How Important Is Regular Church Attendance?

I have been having a discussion with a friend of mine about Regular church attendance. Beside the obvious of going there to receive the sacrament, is it important?

I have met people who only go on occasion and they have a very strong faith based foundation. I have seen them years later and again have witnessed a very strong spiritual person with their heart in the right place. If upon judgment day, we are judged according to our hearts, this person should fair pretty well.

So I would like to ask for your opinion in what makes church so important to our salvation.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion SF, I believe that "church attendance" was mainly set up for a support system, social atmosphere, teaching doctrine, etc. It is where people of like mind in beliefs and faith can come together and learn from each other about God and the relationship they can have with him.

In this day and age there are many different ways to have the above without the traditional "church" setting. So many people can still learn and socialize re: God and our relationship with him and remain very firm in their faith. But just like reading a good book (holding the book, turning the pages, marking with dog ears, etc.), the atmosphere of a church setting is probably the best and connected way to have a strong faith and support system in regards to our relationship with God.

M.

I have become convinced that serving in the church is not so you can get some eternal reward. I see two reasons:

1. Most people will not perform service without a calling. Unless someone is called to be a home teacher they will not visit certain members - they will tend to make friends and forget about others. So to do things you will not do on your own.

2. To realize that church is not always about you and your needs. It is becoming a Good Samaritan and learning to value others as you do yourself.

I had a friend tell me he could worship as well in the wilderness as he could at church. My response was - How could you love and server others in the wilderness if you are the only one there?

The Traveler

Originally posted by Traveler@Jul 2 2005, 02:59 PM

I have become convinced that serving in the church is not so you can get some eternal reward.  I see two reasons:

1. Most people will not perform service without a calling.  Unless someone is called to be a home teacher they will not visit certain members - they will tend to make friends and forget about others.  So to do things you will not do on your own.

2. To realize that church is not always about you and your needs.  It is becoming a Good Samaritan and learning to value others as you do yourself.

I had a friend tell me he could worship as well in the wilderness as he could at church.  My response was - How could you love and server others in the wilderness if you are the only one there?

The Traveler

Traveler,

You have a very interesting perspective on church and service! :)

Originally posted by Traveler@Jul 2 2005, 02:59 PM

I had a friend tell me he could worship as well in the wilderness as he could at church. My response was - How could you love and server others in the wilderness if you are the only one there?

The Traveler

God is there. Isn't that what counts?

This is one of the very rare moments when I agree with Traveller...I don't think attending church just for the sake of it, or because you are told to do so, is such a big issue, but I agree with his sentiments regarding loving and serving one another...

Jesus fasted for 40 days in the wilderness in preparation for his mission. I do not doubt in anyway that one needs to prepare themselves. Following my 2-year mission and 2-year military service I found myself unprepared to function in society. So I tried the 40 days of fasting alone in the wilderness. A Native American that helped me to understand seeking out my spiritual guides living on only what G-d would provide encouraged me to try the experiment. One of the great lessons I learn is that you do not serve others by focusing on yourself, and you do not worship G-d unless you serve others.

I will not discount seeking spiritual help in the wilderness but if that is the only cog in your wheel you will fail your journey.

The Traveler

Guest bizabra

Originally posted by Traveler@Jul 2 2005, 01:59 PM

I have become convinced that serving in the church is not so you can get some eternal reward.  I see two reasons:

1. Most people will not perform service without a calling.  Unless someone is called to be a home teacher they will not visit certain members - they will tend to make friends and forget about others.  So to do things you will not do on your own.

2. To realize that church is not always about you and your needs.  It is becoming a Good Samaritan and learning to value others as you do yourself.

I had a friend tell me he could worship as well in the wilderness as he could at church.  My response was - How could you love and server others in the wilderness if you are the only one there?

The Traveler

You don't love and serve others when communing with Nature. Doing that is for yourself and your inner "zen". You must reach outside of yourself to your family, friends, neighbors, and others in your community.

CHURCH is NOT required in order to be a volunteer! There are many ways a person can be of use and show love and serve OUTSIDE of church.

Working in a food bank, with your local homeless shelter, mentoring a pregnant teenager, Big Brothers and Sisters, Scouts, etc. the list is very long of things to do to be of service that have nothing to do with any organized religion.

Your answer is glib, IMNSHO.

Guest st_garvan2

Go to Church - It's a commandment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You wont get a Temple recommend without one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go figure people!!!!!!

Church is True!!!

Originally posted by st_garvan2@Jul 5 2005, 10:43 PM

Go to Church - It's a commandment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is? Could you supply us with that "word for word" commandment please?

You wont get a Temple recommend without one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really? What happens if you attend a church that doesn't pass out "Temple recommends", does it still count?

Are you telling us st_garvan2 that the only reason you go to church is because you are "commanded" to, in order to received that "Temple recommend". Do you have any "personal, spiritual" conviction regarding church attendance, or is it just a "robotic" gesture?

M.

Guest st_garvan2

Ok.

Actually tell me one thing! It may not BE a commandment but then neither is the word of wisdom..

The important thing about going to church is the fellowship, the learning of doctrine, and most importantly partaking of the sacrament, where we renew covenants with God!

We are not always commanded to do things but we are tested to see if we will do the Lord's will in all things.

That is my personal belief... Oh a Temple recommend is important... well to those who want to serve God and be "saviors on mount zion".

I am not going to hand out Judgement upon anyone, especially those of other faiths...

..after all I can only judge what I do in this life, not what someone else does.... I do want others to choose whats right and I will encourage such.

st_garvan2

Originally posted by st_garvan2@Jul 6 2005, 04:44 PM

Ok.

Actually tell me one thing! It may not BE a commandment but then neither is the word of wisdom..

The important thing about going to church is the fellowship, the learning of doctrine, and most importantly partaking of the sacrament, where we renew covenants with God!

We are not always commanded to do things but we are tested to see if we will do the Lord's will in all things.

That is my personal belief... Oh a Temple recommend is important... well to those who want to serve God and be "saviors on mount zion".

I am not going to hand out Judgement upon anyone, especially those of other faiths...

..after all I can only judge what I do in this life, not what someone else does.... I do want others to choose whats right and I will encourage such.

st_garvan2

Thanks for the reply s_g2.

Now don't you wish you said all that in the first place. :D

M.

Originally posted by Maureen@Jul 1 2005, 11:35 AM

In my opinion SF, I believe that "church attendance" was mainly set up for a support system, social atmosphere, teaching doctrine, etc. It is where people of like mind in beliefs and faith can come together and learn from each other about God and the relationship they can have with him.

In this day and age there are many different ways to have the above without the traditional "church" setting. So many people can still learn and socialize re: God and our relationship with him and remain very firm in their faith. But just like reading a good book (holding the book, turning the pages, marking with dog ears, etc.), the atmosphere of a church setting is probably the best and connected way to have a strong faith and support system in regards to our relationship with God.

M.

Very good post Maureen.

I will share these ideas and some others with my friend. :)

Originally posted by bizabra+Jul 5 2005, 07:29 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bizabra @ Jul 5 2005, 07:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Traveler@Jul 2 2005, 01:59 PM

The Traveler

You don't love and serve others when communing with Nature. Doing that is for yourself and your inner "zen". You must reach outside of yourself to your family, friends, neighbors, and others in your community.

CHURCH is NOT required in order to be a volunteer! There are many ways a person can be of use and show love and serve OUTSIDE of church.

Working in a food bank, with your local homeless shelter, mentoring a pregnant teenager, Big Brothers and Sisters, Scouts, etc. the list is very long of things to do to be of service that have nothing to do with any organized religion.

I am not sure what you are implying? If service in not directly connected to one's covenant with G-d, what is the point of worship or covenant? If this is not regular but the exception - I think one is waisting their "regular" efforts.

The Traveler

I will answer this although some may or may not agree....Yes.... it is.

I have seen allot of people say I have grown and I dont attend.... :rolleyes: Have they? have they really grown or have they grown farther apart and held even stronger to the anti mormon attitude that will slowly tear through them, one wave at a time until nothing is left of there testimony. No matter what regilion you are, when you are not giving , you are not gaining in your testimony. To stay strong or strengthen your self, it is a constant process, a battle that is never over... :blink: That doesn't mean we cannot stop and be fine, oh sure we can...But for how long <_< how long before the foundation starts to crumble? How long before our children get to use to living the easy life... Its easy for some to say it doesn't matter, "I have been here way to long to know the truth to that".....I have watched several of you fall away, and others walk the line and say they are ok...I at one time tried to justify, its just one meeting only one.....But thats where it starts...It's not always (the bishop made us feel unwanted )....or one of my favorites....( Can you believe they called her, I'm never attending again )....No brothers and sisters....Its the small things that make us leave, like forgetting why we go, or how it made us feel, or even the love that was present when we were there. Does "not" attending our meetings here and there make us more avalable as a target...What do you think? So we may see someone here and there with strong faith, ask them how they are really doing at home? I'm mean Truly? Ask them if they feel as if over time they have lost something but they are not sure what it was....They may not say it, but they have. I have dealt with so many who have been in this situation.

I had one person sitting next to me in tears, telling me how she missed attending homemaking, but she felt like an outsider now. You know it may look all fine and dandy but its not !!!! All of our meetings were made to strengthen us, and help us to be able to hold strong to the rod, while we lend a hand to those around us, lifting them up along the way so that we may all return to him someday. These meetings had a purpose, to help us gain knowledge and strengthen what we already know to be true. I'm sorry if someone thinks I'm a little to strong headed...But when it comes to this topic Yes.............I am. I'm tired of seeing those I love loose ground and loose there way. The truth may be high and tight, but its right ! :D

Wow LT~ You made me think.

I am walking the line and think that I am ok, or I thought that I was ok not attending church like a good little lds should. (I have my reasons)

I have my faith basically in tact, it's not going anywhere, and I still feel a need to serve others, to be there for them if they need me, to do what I can to help those in need. It's a part of who I am, not a part of what I have been told to do by the church.

Then you had to go and say "...But for how long how long before the foundation starts to crumble?" Excellent point.....I can only say that the foundation is rock solid....it's the rest of the structure I should worry about huh? :unsure:

Guest bizabra
Originally posted by Traveler+Jul 8 2005, 08:48 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Traveler @ Jul 8 2005, 08:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -bizabra@Jul 5 2005, 07:29 PM

<!--QuoteBegin--Traveler@Jul 2 2005, 01:59 PM

The Traveler

I am not sure what you are implying? If service in not directly connected to one's covenant with G-d, what is the point of worship or covenant? If this is not regular but the exception - I think one is waisting their "regular" efforts.

The Traveler

What I am saying is that one need not be a member of a church, ANY church, to be a productive member of society. A theistic belief system is not required for a civic minded person to be of service to ones fellow man. Heading out to Nature to meditate or find solace by oneself is not a bad thing, but often gives a person the inner peace to make it through another day or week of life's BS.

My answer was in response to the idea that one cannot "love and serve others" if one is out alone in the woods communing with Nature.

No religious impetus is required to be a person who cares about others and who spends time and energy helping those in their community who need help. To imply that the only way that most humans can be motivated to be of service to others is by attending a church on a weekly regular basis is silly.

Regular CHURCH attendance is not an indicator of a persons compassion for others nor of their activities in pursuit of helping others.

Help me out here, what do YOU think is the point of worship or covenant?

Originally posted by bizabra@Jul 10 2005, 01:07 PM

What I am saying is that one need not be a member of a church, ANY church, to be a productive member of society. A theistic belief system is not required for a civic minded person to be of service to ones fellow man. Heading out to Nature to meditate or find solace by oneself is not a bad thing, but often gives a person the inner peace to make it through another day or week of life's BS.

I believe we both agree that wilderness isolation is not in its self a long term remedy of service – either to G-d or our fellow man.

I think there is some confusion between you and I concerning service. I am not so sure I agree with the concept that you can be as effective on your own without joining with others in some organization inspired by religious beliefs.

I am kind of a commit and do it or move on kind of person. The old I will do it while I feel like it and don’t expect any commitment kind of person – or if it gets a little tough, long or hard don’t count on me kind of person does not impress me as someone that has caught the vision of worshiping a G-d that ask us to love other as ourselves.

The thing I wonder about when someone says they do not need a church to be of service to others is that if they do not like attending church how can they develop the connection of devotion to others as an expression of worship? How can someone be committed to service to others when they have difficulty getting along with others in church setting?

The Traveler

Guest bizabra
Originally posted by Traveler+Jul 12 2005, 08:14 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Traveler @ Jul 12 2005, 08:14 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--bizabra@Jul 10 2005, 01:07 PM

What I am saying is that one need not be a member of a church, ANY church, to be a productive member of society.  A theistic belief system is not required for a civic minded person to be of service to ones fellow man.  Heading out to Nature to meditate or find solace by oneself is not a bad thing, but often gives a person the inner peace to make it through another day or week of life's BS.

I believe we both agree that wilderness isolation is not in its self a long term remedy of service – either to G-d or our fellow man.

I think there is some confusion between you and I concerning service. I am not so sure I agree with the concept that you can be as effective on your own without joining with others in some organization inspired by religious beliefs.

I am kind of a commit and do it or move on kind of person. The old I will do it while I feel like it and don’t expect any commitment kind of person – or if it gets a little tough, long or hard don’t count on me kind of person does not impress me as someone that has caught the vision of worshiping a G-d that ask us to love other as ourselves.

The thing I wonder about when someone says they do not need a church to be of service to others is that if they do not like attending church how can they develop the connection of devotion to others as an expression of worship? How can someone be committed to service to others when they have difficulty getting along with others in church setting?

The Traveler

Trav, not being part of a religious congragation says nothing about a persons ability to make and follow through committments. Ditt about getting along with others. If you recall, I did mention several groups that one could join up with to participate in service to our fellow man. I believe you are making the same fundamental mistake as those who claim that without religion, there is no basis for an ethical/ moral life.