Nephi Died?

Justice

I'm not going to offer much commentary at first. If you don't see my question, please ask. If you see my question, please comment.

Follow this scripture chain to see what I'm pondering:

3 Nephi 1:

2 And Nephi, the son of Helaman, had departed out of the land of Zarahemla, giving charge unto his son Nephi, who was his eldest son, concerning the plates of brass, and all the records which had been kept, and all those things which had been kept sacred from the departure of Lehi out of Jerusalem.

CHAPTER 11

The Father testifies of his Beloved Son—Christ appears and proclaims his atonement—The people feel the wound marks in his hands and feet and side—They cry Hosanna—He sets forth the mode and manner of baptism—The spirit of contention is of the devil—Christ’s doctrine is that men should believe and be baptized and receive the Holy Ghost. [A.D. 34]

8 And it came to pass, as they understood they cast their eyes up again towards heaven; and behold, they saw a Man descending out of heaven; and he was clothed in a white robe; and he came down and stood in the midst of them; and the eyes of the whole multitude were turned upon him, and they durst not open their mouths, even one to another, and wist not what it meant, for they thought it was an angel that had appeared unto them.

9 And it came to pass that he stretched forth his hand and spake unto the people, saying:

10 Behold, I am Jesus Christ, whom the prophets testified shall come into the world.

3 Nephi 19:

4 And it came to pass that on the morrow, when the multitude was gathered together, behold, Nephi and his brother whom he had raised from the dead, whose name was Timothy, and also his son, whose name was Jonas, and also Mathoni, and Mathonihah, his brother, and Kumen, and Kumenonhi, and Jeremiah, and Shemnon, and Jonas, and Zedekiah, and Isaiah—now these were the names of the disciples whom Jesus had chosen—and it came to pass that they went forth and stood in the midst of the multitude.

3 Nephi 23:

7 And it came to pass that he said unto Nephi: Bring forth the record which ye have kept.

3 Nephi 28:

3 And he said unto them: Blessed are ye because ye desired this thing of me; therefore, after that ye are seventy and two years old ye shall come unto me in my kingdom; and with me ye shall find rest.

12 And it came to pass that when Jesus had spoken these words, he touched every one of them with his finger save it were the three who were to tarry, and then he departed.

4 Nephi:

18 And how blessed were they! For the Lord did bless them in all their doings; yea, even they were blessed and prospered until an *hundred and ten years had passed away; and the first generation from Christ had passed away, and there was no contention in all the land.

19 And it came to pass that Nephi, he that kept this last record, (and he kept it upon the plates of Nephi) died, and his son Amos kept it in his stead; and he kept it upon the plates of Nephi also.

Anything interesting about this? How do you understand it? Did you do the math?

Edited by Justice

Yeah. We know that Moses didn't really die, but it said he did.

We know these scriptures are all talking about the same Nephi.

The math suggests Nephi was one of the 3 Nephites, because he did not die at the age of 72. Or, he was not one of the 3 Nephites and the age of 72 was figurative, not actual years.

However, the fact that he died could be that he "separated himself from them" and to hide his identity as one of the 3 Nephites they said he died.

I'm not going to offer much commentary at first. If you don't see my question, please ask. If you see my question, please comment.

Follow this scripture chain to see what I'm pondering:

3 Nephi 1:

2 And Nephi, the son of Helaman, had departed out of the land of Zarahemla, giving charge unto his son Nephi, who was his eldest son, concerning the plates of brass, and all the records which had been kept, and all those things which had been kept sacred from the departure of Lehi out of Jerusalem.

CHAPTER 11

The Father testifies of his Beloved Son—Christ appears and proclaims his atonement—The people feel the wound marks in his hands and feet and side—They cry Hosanna—He sets forth the mode and manner of baptism—The spirit of contention is of the devil—Christ’s doctrine is that men should believe and be baptized and receive the Holy Ghost. [A.D. 34]

8 And it came to pass, as they understood they cast their eyes up again towards heaven; and behold, they saw a Man descending out of heaven; and he was clothed in a white robe; and he came down and stood in the midst of them; and the eyes of the whole multitude were turned upon him, and they durst not open their mouths, even one to another, and wist not what it meant, for they thought it was an angel that had appeared unto them.

9 And it came to pass that he stretched forth his hand and spake unto the people, saying:

10 Behold, I am Jesus Christ, whom the prophets testified shall come into the world.

3 Nephi 19:

4 And it came to pass that on the morrow, when the multitude was gathered together, behold, Nephi and his brother whom he had raised from the dead, whose name was Timothy, and also his son, whose name was Jonas, and also Mathoni, and Mathonihah, his brother, and Kumen, and Kumenonhi, and Jeremiah, and Shemnon, and Jonas, and Zedekiah, and Isaiah—now these were the names of the disciples whom Jesus had chosen—and it came to pass that they went forth and stood in the midst of the multitude.

3 Nephi 23:

7 And it came to pass that he said unto Nephi: Bring forth the record which ye have kept.

3 Nephi 28:

3 And he said unto them: Blessed are ye because ye desired this thing of me; therefore, after that ye are seventy and two years old ye shall come unto me in my kingdom; and with me ye shall find rest.

12 And it came to pass that when Jesus had spoken these words, he touched every one of them with his finger save it were the three who were to tarry, and then he departed.

4 Nephi:

18 And how blessed were they! For the Lord did bless them in all their doings; yea, even they were blessed and prospered until an *hundred and ten years had passed away; and the first generation from Christ had passed away, and there was no contention in all the land.

19 And it came to pass that Nephi, he that kept this last record, (and he kept it upon the plates of Nephi) died, and his son Amos kept it in his stead; and he kept it upon the plates of Nephi also.

Anything interesting about this? How do you understand it? Did you do the math?

Could you name the three Nephites?

Good point, pam. (grabbing quad, turning to index) There are four distinct men named Nephi listed in the Book of Mormon, says the index (one suggestion I've heard and liked is to go through your BoM and mark the superscript numbers from the index to distinguish different people of the same name). No offense to Justice, but I think he/she may be conflating different Nephis.

As far as I'm aware, the only ones who've remained on the earth without tasting of death would be John the Beloved and the Three Nephites (all apostles who specifically requested that blessing from Christ).

Not even close...how about the individual during the reign of Nephi [first], who accounted the individual who writings were found on the wall of temple? How about Alma the Younger? How about Samuel the Lamanite? Then there are others we are not privy too that were translated in the BoM.

Then we can change to the biblical where the ten tribes members. We simply do not have a record how many beside John. Enoch and his city. The Great High Priest who ruled over Salem and the many celestial souls within were lifted into the heavens. Countless more that are not written were translated that we may found out later as our scriptures will be edited. by the Master's servants.

Hemi, I wasn't talking about people being translated off the earth, I'm talking about people who simply stayed here (and stayed, and stayed.....)

I see your point.

But:D

Being "Translated" does not only mean being removed from the earth in bodily form,

but "changed". The blood changed to a pure water type substance and the flesh cleansed of all disease.

I am sure most have been transported to another world, but it could be. . .:rolleyes:

Bro. Rudick

Hemi, I wasn't talking about people being translated off the earth, I'm talking about people who simply stayed here (and stayed, and stayed.....)

We suspect that those who were taken do not return until after the Savior return. That is not true. Even Joseph was in the presence of several translated beings who return to the earth to either pass keys or to facilitate GOD's instruction.

Pam, I can tell you, there is a sister locally who can recite the three Nephites name. ;)

What grounds are there to assume that Aminadi and Samuel were translated? I see nothing which suggests that.

Aminadi was not translated. He was burnt alive and was required as a judgmental testament against the wicked servants and King Noah.

What was the last written statement for Samuel the Lamanite? Find a correlation with others who were translated, who had the same written statement? Do a comparison... If not, then approach the Godhead in prayer for an answer.

I see your point.

But:D

Being "Translated" does not only mean being removed from the earth in bodily form,

but "changed". The blood changed to a pure water type substance and the flesh cleansed of all disease.

I am sure most have been transported to another world, but it could be. . .:rolleyes:

Bro. Rudick

Blood replaced by the light...

Yes, I have only heard about John and the three Nephites that were allowed to 'Tarry' the earth.

I think most of us have also heard some of the stories where someone's car is broken down out in the middle of nowhere and suddenly a man appears and helpd the man with the broken down.

As soon as the man fires the automobile up and looks around to thank the person--they're gone.

I'm sure most of this could be folklore and such, as I'm sure they would have much more important things going on......but if you are stranded out in the middle of nowhere and desperate--how great would that be!

It does make you wonder what they are doing, where they mostly dwell?-- do the three Nephites ever re-unite at times or does John ever hook up with them and compare notes or do they usually dwell by themselves?

I'm sure they are about the Lord's buisness whatever it is--who knows if there could be more out there 'Tarrying' about the earth--Interesting.

Yes, I have only heard about John and the three Nephites that were allowed to 'Tarry' the earth.

I think most of us have also heard some of the stories where someone's car is broken down out in the middle of nowhere and suddenly a man appears and helpd the man with the broken down.

As soon as the man fires the automobile up and looks around to thank the person--they're gone.

I'm sure most of this could be folklore and such, as I'm sure they would have much more important things going on......but if you are stranded out in the middle of nowhere and desperate--how great would that be!

It does make you wonder what they are doing, where they mostly dwell?-- do the three Nephites ever re-unite at times or does John ever hook up with them and compare notes or do they usually dwell by themselves?

I'm sure they are about the Lord's buisness whatever it is--who knows if there could be more out there 'Tarrying' about the earth--Interesting.

Maybe they would do that if you are needed somewhere or something like that.

Aminadi was not translated. He was burnt alive and was required as a judgmental testament against the wicked servants and King Noah.

What was the last written statement for Samuel the Lamanite? Find a correlation with others who were translated, who had the same written statement? Do a comparison... If not, then approach the Godhead in prayer for an answer.

That would be Abinadi. Aminadi interpreted the writing on the temple.

It says that Samuel was never seen again among the Nephites. As they tried to kill him, I'm not surprised.