Customary food of Missouri & Illinois?

nimrod

Chicago, Illinois has a reputation for deep dish pizza, may not be the neck of the woods you are going to but it is an iconic dish from Illinois. Also the state fruit is apple and the state snack food is popcorn, but that's dubious information gathered from Wikipedia.org. As far as Missouri the same Wikipedia article says the state dessert is the ice cream cone. Teh Intraweb has also informed me that the state nut is the eastern black walnut, fish is the channel catfish and insect is the honey bee.

With this in mind you should have a snack of popcorn, a deep dish catfish pizza (two birds with one stone) and a scoop of apple, walnut and honey flavored ice cream on a cone for dessert.

Nauvoo is a SMALL town--no stoplights. The one place that is known there for their food is the Nauvoo Inn (or something like that). You can't miss it. Just look for a blue big house near the temple and it will have a lot of people in line. They have an all you can eat buffet and it's pretty good. Yummy mashed potatoes and their peach cobbler was divine.

I recommend asking the locals for their recommendations. That's what I do when I'm out of town. They know where the good food is.