can do that from my laptop at home. This phone so far has won me over. I love that almost all apps are free. I love that its Open source, I love that you dont have to be limited to HardDrive Space like the IPhone, It still has its small quirks like for example Stereo Bluetooth and Flash isnt supported yet but according to what I've read that is coming in this months patch. .....I have 5 sprint phones and my trial (or test) G1 on Tmobile and i think this is going to make me switch over.

Unfortunately the network I like to access via VPN is my home network for when I'm away from home, so VPN is a big advantage for me. I like the idea of streaming movies to my iphone on the fly as well and although vpn isn't entirely necessary for this, it helps :)

Your point about open source and apps being mostly free are good ones though. I may well move to the G1 when I've exhuasted my iphone, hopefully by that point they'll have fixed all the small problems and the bigger ones like no VPN support - I mean an awful lot of the business market down the drain. Many people cannot even access their e-mail unless connected via VPN.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been jonesing for the G1 for some time, but funds are low. What is VPN? I'm just a regular guy who needs a little more than a phone but nothing too complex that I can't wait until I get home to my PC. I've checked out the G1 website and I really like the features.

VPN stands for virtual private network. Basically, a VPN is a network that uses the internet to join segments of the network due to the long distance between them. Say for instance you had one building which had a network and you also had another building 20 miles away which had another network, and you wanted the two networks to become one as if they were next to each other, it would not be feasible to run your own cables the distance of 20 miles, so instead you'd make use of the internet. Both buildings would have an internet connection, so that is your physical connection already. Correctly configured VPN software on either end is what would join them together as if they were in the same LAN. Then the computers in either building would be able to talk to the computers in the other building in the same way that they would if they were in the same building.

VPN on your phone allows you to connect to a VPN enabled network regardless of where you actually are, providing you have signal. It's effectively the same as being connected wirelessly to the network through an access point when you are in the building, with the exception that you are not in the building. So it really is pretty useful.

Skal...haven't you heard "Thou shalt not covet? :P Good to see you back on the boards my friend.

But I'm not coveting anyone's G1. Just would like one of my own. :P

Glad to be back. Have a little more time to spare these days. It will still be a year before I'm back to normal. I hope.^_^