Garments...just can't wear them!!!

kpatrey

I felt like, no one actually has half a chance of making it to heaven because of what we are asked to do is almost impossible to live fully. It seems unless you are an uber-mormon doing everything 100% it is not worth living it.

Soul_Searcher, I'm very sorry you feel this way. I do, too, when I forget what the gospel is all about. Have you read Robert Stevenson's "Believing Christ" and "Following Christ"? He talks very well about that. Nobody can keep all of the commandments all of the time, and that's why we have Christ who makes up the rest for us. So, in eyes of God a person who keeps commandments to the degree of 10% is no worse than a person who keeps them to the degree of 90%, providing that both of them do their best (and "one person's" best and "another person's" best can be very different). Through Christ they are both made perfect. Without Christ both of them will have no place in any of the kingdoms. So it is important to never give up.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lord gives us commandments and they are the recipe for happiness. Difficult as they may be, He will not give us commandments that can not keep. It is with practice and diligence that the impossible becomes difficult and the difficult becomes achievable and thus we move on teh road to perfection one short step at a time.

Keep an eye on the whisperings of the enemy that points to your weakness and inadequacies. Rather, trust in the words of the Lord and follow the admonition of His prophets:

"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them." 1 Ne 3:7

Other manufactures also make wonderful underwear that look like garment:

http://www.maidenform.com/catalog/product.jsp?prodType=ms&wtlCategory=Matching%20Style%20CrossSell&productId=71543 (this is a camisole - it's sleevless, but I was trying to show that it can be very lightweight and thin)

Flexees Shapewear Thigh Slimmer

- bottoms

Flexees Shapewear offers Thigh Slimmers and other Shapewear in full figure and plus sizes

Notice that they are all made out of nylon (also known as polyamide) with elastan. This makes them lightweight, very sheer, very soft, very comfortable. Unfortunately, the Church used polyester in Carinessa garments, making them thick, hot, itchy, and not sheer. I guess that if people made requests for good quality garments like the one in the links - we would have them eventually. I just think not too many people realise what is available.

I think part of the point of wearing garments is that they aren't like any other foundation you can buy out there. They are different. Personally, I think that in and of itself is part of the point.

I don't think so. The swiss garment looked very much different from what we have today. The worst things about garment bottoms to me are (1) thick, narrow, tight elastic waistband, (2) lace or serge finish on the bottom that make visible lines under clothes and (3) very high waist that comes all the way to the bra, almost. Swiss garmend didn't have any of that. I don't see any doctrinal reasons not to make better elastic band, flat finish on the legs, normal waist, and good fabric like polyamide/elastan blend. You see, original 19 century garments were so much different from what we have today. And they are trying to make them better, they are just lacking adequate feedback, because garments are bought anyway. When it was mentioned to somebody in the distribution department that current elastic band on the waist is tight, thick and narrow, cutting into the body, he was very suprised and said that nobody had mentioned this before. Though I know a lot of women have this problem.

I've never found them uncomfortable. In fact before I was endowed I always found bras uncomfortable but when I discovered I could wear my bra over the top of my garments I have been comfortable ever since. I've never had problems with the elastic waistband digging in either. In fact the nylon mesh waistband seems very gentle and comfortable. I have tried different materials but prefer the nylon mesh.

[shrug] I'm 5'4", and my waistband sits at my waist where it belongs, in the regular size, nor do I have trouble with tightness (since I buy my correct size instead of buying smaller so they'll be shorter and I can wear shorter stuff, as some women do), and the waistbands on most of my pants or skirts are thicker.

I simply do not understand how if you're buying the correct size that garment wear is such utter torture as some are describing.

Seanette I agree. The garment bottom is intended to be knee length. The top with cap sleeves (for women). If you get the right size the waist band doesn't go higher than the waist.

Garments are also not intended to be skin tight. Skin tight clothing is a modesty issue. The pics of Spanx and the other commercial foundation garments do not meet the coverage requirements and they are skin tight.

The garment is not only to remind us of our covenants but to also remind us to be modest. Modesty is as much an attitude as it is being covered properly. There are other threads on modesty if anyone is interested.

Guest TheLutheran

We have many Old German Baptists in our area. The young ladies begin to wear the traditional handcrafted dress after baptism (usually around age 14) along with the prayer cap. The dress is obviously modest and clearly illustrates that the Old German Baptists are in this world, not of it. I have often wondered why LDS have not adopted a similar tradition. :sunny: