LDS but no testimony of Joseph

There have been some varied thoughts on this, but in light of prophets and modern revelation, and even more the fact that Joseph Smith is not just A prophet but the FOUNDING prophet of the LDS church, it seems that it would be almost impossible to say that you have a testimony of the Church but no testimony of Joseph Smith. He founded the church. To have trouble with him as a prophet of the Church would seem to cast some doubts on much of what the church was founded on.

for some silly reason I thought Christ was the core of our belief? Perhaps I'm mistaken.

You are absolutely correct lost in that thought. But I also understand where Joker is coming from. My personal thought is...Joseph Smith restored the true Church back on the earth. He translated the Book of Mormon. He is a huge part of the restored Church on the earth today. Therefore...a core belief of our religion today is having a testimony that he was in fact a Prophet. That he did in fact receive a vision. That he did in fact translate the Book of Mormon.

Again I will state (my opinion of course), without having a testimony of Joseph Smith I don't see how a belief in all else is possible. We have the Book of Mormon as canonized scripture. That is also a huge part in our religion. If you don't have a testimony of Joseph Smith how do you have a testimony of the Book of Mormon?

JMHO

• 2 weeks later...

As I was doing some research for my website..I ran across this quote from President Hinckley:

"An acquaintance said to me one day: 'I admire your church very much. I think I could accept everything about it—except Joseph Smith.' To which I responded: 'That statement is a contradiction. If you accept the revelation, you must accept the revelator.'

"It is a constantly recurring mystery to me how some people speak with admiration for the Church and its work while at the same time disdaining him through whom, as a servant of the Lord, came the framework of all that the Church is, of all that it teaches, and of all that it stands for. They would pluck the fruit from the tree while cutting off the root from which it grows."

Pam and Lattelady hit the nail right on the head! I can't see how it's possible to not have much of a testimony of Joseph Smith yet still be considered a strong Mormon! Joseph Smith and the LDS church are absolutely, completely 100% inseparably linked. I don't care how you slice it or dice it, it is a fact! Think about it. A lot of the church's teachings come directly from Joseph Smith such as temples/temple ordinances, baptism for the dead, eternal families/marriages, three degrees of glory with hell barely in the picture, our current latter day prophets and apostles who would not be authentic if Joseph didn't recieve the direct laying on of hands for the priesthood to be restored, eternal progression, Book of Mormon, D&C and all of it's (Joseph Smith) revelations, Pearl of Great Price, Word of Wisdom and on and on and on I could go. An example of this would be like saying that a cop pulls me over for speeding, he gives me a ticket, I agree to go and pay the ticket, yet I'm not sure if the guy who pulled me over really was a cop!? Why would I then be so willing to pay a ticket if I'm not sure that the cop is authentic? Would I then just pay the ticket because I feel it's something I should simply do regardless even though I've got doubts about the cop and his authenticity? That's idiotic! I don't see how Joseph Smith can be taken so lightly when it could be argued that Joseph Smith just possibly may have as many, if not even more, teachings and doctrines invoked into this church than Jesus Christ himself! While Jesus Christ is undeniably the head of this church, a TBM can not possibly deny that Joseph Smith plays a humongous role in the rest of it, including the revelations on how to ultimately obtain salvation into God's highest kingdom.

Edited by Carl62

You simple can...but it will eventually come when you least expect it. But let me add something here to be clear, what I mean of a testimony for me, is a personal one, and not acting on child like faith to be considered a testimony.

In the beginning, we have this faith on a person, a topic, or perhaps the gospel itself. Over the years in progressing in mortality and the gospel, we grow here a little, there a little until the perfect day. In this case, Joseph Smith happens to be one of them

Looks like some need to pull out their Preach My Gospel manuals. Missionaries don't baptize people if they don't have a testimony of the restoration of the gospel through Joseph Smith. It's one of the baptism interview questions.

I think its important to have a testimony or confirmation that God called and used Joseph. It's ok to have concerns about Joseph as a man. Joseph himself warned people not to expect him to be more than a man. He constantly pointed people back to Christ.

I was just reading in the BofM and came across this scripture that might fit here. These are the words of King Benjamin the prophet to his people.

Mosiah 2:10 - 11

"I have not commanded you to come up hither that you should fear me, or that ye should think that I of myself am more than a mortal man.

But I am like as yourselves, subject to alll manner of infirmities in body and mind; yet I have been chosen by this people and consecrated by my father and was suffered by the hand of the Lord that I should be a ruler and king over this people and have been kept and preserved by his matchless power, to serve you with all the might mind and strength which the Lord hath granted unto me."