Beer Good. Meat Bad. But we do the opposite.

Cydonia

Later prophets have said varying things about meat and beer, but none of presented those statements as revelations.

You are falling for one of the classic blunders! Failing to stay current on the latest of revelations and choosing to follow a dead prophet over a living one. In this case it seems you are struggling to understand what modern revelation is.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cydonia,

It is obvious you just want to argue. It is also obvious that you are somewhat self righteous because you are a veggie. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO EAT MEAT AT A WARD FUNCTION, THEN DON'T!

Does the bishop hold a knife to your throat, or put a tube down it, and force you to eat meat? I'd wager not.

And why this obsession with the WoW and meat? Since when are ANY of us perfect? As I said previously, there are few that keep the WoW perfectly. Just as few of us are perfectly honest, perfectly chaste (lustful thoughts do enter our minds), perfectly doing all we should do. That is why there is repentance.

So, instead of asking like a 2 year old 'why, why why?' when you've been given answers, grow up and do as you will. Go eat some cabbage, or an apple, or maybe some tofurkey. Have a ball!

Just quit acting like you're somehow better than the rest of us that love a good steak, chicken, ostrich, whale, whatever....

Just quit acting like you're somehow better than the rest of us that love a good steak, chicken, ostrich, whale, whatever....

So you choose not to follow the Word of Wisdom because you love those things of this world and following the word of wisdom "perfectly" is not a priority?

I fear that could be a common answer.

PS. We don't believe in hell.

Thank you. I didn't know that, having lived my entire life in the LDS Church. It was an expression.

D&C 89 says it's not a commandment. The church does not say it is a commandment. They only make it a requirement to be baptized, hold a leadership position, enter the temple, etc. When did the church say it was a commandment?

I'm pretty sure that its being a requirement for baptism is what makes it a commandment.

My "spiting hairs" remark...

Whenever I get hairs in my mouth, I spit them out, too. :D

Excellent. You're both ahead of the curve.

And I'm sure they're glad to have your approval.

Why would I need to have this discussion during a temple recommend interview?

I don't drink beer.

Then why do you care? What's the point of this whole argument if you're not trying to reconcile any of your own behavior?

So you choose not to follow the Word of Wisdom because you love those things of this world and following the word of wisdom "perfectly" is not a priority?

I fear that could be a common answer.

I'm pretty sure he was being facetious.

Then why do you care? What's the point of this whole argument if you're not trying to reconcile any of your own behavior?

Why is there an argument? Why is so much of this thread being held in the spirit of contention?

Why did D&C 89's statement to eat meat sparingly get ignored when other statements were magnified to cover what they originally didn't?

You mean, Never get involved in a land war in Asia? Or, Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line?

Oh my, where is the laugh button? I've been laughing out loud for about two minutes straight, between this and the post immediately following it.

Another thing to think about with "meat" is its definition. There are vegetarians out there who still eat chicken and seafood, but not pork or beef. So does "meat" just mean read meat? Or does it mean any meat? I've recently cut red meat out of my family's diet almost entirely. I discovered that ground turkey is much less expensive than ground beef, and when mixed in with lots of other stuff, doesn't taste that much different, and it's healthier for you. We eat turkey and chicken, and two or three nights a week I prepare non-meat based meals, using beans as a protein base.

Oh my, where is the laugh button? I've been laughing out loud for about two minutes straight, between this and the post immediately following it.

Another thing to think about with "meat" is its definition. There are vegetarians out there who still eat chicken and seafood, but not pork or beef. So does "meat" just mean read meat? Or does it mean any meat? I've recently cut red meat out of my family's diet almost entirely. I discovered that ground turkey is much less expensive than ground beef, and when mixed in with lots of other stuff, doesn't taste that much different, and it's healthier for you. We eat turkey and chicken, and two or three nights a week I prepare non-meat based meals, using beans as a protein base.

WN,

You're about to get an 'attaboy' or 'attagirl' (which ever fits) for being a better Mormon than the rest of us cretins, so be careful (or proud. I'm sure it is meant as a compliment).

It says flesh of beasts, not meat. That doesn't require a definition.

You haven't even re-read the Word of Wisdom, or this thread (since we already discussed that). And yet you're commenting with a spirit of contention and making up arguments.

Why?

You haven't even re-read the Word of Wisdom, or this thread (since we already discussed that). And yet you're commenting with a spirit of contention and making up arguments.

Why?

Spirit of contention?

Wingnut?

Our confusion and questions are answered! Cydonia is clearly a crossover from a parallel universe, where beer is accepted as part of the word of wisdom and Wingnut is a troublemaker.

It says flesh of beasts, not meat. That doesn't require a definition.

Why?

As a matter of fact, I read the entire section earlier today and I have read (at least once) every single post in this thread. If I sound contentious, it is only because I am defending myself and my fellow (apparant) sinners in our meat-eating-and-non-beer-drinking habits. YOU came here and accused us of not following the Word of Wisdom. YOU came in on the offensive. Now YOU want to know why we are defensive and there is a spirit of contention here. Maybe YOU are the only one who can't see it.

I haven't read all the posts but seems like I'm with Cydonia on this one. I feel for you, bro.

But, the way I see it, if you can't get a temple recommend with 2 beers a year, then I'll go ahead and quit the beer even if I personally don't find a problem with it. I see it as a test of obedience more than anything. As far as the sparingly among all other things go, I believe it should be sparingly to maintain good health and vigor even if the bishop doesn't mention it on an interview. Who cares what everyone else does. They can eat 100 pizza slices a day until they die of a heart attack - it is between them and God. But my house will eat from a balanced diet and follow holistic principles until they decide to move out.

I suppose we can do this one now to. From the Church Handbook of Instruction discussing standards of personal worthiness,

Obey the Word of Wisdom, including not using coffee, tea, tobacco, alcoholic drinks, or other

harmful drugs.

I'm not sure what you get that's more definitive than that.

Cydona has apparently been to one of my family BBQs where I'll sit down and have a full rack of beef ribs at one sitting.

This isn't "sparingly"... but they're spare ribs!

This thread isn't about the Word of Wisdom.

This is about how we follow the Prophet. It is also about personal revelation. You believe that you were told that "beer is good". Well, you don't receive revelation on behalf of the Church. Only Thomas S. Monson has that burden and responsibility and right.

After all this reading... I need a drink! :)