Relentless

You mean there's another kind?

Yep. RealD - The Global Leader in 3D

They aren't designer, but they are like cheap plastic sunglasses, they wear a lot more comfortably (when I said crappy I was thinking the cardboard ones). And no, it doesn't use the filter blue for one eye and filter red for the other, so you don't get some of the color funkiness. Don't know exactly how the technology works but it is quite the improvement.

Edited by Dravin

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a James Cameron film. He doesn't make great advances in technology without a good story to sell it. e.g. Titanic, Abyss...

Then perhaps they should promote the story, cause I ain't seeing any movie just for special effects. and frankly what's been said about the story on this thread isn't motivating me either.

I saw it last night. Dravin is right, it's basically an updated Ferngully or Once Upon a Forest. It was a little long, my 13 year old son started getting bored about 2/3 of the way through until the big fight scene at the end. I have to admit I laughed near the end because the actions of the main bad guy was a little over the top when he killed a CGI animal. Afterward, my son gave it 3 stars, mainly for the visuals and action.

I have to say I was very disappointed in the theater we saw it in. We had never been to that one before. I don't know if it was because it was Christmas day or or if American Fork moviegoers are just pigs, but they did not bother to clean the theater between shows. There was popcorn and old drinks scattered all over the theater floors.

Saw it yesterday. Greatest. Movie. Of. The. Year. Hands down. Gotta see it in 3D. It's worth the extra money. My 6 and 8 year olds loved it. My husband loved it. I cried. And I'm not the emotional type. The leading lady (no, not Sigourney Weaver, the Na'vi princess) is the same actress that played Uhura in the latest Star Trek movie and she was really awesome in this movie even if all you see is her blue CGI self. She's my favorite character.

Saw it today with my wife.

Good story

Good acting

Great technical achievement

Beautiful look

Very, very entertaining... recommended.

Saw it yesterday. Greatest. Movie. Of. The. Year. Hands down. Gotta see it in 3D. It's worth the extra money. My 6 and 8 year olds loved it. My husband loved it. I cried. And I'm not the emotional type. The leading lady (no, not Sigourney Weaver, the Na'vi princess) is the same actress that played Uhura in the latest Star Trek movie and she was really awesome in this movie even if all you see is her blue CGI self. She's my favorite character.

So it wasn't garbage? Interesting...

I heard this is a notable remake of Fern Gully. At least by concept and certain scenes.

Personally I haven't been too compelled to watch it but hubby has heard raving reviews and is now on the bandwagon to see it in 3D. So more than likely, I'll probably be seeing it very soon.

The leading lady (no, not Sigourney Weaver, the Na'vi princess) is the same actress that played Uhura in the latest Star Trek movie and she was really awesome in this movie even if all you see is her blue CGI self. She's my favorite character.

Is that Zoe Saldana? She had a minor role in Pirates of the Caribbean, and that's what makes her most familiar to me.

I loved the movie, I came out of the movie feeling like I had just woken up from a dream I really didn't want to end. I liked the movie mostly for the beautiful world they have created, and the way the characters worked together. The movie could easily be said to be an excellent recreation of Fern Gully, as it does push the message of not ruining the forest, and not destroying native peoples. However even though I also don't like it when my movies preach to me I think in this movie it works.

I would love to go see this movie again, I almost did but the people I was with opted to watch Sherlock Holmes instead. Compared to the option of watching Avatar, Sherlock Holmes fell flat.

I am not going to try to talk anyone into watching this movie, if gorgeous scenery, interesting characters and a good storyline set in a sci-fi environment are not for you then don't watch it. However, if you have been considering watching this movie and haven't decided yet whether or not you should go, I would say go watch it, you will most certainly enjoy it.

I am not going to try to talk anyone into watching this movie, if gorgeous scenery, interesting characters and a good storyline set in a sci-fi environment are not for you then don't watch it. However, if you have been considering watching this movie and haven't decided yet whether or not you should go, I would say go watch it, you will most certainly enjoy it.

Gorgeous scenery -- interested

Interesting characters -- interested

Good storyline -- interested

Sci-fi environment -- automatic turnoff for me

It's been many years since I saw Fern Gully, and while I think I only ever watched it once, I don't remember enjoying it. I think I thought it was a bad storyline.

Gorgeous scenery -- interested

Interesting characters -- interested

Good storyline -- interested

Sci-fi environment -- automatic turnoff for me

It's been many years since I saw Fern Gully, and while I think I only ever watched it once, I don't remember enjoying it. I think I thought it was a bad storyline.

Why is it an automatic turnoff? And seeing the natives with bows and arrows fight the private military that has guns and power armor, really cool.

I saw it this week. I enjoyed it. Of course the effects were good--they were done by Weta! (that's the company that did LOTR).

I thought it was a little too anti-military, too tree hugger for me. But overall I enjoyed it and would recommend it to others.

I did like that whole uploading to the animals/environment thing with the Navi people. I think it would be cool to connect like that with animals.

And I heard this is the first of a trilogy. It was obvious to me that a sequel was planned by the ending.

That just made my year! I was hoping that the story would continue, I look forward to seeing where they are going to take it.

It's probably the guy in me, and it is rooting for the bad guy but... I for one would love to see some nuking from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. :D

Just wanted to pop in again. Like I said, we've decided to go see Avatar but tonight's showings are packed full, so we may not see it until next week. But I got a question for you savvy movie-goers. Despite the hype for IMAX 3D, I was reading a blog about how IMAX 3D is older technology and is not quite as good as an experience from Real3D (newer technology) and Dolby Digital 3D (newest technology). Do any of you have a preference between the three? I just thought all 3D experiences were the same, except that, IMAX is on the wide screen.

I saw it with my 15 year old son, we both really liked it, the 3D was really impressive without being too in your face. The story line reminded me of Dances with Wolves (soldier infiltrates the enemy to find their weaknesses, etc., etc.,)

The overt political and environmental messages didn't bother me, it's not like it's the first time a movie has had a message, I can look past that stuff and just enjoy it for what it is, an entertaining story that may (or may not) provoke you to think. Kind of like Wall-e, a lot of people got bent out of shape over that one.