Isaiah

threepercent

Isaiah has always been one of the hardest for me to understand. I have not studied this indepth. But I agree with JAG. The Book of Mormon refers to Isaiah quite frequently and explains it a little more in detail.

What do you think of how his books challenge the LDS belief that Church leaders are those that have the right and ability to define and interpret doctrine?

First, you have to establish that "Church leaders are those that have the right and ability to define and interpret doctrine" is itself doctrine and not just a widely held belief. For example, your wording here seems to remove the role of the Holy Ghost, revelation, inspiration, et al from those that are entitled to such and obligate the membership to blind and unquestioning adherence to the whims of those at the top of the organization. Not to mention, you fail to define "Church leaders" (primary presidents, prophets, seventies, etc.) or show how it is that you came to believe that he makes such a challenge. If there is room for intelligent discussion here, then it would seem a bit premature to question Gileadi's motives and possible contributions to the field of deciphering the Book of Isaiah. There are plenty of books that line the shelves of Deseret Book or articles in official Church magazines that have the occasional quirky opinion that it would be a little unfair to target him at the exclusion of the others.

Read what he says and listen to the promptings of the spirit. Even if you don't agree with an author completely, it may be that his perspective opens up a different way of looking at the world/scripture for you. I have read some of his works and while I don't agree with everything he posits, I do appreciate his perspective.

First, you have to establish that "Church leaders are those that have the right and ability to define and interpret doctrine" is itself doctrine and not just a widely held belief.

Why on earth do I have to establish that?

For example, your wording here seems to remove the role of the Holy Ghost, revelation, inspiration, et al from those that are entitled to such and obligate the membership to blind and unquestioning adherence to the whims of those at the top of the organization.

My wording said nor implied nothing about the Holy Ghost.

Not to mention, you fail to define "Church leaders" (primary presidents, prophets, seventies, etc.

I also failed to become the starting quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons but that beside the point, isn't it.

or show how it is that you came to believe that he makes such a challenge.

I guess that you are not particularly familiar with all his books or the Sept Six. The poster I responded to, however, implies that she is familiar with them.

If there is room for intelligent discussion here, then it would seem a bit premature to question Gileadi's motives and possible contributions to the field of deciphering the Book of Isaiah.

I don't know what you are talking about. I don't have any questions about his motives.

There are plenty of books that line the shelves of Deseret Book or articles in official Church magazines that have the occasional quirky opinion that it would be a little unfair to target him at the exclusion of the others.

Who are you suggesting that I should target? Why would I want to?

In case anyone's actually interested in LDS doctrinal commentary on Isaiah (vs. bashing and fault-finding), I recommend David Minert's "Simplified Isaiah for the Latter-day Saints". Basically, two columns with one having the KJV text (with notations on JST and Book of Mormon changes) and the other restating what Isaiah said in easier-to-follow language.

In case anyone's actually interested in LDS doctrinal commentary on Isaiah (vs. bashing and fault-finding), I recommend David Minert's "Simplified Isaiah for the Latter-day Saints". Basically, two columns with one having the KJV text (with notations on JST and Book of Mormon changes) and the other restating what Isaiah said in easier-to-follow language.

David Ridges also has one. It's rudimentary, though. Not so much commentary as simply a modernization of the verbiage. A great book for tackling Isaiah for the first time, though.

If you want to start before you're able to find some of the resources recommended on this thread, make use of the Bible Dictionary and the footnote references to other scriptures (especially BoM scriptures). Isaiah uses plenty of imagery and metaphors, and understanding the individual pieces of what he's writing will help to grasp the deeper meaning.