Garments...just can't wear them!!!

kpatrey

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Islander-

It may be psychological, but at the same time I am sure there are many others who have felt the same way and have made the choice to not wear them. There is really no way a person is gonna know if they are going to want to do it until they try. I tried it for months and it's just not working for me. Should I just suck it up, many will say yes. I guess my question that I was hoping to get an answer for is one that can't be answered.

I've only been a member for a short time, covenants are very important to me but at the same time HF and Jesus know my shortcomings and I feel they will be compasionate should my judgement come tomorrow.

Islander-

It may be psychological, but at the same time I am sure there are many others who have felt the same way and have made the choice to not wear them. There is really no way a person is gonna know if they are going to want to do it until they try. I tried it for months and it's just not working for me. Should I just suck it up, many will say yes. I guess my question that I was hoping to get an answer for is one that can't be answered.

I've only been a member for a short time, covenants are very important to me but at the same time HF and Jesus know my shortcomings and I feel they will be compasionate should my judgement come tomorrow.

So are you asking us if it's ok for you not to wear the garment? If that's your question, I doubt you will find many here to say that. I think you should counsel with your bishop. I'm still not sure why you find them so uncomfortable or why you do not wish to wear them, but it is part of your covenant to do so. Whether you decide to obey or not is your decision, but remember that if you choose to not wear your garments, then you should turn in your recommend. One of the questions of the temple recommend interview regards wearing the garment.

Looks like Jenamarie crossed that finish line first....

oye... too bad there isn't a "hide thread" button.... now my wife will never want to go to the temple....besides.... life was simpler without knowing about "over/under"

No...it's good that she knows there are options. Before I joined the church I asked, "do I have to change my clothing?" I was told no! This was a huge change and I would've liked for people to be more upfront and honest. I would have waited probably several years before I went for my endowment.

So are you asking us if it's ok for you not to wear the garment? If that's your question, I doubt you will find many here to say that. I think you should counsel with your bishop. I'm still not sure why you find them so uncomfortable or why you do not wish to wear them, but it is part of your covenant to do so. Whether you decide to obey or not is your decision, but remember that if you choose to not wear your garments, then you should turn in your recommend. One of the questions of the temple recommend interview regards wearing the garment.

No, not asking if it was okay. I think it is my choice in the end. I stopped going to the temple because i didn't want to be a hypocrite. I have no plans in the near future of asking for another temple recommend. I guess I will ask the Bishop if this voids my sealing for my family. I think that is what I was looking for an answer to. Maybe I should have been more specific, sorry about that.

Thanks for everyone's comments. Who knows if I will change my mind in the years to come.

Asked in a nice non-prurient way: How many D's can you have before the letter changes upward?

:confused:

A 46DDD is the same as a 46E. 'E' just sounds fat, while 'DDD' sounds hotttttt.

How many do you need?

Oh my, where's the laugh button?

Islander-

Wearing the garment (and wearing it as instructed) is part of the covenant you made. If you choose to break that, it is between you and the Lord, but you will be held accountable for it in the end. You're right that no one would know just by looking at you (unless you are wearing clothing that clearly wouldn't cover the garment), but you would know and the Lord would know. It's not a covenant to be taken lightly.

No...it's good that she knows there are options. Before I joined the church I asked, "do I have to change my clothing?" I was told no! This was a huge change and I would've liked for people to be more upfront and honest. I would have waited probably several years before I went for my endowment.

When you asked about whether or not you had to change your clothing, most people probably thought you meant "Do I have to wear a uniform, like nuns?" or "Do I have to wear long sleeves and long skirts, like the Amish and the FLDS?" The answer to both of those is 'no.' The answer to your question as you intended it is also 'no.' One does not have to change their manner of dress when they become a member of the LDS Church. If they choose to partake of the covenants available in the temples, then they may need to change their clothing, depending on how they already dressed.

Personally, I think it's a small change to adjust my sleeve length and the scoop of my sweater in order to keep a covenant I've made.

I think I will have to disagree. The Church Handbooks clearly state that member should not alter the Garment from its authorized design. Also, just for the record, members may not make their own Garments, nor may they make their own ceremonial clothing (except that they make make their own apron from a kit available from the Distribution Center.

Apparently, my in-laws were never aware of this. DH and I use aprons made at home, using a tracing of the design (MIL embroidered mine, I did DH's, and she did most of the assembly, since sewing machines don't like me), then we teamed up for one for DFIL a few years later (I did the embroidery, she did the assembly). In all the Temples I've been in, the only comment I've ever gotten on mine was complimentary.

Apparently, my in-laws were never aware of this. DH and I use aprons made at home, using a tracing of the design (MIL embroidered mine, I did DH's, and she did most of the assembly, since sewing machines don't like me), then we teamed up for one for DFIL a few years later (I did the embroidery, she did the assembly). In all the Temples I've been in, the only comment I've ever gotten on mine was complimentary.

Are you talking about the white gown you wear in the temple? My DMIL made my gown that I wore for our sealing. It was like a wedding dress. Awesome.

Are you talking about the white gown you wear in the temple? My DMIL made my gown that I wore for our sealing. It was like a wedding dress. Awesome.

To clarify, members may make their own temple dresses. It is the ceremonial clothing they are not permitted to make themselves.

Seanette, no one is going to point out that yours is handmade in the temple. But, to correctly make an apron at home, you should contact the distribution center as they have material and pattern and instructions on how to make it (I mean not how to sew, but that you should not make them with other women, have a reverent attitude, don't do it in public...that kind of instructions).

I would actually phone the Temple Matron rather than go to your Bishop - I know when I went for my endownment and sealing both Temple Matron's said they were there for that kind of enquiry.

I have also found the Sisters at the distribution centre very helpful when it comes to fit and material etc

-Charley

I would actually phone the Temple Matron rather than go to your Bishop - I know when I went for my endownment and sealing both Temple Matron's said they were there for that kind of enquiry.

I have also found the Sisters at the distribution centre very helpful when it comes to fit and material etc

-Charley

I agree. That's why they are there....both the matrons and the women at the distribution centers.

I haven't read all the posts so I hope that I am not repeating any one and if so......sorry!!

When I took out my endowments I worked as a lifeguard............literally all my work time was spent in swim suits and boxer shorts. It did take awhile to get used to my garments but I did. Pray for guidance but be assured that you will be blessed for wearing them.

I admit to being clueless about the ins and outs of garments, but can you sort of alter them a bit? I don't mean cutting them or altering the length, but maybe sew up a side-seam?

If the garment is too loose in the sides of the legs or not loose enough, or you are unable to find them in the proper size (my VT Companion is an extremely small person- a size 0 is too big!)- you do NOT alter your garments in any way shape or form. You call the Distribution Center and you order them to fit. You may have to send them your body measurements - they will tell you on the phone. Once my VT Companion got the size that fit- she used a special order # for them.

Also, I have two tops and a bottom that have cuts in them. I will have to return them to the Distrubution Center (Beehive Clothing) next to the Temple to get replacements. I was told by the Temple Matron, not to mend them, but to bring them in for replacement.

The only part of the garment that can be repaired is the elestic waist. Again you get the elastic from the Beehive Clothing. I think it is even free.

Asked in a nice non-prurient way: How many D's can you have before the letter changes upward? :confused:

Three D's then it goes to E.

For multiple E's and up, most retail stores do not carry those sizes. My oldest sister was a 54 FF and had to have hers made. Cost her $60.00 each, this was back in the early 70's. Prior to her death in 1997- she was paying $150.00 per bra. They were true Over The Shoulder Boulder Holders:D

A 46DDD is the same as a 46E. 'E' just sounds fat, while 'DDD' sounds hotttttt.

Just got back from the restroom- took off my blouse, unhooked the bra (7 hooks) put on the reading glasses and yep, there are three D's.

I am 57 years old- a very, very far cry from wanting to be Hotttt!

Remember what was said to you during the anointing and clothing. Those words should be deep in your memory, and THAT is the driving fundamental reason to wear them.

Don't look for excuses to NOT wear the garment, instead find a way to wear them comfortably. Try all the different styles and cloth types. work at it. You made a commitment. Live up to it.

Speak with the Temple President's wife.

Go through an initiatory again (for another person who is dead) and really listen to these words.

These are the garments of the Holy Priesthood. when you wear them you are clothed in the garment of the Holy Priesthood. This is not just underwear. You are "on duty" so to speak. YOU are held to a higher level of responsibility, and you are held to a higher standard. If you are not capable of living up to that standard, you will eventually be so. But this is not passive, you must try to become so. You must work at it.

Edited by hankpac

Remember what was said to you during the anointing and clothing. Those words should be deep in your memory, and THAT is the driving fundamental reason to wear them.

Don't look for excuses to NOT wear the garment, instead find a way to wear them comfortably. Try all the different styles and cloth types. work at it. You made a commitment. Live up to it.

Go through an initiatory again (for another person who is dead) and really listen to these words.

These are the garments of the Holy Priesthood. when you wear them you are clothed in the garment of the Holy Priesthood. This is not just underwear. You are "on duty" so to speak. YOU are held to a higher level of responsibility, and you are held to a higher standard. If you are not capable of living up to that standard, you will eventually be so. But this is not passive, you must try to become so. You must work at it.

Thank you, thank you,Thank you, thank you,Thank you, thank you,Thank you, thank you,Thank you, thank you,Thank you, thank you,Thank you, thank you.

Very well said. Thank you!:twothumbsup:

Kpatry,

I understand you very well, because I have a very hard time wearing it, as well (after 8 years). And yet I encourage you not to give up. I think you are a wonderful person, since temple marrige and coveants are so important to you. And I think there are legitimate reasons for your discomfort and dislike. God does not command people in everything, so the poor design and quality are not His work. And there is a hope for the better. I will explain what I mean.

I live in Europe. When I received my endownment in 2000 in Sweden temple, I had a very warm and special feeling, even though it was my first pair of garment and it fitted very badly. It was as if I had a constant hug from the Spirit. It was wonderful.

But as I tried several styles and fabrics, none seemed to fit right. And then ladies at the distribution center showed me so called Swiss garment - which was more expensive, but it was incredibly better - nothing to compare. There was a girl with us, who was short and skinny - and all bottoms looked terrible on her. Shy was shocked and almost crying - until I gave her the swiss garment bottom - and she was HAPPY!

At the first site Swiss garment looked to me like a very fine sports underwear. When I took it out from the bag - it was tiny - like for a 5-year old girl - it just stretched so well. It was made out of very fine cotton, and bottoms didn't have any finish on bottoms of the legs - no hems, no lace, no searge - the fabric itself was weaven in such a way that the edge was absolutely flat, like a piece of paper. That means - no lines under pants and skirts, no rolling up, no lace that cuts blood cirluation, and - it looked classy.

Besides that, the elastic band on Swiss garment was two times wider and about 5 times thinner, and very stretchable - like on any commercial panties, and no ugly square piece of tape to connect the elastic on the back. It means you don't feel it on your stomac, it doesn't cut into your body. Besides that, it was sitting below the waistline, not too low, of course, but low enough. And finally, legs were shorter. The last two things are very helpful for comfort and security. I always cover my belly with clothes, and I wear skirts below knee, but to have garments shorter means that I do not worry every second wheather it would be seen by others accidentally.

And they stopped manufacturing it! I almost thought that there was some doctrinal reason for the garment not to look classy, to have that awful thick and tight waistband, this very same lace year after year, and for the bottoms to reach to the armpits. But I learned later, that the Swiss garment was not manufactured by the Church, but rather by some outside manufacturer, who started to charge way too much for making them, and the Church discontinued using them. So it was a price question. But instead of picking up all the good things that were introduced by that manufacturer, the Church manufacturer continues in their old ways.

This is sad, but I'm sure it can get better, providing that people will not suffer in scielence. There is the Distribution department in the Church that oversees making garments, and unless they receive our complaints and suggestions, they are not very likely to realise that there is a problem. Garments will be bought anyway, so there is no adequate feedback in terms of sales.

Also, I think that once women start wearing garment, they can loose track of new developments in the underwear industry, and thus older ladies might not have many complaints. They might not realise what great and comfortable underwear you can buy now in the stores. And yonger ones, just like you, will of course see the big difference, but, realising that garments are sacred - will not be able to speak up. I personally think that garments can be manufactured to look great, feel comfortable, and be invisible under clothes.

BUT: I think that whatever it takes, it is not worth it to stop wearing garment. It's the eternity, and the eternal marriage that will be jeopardised. God is very kind and loving, and He can do miracles, and He does have compassion on you, even right now as you struggle, but we are here not only to enjoy life and live in comfort. Maybe for you (and me, for that matter), it is a personal test of obedience and commitment. To see, weather we will obey God in ALL things, or only in that which is comfortable to us. We grow through struggle. Some struggle because they have no food, some live in tiny shads, others don't have sight, and yet others are small children abused and abandoned by their parents, with nobody to care for them. However uncomfortable garmet might be - it's not the harderst trial in life.

I also think that it's the head and the heart that have very much to do with how we feel about garment. Not so much the body. When I started wearing garment, I didn't wear just Swiss ones. I also found Drisilque ones to be OK. I was young, I wore office suits and skirts, and nylon tights, and pants, and jeans. I was absolutely fine. But over the years I started to have a problem. It comes from the head, I think. Though I still think that garments could be made much, much better.

Just don't give up. I think for myself, that it would be awful to stand in the presence of God, to know how much He loves me, how much He wants me to be with Him, and to know that it's too late, and nothing could be done, just because of this one thing.

Just don't give up. I think for myself, that it would be awful to stand in the presence of God, to know how much He loves me, how much He wants me to be with Him, and to know that it's too late, and nothing could be done, just because of this one thing.

So you think that for all the good you do, the charity, the love, living the gospel etc, will all be for nothing unless you wear the garment? Is this really the God we believe in? A God who will keep a wonderful person out of heaven because they wanted to be comfortable so forsook the garment? If this is the type of God that exists then I dont want to live with him. I personally think our works are more important than our underwear.

It's not a question of clothes, Soul Seeker, it's a question of honoring one's promises to God and one's willingness to obey Him, and the clothing question can very well represent whether you're willing to submit your will to God's or whether you stubbornly insist on your own way regardless of your covenants or His stated wishes.