What C.S. Lewis thought about Mormons

KeithLBrown

LOL - this has to be one of the most off-the-subject threads ever!

Whatever the rival depravities of celebrities now and celebrities then, the OP was talking about C.S. Lewis, an Oxford (and later Cambridge) professor of Medieval and Renaissance Literature who gave radio talks on Christianity in the 1940's. I'm baffled why Churchmouse thinks he's got anything to do with "Rap music about shooting police officers and gang raping women".

Edited by Jamie123

In turn, I think you're whitewashing the past, Churchmouse. "Copperhead Road" by Steve Earl is about a police murdering drug cultivator, "Mr. Tambourine Man" is about a drug pusher and Gone With the Wind glorified Rhett raping Scarlett, who said "I needed that."

None of these are 'Hey, gang! Let's have a fun beach party.'

If you'd like, I can point out several more sources. Is it the language you object to? It's okay to talk about murder or glorify sexual assault as long as you don't have a potty mouth talking about it?

Gee, I wonder why they have ratings today and didn't then. I was around then. Can't push that argument on someone my age. Sorry.

Gee, I wonder why they have ratings today and didn't then. I was around then. Can't push that argument on someone my age. Sorry.

I'm... Not sure what that means, Churchmouse. Are you saying that rape wasn't glorified in Gone with the Wind? Or are you saying that Copperhead Road wasn't about John Lee Pettimoore growing marijuana and laying out traps to kill cops?

You actually didn't posit an argument, Churchmouse. You just said I can't use that argument.

Well, I'll return the favor.

You can't use that argument, either.

Churchmouse:

Talking about how horrible and destructive Hollywood is, is a valid subject for discussion. I think you might find a good deal of agreement with your position, if you were to open a thread on the subject.

People are reacting strongly to you here, because you've hijacked a thread about C. S. Lewis - who (if you haven't figured it out now) really has nothing to do with what you are talking about.

Why don't you start a new thread about the moral dangers of Hollywood? That way, people on this thread can get back to discussing what C.S. Lewis thought about mormons...

LM

Churchmouse:

Talking about how horrible and destructive Hollywood is, is a valid subject for discussion. I think you might find a good deal of agreement with your position, if you were to open a thread on the subject.

People are reacting strongly to you here, because you've hijacked a thread about C. S. Lewis - who (if you haven't figured it out now) really has nothing to do with what you are talking about.

Why don't you start a new thread about the moral dangers of Hollywood? That way, people on this thread can get back to discussing what C.S. Lewis thought about mormons...

LM

Heck loudmouth, I don't want to start a thread everyone is going to agree with. I want something to argue about. After 25 years of fighting it out with liberal teachers in the teachers lounge I feel lost being retired. What's a fella to do.:):):)