5 Alabama Police Officers Fired over Beating

pam

"I have seen nothing and heard less that indicates that all the police involved have a history of being unreasonable or irresponsible. Let us not condemn someone for being in a high speed chase when they act like they have been in a high speed chase.

The Traveler "

AMEN....and thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To expect more of others than you expect of yourself is the very definition of hypocrisy. Every human being will act like a thug when the situation is right for a long enough time. I have seen the gentlest people panic and endanger and threaten the lives of others. Anyone with life guard training realizes the danger of trying to rescue a drowning person. Should all such people experiencing panic under desperate situations be rejected by society and tried for attempted murder?

I grew up around my country's top police officers who became police officers because they honoured the job - and not one of them would have behaved in that manner. My family has contained police officers since the 1800s when the violent crime rate in London/Liverpool etc was higher than it is now. And THEY did expect more of police officers than the general public. As I stated they should have respect for their badge, if they do not respect then they should not be taking the paycheck. The men I grew up around had either served in the military or the police

If I make a covenant or an oath then more should be expected of me. I did not become a police officer because I was not capable of becoming one, however I did make a covenant when I was baptised and went through the temple so someone has every right to expect more of me because of that.

I was brought up to respect the badge the police held and as a result get very angry when those who take the oaths and hold the badge don't

Anyone with life guard training realizes the danger of trying to rescue a drowning person. Should all such people experiencing panic under desperate situations be rejected by society and tried for attempted murder

Anyone who beats another human being to death should be investigated and for anything beyond reasonable self defense should face trial

-Charley

Would you suggest rehabilitation?

Directed at what? Getting over the blame from those in society that think they are better? Or for those in society that blame someone trying to protect them?

One thing I do not understand is why we glorify, even in our entertainment, those that run from the police putting at risk the lives of all kinds of innocent people (including children) and then call the perpetrators innocent victims when someone risks their life to stop them. Where is the logic in that?

The Traveler

• 4 weeks later...

Directed at what? Getting over the blame from those in society that think they are better? Or for those in society that blame someone trying to protect them?

One thing I do not understand is why we glorify, even in our entertainment, those that run from the police putting at risk the lives of all kinds of innocent people (including children) and then call the perpetrators innocent victims when someone risks their life to stop them. Where is the logic in that?

The Traveler

So if the police officer is the one who starts the chase, you mean then he isn't at least partially to blame if there is a bad outcome, such as a child getting hit, as a result of the chase?

Police don't start a chase. They flash their lights to signal someone to pull over. If that person doesn't pull over, they have started the chase.

True, the police may not be the ones who initially start it. But that still doesn't mean they're free from the responisbility of any outcome that may result from it. I happen to teach at a music store and I was told by one of the salesman that if somebody steals a guitar from the store that they are not allowed to chase the person once they're out of the store on account of the person possibly running out on the street and getting hit by a car, that the store would then be held responsible for that persons injuries/death. It should be the same for the police officers who have the 'cowboy' mentality because too many innocent people are out here getting killed during high speed pursuits. The police should be responsible in knowing when to back off.

I would have revived him, THEN beat him.

Christ-like attitudes all-round!

The truth is that adrenalin fueled reflex cannot be completely controlled by training.

That's not entirely true. The way a person reacts in regard to an 'adrenalin fueled reflex' also depends on how much exposure they've had to methods of problem solving. Obviously next to none, for anyone that has to ever resort to violence.

The real question is: Why were these civilian men originally violent and, if they worked with social scientists, how could we eliminate it as much as possibly or (idealistically) entirely so there is no basis for that behaviour?

To expect more of others than you expect of yourself is the very definition of hypocrisy.

So by that logic, I should not expect the police to investigate crimes as I, myself, have no training in crime prevention. I shouldn't expect a doctor to operate on me should I become sick because I, myself, could not do such a thing.

Those who are styled the protectors of humanity should be their protectors.

However, let's go a step further than that: We SHOULD arrest these police officers for assault and battery because:

1) I have never, even when I was hit by a car, beat a man in to unconsciousness.

2) I have never, even when friends were around, beaten a lone person lying injured on the ground.

It would seem to me that Traveler's suggestions are absurd on the face of it, but if we take his suggestions at face value, these people can and should be prosecuted.

Those in positions of power can not abuse their positions. I would expect that I, myself, would not abuse the power inherent in a position of authority and, if I did, I would hope to be prosecuted.