Fathering Rec's - Daddy to Son

Dr T

His favorite game for a long, long time will be playing with you. Be available. Even when you're tired. Even when the presentation went south. Be available. Even when you "still have just one more post to post. Be available.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My father....I am sure he loved/loves me. But he was removed. Never saw me play softball......even though I played using his old mit wishing every game he would come and cheer me from the sidelines. I hoped maybe he would recognize that I was a lot like him.

Fathers....love your little girls. Make sure they know you love them and are proud of them. There isn't anything else in this world that can substitute the influence of a father on a daughter and nothing else quite fills the whole when a father is absent. :)

Happy Father's Day to all you wonderful Fathers.

Remember that little boys get distracted by bugs and dirt and grass and other players and lots of other stuff when they start playing sports, even while a game is going on around them. Yelling does not help them love sports.

• 2 weeks later...
Oops I ought to have added teach him to never say "That's not my job (ever)." If a task need to be done show him that nothing is below him and how to humble himself and do what needs to be done no matter what position he holds in the company.

Ok time for a little bragging here.

All three of my girls learned to fish from me and love doing it. Their favorite dates were to have a guy take them fishing.

One of my daughters knows how to change her own flat tire.

One of my daughters more about the workings of a interna combustion engine that a lot of guys.

My son can change the car oil, fix a flat, his favorite wrench is his multi-tool. He too loves to fish.

I have seen more softball games, softball tournaments, marching band performances, plays, music performances, wrestling tournaments, rugby scrums, etc. than I ever thought possible and I loved every minute of it. It saddened me when my daughter decided not to play softball in college.

I have loved every minute and never thought that I missed a tv program or time to myself. I chose to bring them in to this world and it has been my responsibility to make sure they knew they were loved and important.

Ben Raines

I don't have daughters, so sometimes I feel "alone" when the 2 boys and their dad do "guy" things - like wrestle on the floor. Sometimes the boys try to wrestle with me (I really really don't like that game - they get too rough and I always end up with a bruise or 2) and I have to say, I'm a princess, I don't wrestle. I think it is good for the boys to know how to treat a girl gently. :-)

But then they get hurt and they cry like the dickens and my husband would say, "Man up!", and I would always go and "kiss the booboo" and my husband always tells me "Don't baby them!" to which I would always say, hey, you wrestle with them, I kiss their booboos and give them cuddles until they won't let me anymore. I think it's good for the boys to know they can be weak around me and it's okay.

And then they always "invade" our bed in the middle of the night. We would wake up with limbs all tangled up, with me half-off the bed. My husband put a clock in their bedroom and imposed the "not until 6AM" rule - they can't invade our bedroom until 6AM. But sometimes we would miss them, so we got rid of the rule. I figured, this is not going to last too long, so might as well enjoy it while they still want to!

Then I bore testimony and told my 2 boys I love them from the pulpit and my son complained at the end of sacrament that I'm embrassing him. That made me cry. But then, I guess it has to come sooner or later...