Unbelievable

Wingnut

I randomly stumbled across this news story, even though it's from back at the beginning of March. Did anyone else hear about it? I'm not sure what part is the most unbelievable.

Excerpt:

RIO DE JANEIRO - A Roman Catholic archbishop says the abortion of twins carried by a 9-year-old girl who allegedly was raped by her stepfather means excommunication for the girl's mother and her doctors.

Full article: Bishop punishes mom for girl's abortion - Americas- msnbc.com

Yeah, I don't know what galls me the most.

That the stepfather received no discipline whatsoever (that was reported at least).

The the doctors were punished for doing their jobs.

That the nine-year old girl was actually expected to carry, deliver, and care for twins when she is barely old enough to be menstruating herself.

It's cases like these where the "NO abortion under ANY circumstances!" people lose me. How in the world is a nine year old's body capable of carrying twins to term? Or to a gestational point where the babies can be born and survive? And how can you do that without causing major trauma to the "mother's" (she's 9!!) body? There's no way she could deliver vaginally, and a c-section is pretty major surgery for a 9 year old. Plus, the children were the product of rape, which has to be hard enough on a 9 year old's mind, but having to care for children that are the result of it??? Talk about messing with a child's brain.

Certainly abortion is traumatic occurance and shouldn't be nearly as common as it is today, but if it weren't for sickos like this step-"father" there wouldn't be situations like this where it was genuinely needed.

A C-section is considered "pretty major surgery" for a woman of any age, but at nine years old? Wow.

Agreed. The little Minnie Mouse girl in my avatar was delivered via c-section. It was well over a month before I could sneeze without feeling like I was going to pop a seam.

It's cases like these where the "NO abortion under ANY circumstances!" people lose me. How in the world is a nine year old's body capable of carrying twins to term? Or to a gestational point where the babies can be born and survive? And how can you do that without causing major trauma to the "mother's" (she's 9!!) body? There's no way she could deliver vaginally, and a c-section is pretty major surgery for a 9 year old. Plus, the children were the product of rape, which has to be hard enough on a 9 year old's mind, but having to care for children that are the result of it??? Talk about messing with a child's brain.

Certainly abortion is traumatic occurance and shouldn't be nearly as common as it is today, but if it weren't for sickos like this step-"father" there wouldn't be situations like this where it was genuinely needed.

I don't get the no abortion under any circumstance position either. Sicko is being a bit kind to the step-father...IMO. GAG!!!

Agreed. The little Minnie Mouse girl in my avatar was delivered via c-section. It was well over a month before I could sneeze without feeling like I was going to pop a seam.

My daughter was a C-section, too. I healed really well, and I could do stairs pretty easily after about 10 days, and laughing was fine too. I dreaded that first sneeze, though. I think I made it about 6 weeks, and then I got a sinus infection.

Doctors said the girl was 15 weeks pregnant when the abortion was performed Wednesday in the northeastern city of Recife, where Sobrinho is archbishop. Health officials said the life of the girl — who weighs 80 pounds — was in danger.

He should be released from his position.

He should be released from his position.

Only if he's violating policy.

I'm not overly familiar with the RC Church's policies on abortion and don't know if they ever consider it justified, but if they don't then you can hardly expect him to get in trouble for maintaining said policy. Not that we can't disapprove of said policy of course, but discipline by the RC Church is a call left up to the RC Church not us.

Edited by Dravin

I wonder how different peoples responses would be if they were catholic and has believed in this religious policy all of your life. Because you have never held this belief it's really easy to bash those that do - the same as with a lot of our beliefs that we all get so angry about when people take issue with them, yes?

I don't know how their excommunication works, however if it is anything like our church where it is supposed to be done out of love and kindness in order to help them repent, then what he was doing by excommunicating her was helping her, not punishing her, in his own eyes and in the eyes of the catholic church.