Oklahoma versus BYU

Moksha

Here is an excellent article:

Debunking the mystery of BYU: School isn't weird or cultish, just into clean living

Next weekend, fans of Oklahoma and Brigham Young will congregate outside Cowboys Stadium for tailgate parties, with one discernible difference.

One side will be imbibing beer by the gallons; the other, sipping orange juice.

Sooner and Cougar fans both share a fervor for their historically successful football teams. But BYU and its football program are worlds apart from any other.

"I hear it all the time, that if you go there, you must be weird, must be part of a cult,” Brule said. "When I tell people I went to BYU, they ask me if I have three wives. That’s been gone for years. It’s a misconception of BYU and the Mormon culture.”

Ken Hunt, chair of the BYU alumni chapter in Tulsa, said his Oklahoma friends are always surprised when he first takes them to visit Provo.

"They go there expecting to see a very small university with students dressed bizarrely, because they think of BYU being ultra-conservative in a Mennonite way,” Hunt said. "It’s a dated concept. The students look similar to ones you’d seen in Norman or Stillwater. It’s not what they expected.”

Like the school, BYU’s football program is also unique. Friday night before the game, while OU’s players eat together and go back to relax at the hotel, BYU’s players will be holding a spiritual fireside chat with members of a local LDS congregation.

NewsOK

Guest Godless

I wasn't the least bit surprised when I found out that the game was going to be played at Cowboy's Stadium. That place is NICE!!!! I'm surprised the Red River matchup isn't going to be played there.

I have a lot of respect for the BYU team. In a sport that often highlights the ruffians and troublemakers, it's nice to see players who have solid values. I hope they can beat OU, but I won't be holding my breath.

Game was great. A fan in the crowd has a sign of BYU Who? I guess he knows who BYU is. I actually think the dumb part of the game was letting OU score at the end of the half. There Defense kind of went into some prevent. (on some plays). Over lucky for both teams! Turnovers, penalties injures happen to both teams, so I guess God does love all.

Exercise on P-day? Riding bikes up and down hills for 2 years? Walking for miles all day long for 2 years? Missionaries get fat from overeating more than under-exercising, they lose some aggressiveness probably from preaching the gospel constantly.

Edited by john doe
corrected grammar