where is the line of repentance

stevendf

Where is the line of repentance? The question I am actually asking is at what point do you feel that it is needed to talk to your bishop? Is it the 10 commandments? Someone very dear to me (and yes I mean someone very dear to me) is going through a very difficult time. He made some extremely poor decisions about a year ago, and although he did not commit adultry, he did get to physical with a woman who was not his wife (hugging, touching her chest) he has not gotten back back on track and stopped taking the sacrament for a period of time (about 6 months) and he and his wife have worked things out to be stronger than ever and he has done everything that he can to be a better person and make up for things. But at the point of this all coming out, his wife said that she had a hard enough time getting over it already and that him telling the bishop would only make it harder for her again. He says that he truly feels ok with the lord and like he has done what he needs to do but he is not sure where the line is of if he should have talked to the bishop?

Going to the bishop is necessary when serious sins have been committed. Not knowing anything about the situation other than what you have posted here, I would think going to the bishop would be absolutely necessary.

I can actually sympathize with the wife here a bit.....I mean she has been thru so much. BUT this is about repentance of this individual. In that sense, it really has nothing to do with her. Both people in this situation need to realize that visiting the bishop is a loving and gentle experience. They need to remember that the Savior can heal their relationship better than they can alone. They should open every door to let that divine miraculous influence into their situations.

This man should not seek to hide his sins or justify his actions. He should not have decided to discontinue the sacrament on his own. He should, in this case, not determine his worthiness on his own.

I also have questions about whether or not this person is endowed or holding priesthood. If so, then the sin is greater and involving the bishop becomes more important.

Hopefully this brother will have the humility to seek thorough repentance and that this sister will have faith that no further trauma will come to her as she puts her trust in the Lord.

In my opinion confession to the bishop is an accountability thing. I have someone very near to me who went down the same road, a little further, and was disfellowshiped. Besides not taking the sacrament , and not praying in meetings, the repentance process wasn't anything that wouldn't be expected of all members (I.E. Pray for forgiveness, study the scriptures etc.)

That being said there is nothing wrong with having someone physical there to "help keep one honest" especially if it something that has the potential to come up again.

My .02 cents.

Where is the line of repentance? The question I am actually asking is at what point do you feel that it is needed to talk to your bishop? Is it the 10 commandments? Someone very dear to me (and yes I mean someone very dear to me) is going through a very difficult time. He made some extremely poor decisions about a year ago, and although he did not commit adultry, he did get to physical with a woman who was not his wife (hugging, touching her chest) he has not gotten back back on track and stopped taking the sacrament for a period of time (about 6 months) and he and his wife have worked things out to be stronger than ever and he has done everything that he can to be a better person and make up for things. But at the point of this all coming out, his wife said that she had a hard enough time getting over it already and that him telling the bishop would only make it harder for her again. He says that he truly feels ok with the lord and like he has done what he needs to do but he is not sure where the line is of if he should have talked to the bishop?

The first move is to talk to the Bishop....it will not remove the sin but to remove the curse and that itself is the blessing. His confession of a bad mistake will be a credit to him before the Lord.

Guest Alana

I don't think that the wifes involvement in his talking to the bishop would be very extensive. He might want to talk to her and get her feel on things, but if she's truly getting over this, then that meeting will be a good time to be honest, receive inspiration and guidance and all in all be a good experience.

When ever there is problems with chastity, thought or action, with an other person, by yourself, phone, internet, books, anything that is a problem, the bishop is a very important tool in the repentance process.

I would encourage my friend to speak with the bishop, besides, he can always mention that his wife is dealing buy might be uncomfortable in talking at length if not needed about the situation.