Contention

OneEternalSonata

I've read through some threads that share a common theme of contention. I don't want to get on my soapbox here, or come across all high and mighty and holier than thou, so I hope everyone will take that to heart. I realize that I'm not without my own faults and shortcomings, too. :) I personally believe that statements are easily misunderstood here on the internet, as written words alone often imperfectly convey true intent and meaning. I see the need within myself to ponder on my own responses and reactions to statements made, and I find that asking clarifying questions is helpful. However, there are certain instances where these questions are asked by some in a snide manner which invokes defensive responses from those who receive such questions. It is my fervent wish to become more Christlike in my communication with others, seeking understanding and promoting an atmosphere where the Spirit readily dwells. Creating a space where love pervades and defensiveness withers away into oblivion. Is this a high standard? Yes. Is it a journey and process that will take time and patience both with myself and others? Yes, absolutely. So, I invite anyone who feels as I do to strive toward this goal with me. My heartfelt love goes out to each and every member here, may we speak in peace and let enmity cease, in the name of Jesus Christ, the Prince of Peace, Amen.

Edited by OneEternalSonata
Re-wording language which cast the majority of threads contentious when in reality it is a small number. Sorry for that inaccuracy.

I have a different opinion Sonata. I don't feel there are too many threads that are contentious at all. Of course, there are many that are a debate between two or more opposing ideas. But, I don't find these contentious but merely disagreement. Take Justice versus Snow threads, for instance. I don't see them as contentious at all. I just see them as 2 very different personalities clashing. I think both Justice and Snow will agree that they don't take it personally. I learn a lot from both of them, actually.

But then, it could be that I am always looking at things in a positive manner.

Disagreeing is fine. But at least be tactful. You don't need to get nasty and bully your way around the forum.

You know, I really wanted to respond in a joking bullying manner. But I've probably gotten as much play out of being deliberately contrary as I'm gonna get in this thread.

Guest mormonmusic

I've found this board to be largely respectful, and if people write back saying they've been misunderstood, and clarify what they meant, people are usually willing to say "OK, I know what you mean now". This wasn't true on other forums I've been active with. It was almost as if people were acting with a desire to one-up other people, rather than understand each other. I don't see this "oneuppance mentality" here, which is to the forum's credit.

I don't see a "oneuppance mentality" either, MM. I see people with opinions who have a good place to share them. One thing I love about this board is it shows that Saints can have a multitude of political leanings, yet we can come together and share the Gospel as one :D

I hope everyone understands that I don't feel the majority of the board is "out for blood" or contentious "to the core" or any such thing. :) Using the words "a lot" and "theme of contention" gave my first post an unintentional melodrama and overplayed the severity, thus I edited my opening post. Indeed this board is to be commended. I do, however, hold true to the rest of my post. [/end of way too wordy ramble]

Guest mormonmusic

A gentleman once said "you should always be a bit nicer than you think you should be". Given the tendency for the written word to seem harsher than the spoken word, I think a good maxim for online blogging and forum discussion is "you should always be a LOT nicer than you think you should be" so people don't interpret what you say wrongly. I try to abide by that. The number of times I write something, and then soften it upon reviewing is A LOT!

Ah, you got me there, LM! =D However, the scriptures also teach that certain contention is of the devil, the Book of Mormon especially. 3 Nephi 11:29, Mosiah 18:21

I believe the scripture you quoted, LM, asks us to earnestly contend. In other words, to diligently assert truth in kindness. Whereas, the contention in the scriptures I quoted can be defined as angrily arguing to the point of wresting. D&C 10:63

What are your thoughts, LM?

I like it when posts have a bit of an edge to them. Keeps me awake. More power to Vort and Snow for making that happen. They do a great job. I am really enjoying OmahaMormon as of late. Wish we had more Honorentheos, he is one smart cookie. Of course, I like all the sweet ones here as well (and you know who you are).