again I ask...

Guest missingsomething

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest missingsomething

Depends on the prophet! The prophets are real people, not clones of each other. They have their own opinions, agendas, and ways of operating. Some of them will encourage questioning, others won't. Personally, I think questioning is not only permissible, but necessary to true religion. The Restoration would never have happened, after all, had not Joseph Smith asked questions--he really went out on a limb!

Asking questions and openly discussing things do not automatically "bring the spirit of contention." The spirit of contention is something that we, as individuals, bring to the table and does not flow from the act of questioning. When you discuss things with people, remember that they are people, worthy of your love and respect even if their opinion is stupid. That should help avoid contention.

Peace,

HEP

Awesome points. I would say the church's stance is to question each doctrine for yourself to gain your own testimony of it from the spirit. THank you for a thoughtful response.

So how does one do that on a forum? A forum is words on a page. There is no body language on a forum. If someone is reading a particular tone that is the way they are interpreting it and may not even be what the person posting intended.

This is why they invented the emoticon. :):(:mad::eek::cool::o:confused:

Do the prophets provoke us to think (as in outside the box) intend us to question... if it brings the spirit of contention. Or do they want us to just ponder and pray about something.

One gentleman today said that they do want us to debate... and a sister said discuss not debate.

Im asking your thoughts.

My thought is that too many people give an opinion in a discussion as if their opinion was a fact, an absolute.

In my opinion--^_^--a discussion is not just between individuals who agree on a subject matter. I have had many discussions where there were differing viewpoints and the conversation never got ugly or contentious.

However, I have seen plenty of "right fighting". Almost always, the "right fighting" that I have witnessed has turned into hurt feelings, anger, contention, tears, and/or withdrawal of the Spirit.

Now, others can label the "right fighting" however they choose.

But from what I have witnessed, when a person issues a statement in arrogance, one upmanship, and/or anger then they are no longer discussing anything. They are making a stance and defying others to challenge or refute it. To me, that is when the Spirit is lost.

Our RS, EQ, HP, and Sunday School classes are a place of learning. Not all people can learn simply by lecture (I can't--I get bored). Some of us need visuals, discussions, background information, in-depth explanations, etc.

Our teachers are called to be leaders of a discussion, where the Spirit is supposed guide the teacher and the participants in gaining further knowledge. Sometimes this requires questions to be asked and answered.

The answers are not necessarily always going to come from the teacher. The answers can come from new members, long-time members, young, old, male, female, what-have-you.

I guess my thoughts are that discussions are vital and essential, as long as each person asks, answers, and participates with the Spirit. It is when the Spirit is lost, that the discussion becomes a matter of "right-fighting" or out-right ugliness.

But those are just my thoughts. :D

Edited by Tough Grits

Guest dec2057

Sounds like a problem with the wording. What means one thing to someone may mean something else to another.

There should not be blind acceptance without the person questioning within himself or herself whether it is true and applies to them. This is not confrontational or aggressive conflict, this is simply finding our personal path back home.

I think the rule of thumb is if the conversation gets negative, it's time to walk away. Contention is from the devil.

Another issue to consider is that conversation is an art. Just because you can "speak" it does not mean you know how t converse. We have no formal training, any longer, in how to present and argument or even to propose an idea without bias or advocacy. We tend to think that the universe ends at the tip of our nose and MUST be subject to OUR interpretation.

That is the fastest way to a fight.

I had a sudden insight while cooking dinner. I was stirring a large pot and realized it was hard work. It made me gain a greater appreciation for all the pot stirrers here. Without them the ingredients in our stew would clump together and we would have burnt spots, while other parts of the stew would be underdone.

If we did not have protagonists and antagonists on this or any message board, we would simply go around and make cooing sounds to one another and have a mediocre stew.

Stew over that for awhile...

:)

Personally, I don't like pot-stirrers. They are here only to cause controversy and to get people to fight internally. That does no one any good. I work with pot-stirrers and they cause much more pain and stress than is useful. They do those things for their own entertainment, they think it is funny to watch people become upset about half-truths and lies.

Pam, are you trying to discuss or debate this? And should my feelings be hurt and me offended by it?

Only you can choose to be hurt or offended by it. :P

Only you can choose to be hurt or offended by it. :P

Well, I suppose that's so. However, my TULIP friends would say I have no free will of my own, and so if I'm offended it was predestined that way....

And as it is, when it comes to the women in life, many men feel there is no free will, except to say, "Yes, dear."

Guest Believer_1829

Well then what the difference btwn a debate vs discussion then?

The perspective of the people engaged in the dialogue...

Some people like to ask thought provoking question for no other reason then to think a little deeper and hear others opinions.

Others believe that anything that remotely questions or even speculates about any aspect of their chosen religion is a debate and consider it "bashing".