How would I survive without power?

nzorient

Don't know if this has been asked before, but has anybody studied differences in attitudes and behaviour of people that lived in biblical times verses our time today where we rely so much on electricity and they don't??

It means I would have to do everything while the sun is up. I imagine biblical people would get longer sleep too? - Could they be a healthier society?

Is there anyone out there that still lives like that today?

It just seems so hard to imagine life without power. Does this make us a lazier generation?

the amish do it for the most part... i think i could get into it, although most of my freinds live in my computer and i'd be cut off from them..but i think i could overall enjoy a life of no computers, electricy, motorcars, not a single luxury... all I would need is a good horse, and I would be content

I had to live with no power for about 3 weeks last year after Hurricane Ike hit the Houston area. It was hard but doable. I had no problem living without power, my computer, TV, etc. But without AC in this humidity I thought I was dying, lol.

I wouldn't mind living without all the luxuries brought on without electricity but please let me move somewhere with less humidity first so I can breath.

Don't know if this has been asked before, but has anybody studied differences in attitudes and behaviour of people that lived in biblical times verses our time today where we rely so much on electricity and they don't??

It means I would have to do everything while the sun is up. I imagine biblical people would get longer sleep too? - Could they be a healthier society?

Is there anyone out there that still lives like that today?

It just seems so hard to imagine life without power. Does this make us a lazier generation?

Looking at our avaiable technology, there is other feasible means in producing electicity or power friend. No! We don't need to look back on our past but look forward with the talented people GOD has given us.

Guest missingsomething

the amish do it for the most part... i think i could get into it, although most of my freinds live in my computer and i'd be cut off from them..but i think i could overall enjoy a life of no computers, electricy, motorcars, not a single luxury... all I would need is a good horse, and I would be content

Well some amish has started to use battery power....

Guest missingsomething

I would die w/o my power.... YIKES... made my heart pound to just consider it...

Does it make us lazier? I dont know - we just do different work now.... I am busier than ever I think because of power - and more production is expected out of me.... So where I have gained convienence in some areas... I make up for it in others.

But, I have to say...when I went to YW girls camp - we lived a week with no power -in tents, homemade fridges -(kept things cool in the stream) - cooked on homemade ovens and fires - showered with solar showers - and the only luxury we had (which trust me - it wasnt worth it) was a severely over used porta potty. I learned how to survive w/o power, but I hope I never have to!

...showered with solar showers...

You were actually provided with a shower on a youth camp? The one time I got to go, we spent three days in a field full of cow excrement (which I found out the hard way while assembling our tent) and the only thing remotely like a shower was a hose pipe 300 metres down the field. The young women have it so easy :P

A lot of people do it, right here in this country, does it make things harder? yes, takes a bit of planning, an ice house or spring house instead of a fridge, canning instead of freezing, Cooking with gas or even a wood stove. heating with wood. Manual pump for water or artisean well or cistern or gravity feed -- theres lots of ways of doing things without electricity, electricity is a very recent development, heck most of America didn't have it until the 1930's and 40's and some areas in the 60's and 70's.

My grandparents house didn't have electricity or indoor plumbing til the mid 60's and yes they did live in the middle of nowhere, but it was a way of life.

A lot more time available for friends and family

You don't really have to restrict yourself to biblical times, to study populations without power. Electricity wasn't even a big hit in America until the early-mid 20th century. There are plenty of people in third-world countries (and plenty of places in China, for that matter) where you can't find a light switch or an air conditioning unit for 300 miles in any direction.

It's a common discussion topic amongst the preparadness-minded - what would happen if [insert your own favorite disaster scenario here] knocked out power for [insert your favorite timeframe here]. Apart from camping, I personally have gone maybe 3 days without power at home, in the middle of winter blizards, and we did ok, because we were prepared. Not sure how we'd do for a month, or a year.

LM

Thanks every one!

This leads me on to say the technology we learn to develop on this earth, I wonder if it will it be taken with us in the renewed world?

I am an IT guy and all that I've learnt may not have relevance in the next life? In D&C 130: 18-19, if one develops more intelligence that the other... Can one develop the wrong intelligence?

I have the flu today so if that totally didn't make sense then that's why :D

I actually went without power a couple of days ago because the electric company was doing some repairs, but they gave advanced notice so I was able to shut down my computer before going to bed the night before the outage. The power came back on just as it was starting to get dark, but I had some battery powered lanterns and flashlights ready in case. In fact, I keep a flashlight on my nightstand all the time in case there's an outage caused by a storm or earthquake in the middle of the night.