Not making it to church today

Guest Alana

Guest Alana

So right before we are supposed to leave, my son gets sick. This happened two weeks ago with my husband, too. I teach sunday school for primary. I feel so frustrated that I keep just not showing up, I know they probably have to scramble to find someone at the last minute, as in right after sacrament ends and they realize I'm not there.

Anyone have ideas to help avoid this? I don't want to be a flake, but I need to be here for my sick family...

You know...family illness can't be scheduled and sometimes there is just no way around it. Is it just in the last couple of weeks or is this an ongoing pattern? The times your child is sick could your husband stay with your son just while you go teach your lesson so you can fulfill your obligation?

Guest Alana

You know...family illness can't be scheduled and sometimes there is just no way around it. Is it just in the last couple of weeks or is this an ongoing pattern? The times your child is sick could your husband stay with your son just while you go teach your lesson so you can fulfill your obligation?

Just recently, I'm almost always at church. My husband works on Sunday, so it isn't financially viable for him to stay home for that reason. My mother in law offered, but truthfully, if my son is throwing up, no one can help him like I can, ya know, the whole mommy thing. Dad does a good job, but he can not handle barf lol.

Totally understand. Also I didn't have that your husband works on Sunday as part of the equation here. If it's on a rare occasion that you are forced to miss...sometimes they just have to deal with it. It's part of any organization. Family also comes first.

You can't help missing if your child is sick but you can call your Primary Pres and let her know you won't be there. Better yet, you could call a friend in the church and ask her to substitute teach your class. She could come by and pick up the lesson you already have planned and it'll be a smooth Sunday in primary.

Yeah, but these people are generally supposed to be prepared if someone calls them in advance or not. Obviously they can't prepare a lesson, but they take the calling with the understanding that sometimes they might be called that morning when someone is sick, or they might find out right before or right after Sacrament meeting.

Edited by Wingnut

I think the best thing is to communicate the situation as soon as possible. If you know you are going to miss church, call the primary president or a counselor and let them know before church starts so they will not be wondering where you are. That will make you seem more reliable and less flaky. And it will give them time to arrange for a substitute. No one likes to be caught by surprise.

Most chapels aren't equipped with a wireless network, much less laptops for the classrooms.

I know. All in jest. :lol:

My past two trips to Gospel Essentials have resulted in no teacher and me being asked to wing it (I really need to start reviewing the lessons). I don't care. I don't know who didn't show, but I assume there was a reason. No biggie. It's a fun and unique challenge.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Alana

Have you considered www.gotomeeting.com ????

LOL oh man, yeah, I can totally picture them just setting up a lap top in the room while all 8 of my CTR 6-7 class sits there quietly. That is a very funny picture. Maybe if I had some kind of candy dispensing equipment in the room that I could control remotely there might be some what of a 1/2 of a percentage of it working:P Thanks for the hilarious visual.

I'm in Primary too. I teach Valiant 9 through 12.

I am very rarely absent, but our Primary presidency handed each of us a "Substitute Emergency Kit". It is a folder that has a lesson, handouts, and an activity (for my age group there are puzzles and word finds) for a very last minute kind of emergency.

You could make up one for yourself to have at the ready for just such an emergency. Make it a lesson from your book, maybe one at the very back. Usually there are more lessons than there are Sundays. Or just choose a generic lesson that is always good to go over, like baptism, repentance, the sacrament, etc. Just find somebody to pick it up on their way to church.

But like the others have stated, call a member of the Primary Presidency that morning to let them know you will not be there. Let them know whether you have been able to secure a substitute or not. They will truly appreciate the heads-up.

It might be a good idea to become familiar with the parents of the children in your class. I have been in Primary several times and at two different wards. In the other ward, we were instructed to use the parents of the children from our class as the first choice for substitutes.

It made sense, and it worked out well. I just contacted each parent asking them that if an emergency arose would they be able to substitute. I made a list of those who were willing to substitute and did not have callings that conflicted with the time of the class. I always kept the list of names with the contact numbers on hand in case of an emergency.

Hope those ideas help! ^_^

Guest Alana

So, I'm back at full force. Thanks for all the suggestions. We used to have an emergency sub list, but now the primary presidency is asking us to find our own subs. This is good and helps us branch out in the ward more, but not so good when church starts at 9am and at 8am my son wakes up covered in spots:P Or the fabulous on the way to church "mom, I need a bowl!!!" holy cow!!

Also, we just finished the temple prep class (8 lessons I think) so no more subs needed for that! This experience has thought me that having an extra lesson tucked into my bag or maybe even a talk for when the speaker doesn't show (hahahahahaha... we'll see;) is a good idea.