Today's Music

Guest Ari 2

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zutty Chick;

I some times think as parents we go over bored a little, worring to much about kids music, I have come to find with my 2 oldest kids that they know what they believe and the message of some of the songs don't even faze them, Alot of times we as parents ...if we have raised our kids right , should have more faith in them,

I know as a teenager my parents let me listen to what i wanted and it didn't change me, And as a teenager i could never understand what the big deal was, But my parents trusted me and raised me well,

When Kids don't have this at home they find other ways to compensate, and they start finding what they think is family, love and a way out, and start to take some music groups to seriuosely, They become such big followers it's like a church to them, unfortionalty most of this is Not good, Taking what ..say marilyn mansion says in his music as gospel is a very scary thing, or Songs about killing your self...killing cops ETC.

B>>>>F<<<<D>>>>F<<L

Personally, I'm teaching my kids the value of a smokin' guitar solo. They listen to my CDs of Dokken, the Scorpions, Def Leppard, Twisted Sister, Alter Bridge, etc... and some other good stuff. I do keep them out of the music with profanity or negative messages. B)

Myself, I like Disturbed, Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold as much as the softer stuff, and have no problems distinguishing music from life.

Originally posted by Outshined@Nov 15 2005, 11:00 AM

Personally, I'm teaching my kids the value of a smokin' guitar solo. They listen to my CDs of Dokken, the Scorpions, Def Leppard, Twisted Sister, Alter Bridge, etc... and some other good stuff. I do keep them out of the music with profanity or negative messages. B)

Myself, I like Disturbed, Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold as much as the softer stuff, and have no problems distinguishing music from life.

Scorpions, defleppard, WOW we must be related, :sparklygrin:

Originally posted by lisajo@Nov 15 2005, 11:43 AM

That was just plain low, :angry2:

Does it make everyone that says mean things feel good?

you can make your point with out insults, it's not hard ya know

(Ari. I guess thats a new one for your blog list, ;)  Ignorant hick LOL)

Taking notes as we speak. ;)

Originally posted by Jason+Nov 15 2005, 11:54 AM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Ari@Nov 15 2005, 12:31 PM

Your all seeing eye is clouding your vision.

Since you're so fond of quotes, I thought you might like this one:

"A witty saying proves nothing." -Voltaire

That one got to ya, huh. :P

Originally posted by Ari+Nov 15 2005, 11:31 AM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Jason@Nov 15 2005, 11:21 AM

Did you ever see the movie Footloose?  You kind of remind me of that for some strange reason...

Your all seeing eye is clouding your vision.

:idea: The introduction of the movie Footloose was likely an accidental move...but a helpful one. A thoughtful viewing of that production will show: A. That the parents and religious leaders were not narrow-minded and uncompromising. They cared about the children and were trying to do right by them. B. The children who wanted to dance were able to think through and justify there requests. They used a Bible quote to show that dance could be celebration. It could be joy. The result was that the dance took place, and parents and children learned to respect each other all the more.

What a far cry from much secular music and dance today! I'll not condemn all genres, or even any one genre in particular. However, the music that plays in my house will be lovely, good and noble, not degenerate. Call me a :ph34r: if you want, but as for me and my house, our music will serve the Lord.

Originally posted by prisonchaplain@Nov 15 2005, 02:31 PM

What a far cry from much secular music and dance today!  I'll not condemn all genres, or even any one genre in particular.  However, the music that plays in my house will be lovely, good and noble, not degenerate. Call me a  :ph34r: if you want, but as for me and my house, our music will serve the Lord.

Amen, prisonchaplain!

Rammstein also sings about violence, esp. school violence. The kids who committed the Columbine murders admitted to being "inspired" by some of these groups, and their victims were Christian students.

Uh, correct me if I am wrong but isn't it true that the vast majority of kids who have been involved in school shootings are victims of bullying? If you want to stop such acts of violence you need to have school administrators who are willing to go as far as caning the bullies -- not do stupid things like blaming trenchcoats or a German techno-metal band.

By the way, the new Rammstein CD is out -- a friend of mine said it's pretty good, anyone here hear it yet enough to comment on it?

I was actually thinking of getting it (my 2nd. oldest is always borrowing my other 3 Rammstein CDs and I guess I'd have to load it on my Mp3 I use for running pretty fast).

I highly recommend this video, "They Sold Their Souls For Rock & Roll". You will see for yourself, what the killers of Columbine have to say in their own words about the music which "inspired" them to commit the murders of Christian students. You will hear for yourself, what Rammstein, Ozzy Osborn, and Marilyn Manson are singing in the lyrics of the songs which the young ppl describe as "good music, with a good beat".

---------------------------

Ad:

We know what some of you are already thinking. "Selling their souls? Come ON now." But this gripping documentary shows some of rock and roll's most celebrated artists - including Lennon, Morrison and Jagger - speaking about their ties to the occult, IN THEIR OWN WORDS. The content of this 4-hour series, chronicling the modern music industry's ties to the occult over the past 75 years, has made it one of our most widely requested programs. Written in part (and narrated) by pastor, researcher, and former hard rock musician Joe Shimmel, it is an alarming spiritual awakening for ANYONE who wants to know how violence, sexual immorality and blasphemy have been able to completely infiltrate the powerful, billion-dollar music business... AND the hearts and minds of those who listen to it!

Order this video, narrated by Grant Goodeve (Eight Is Enough) from:

www.CrossTV.com

1 (877) CrossTV

Originally posted by Ari@Nov 16 2005, 10:33 PM

I highly recommend this video, "They Sold Their Souls For Rock & Roll".  You will see for yourself, what the killers of Columbine have to say in their own words about the music which "inspired" them to commit the murders of Christian students.  You will hear for yourself, what Rammstein, Ozzy Osborn, and Marilyn Manson are singing in the lyrics of the songs which the young ppl describe as "good music, with a good beat". 

---------------------------

Ad:

We know what some of you are already thinking. "Selling their souls? Come ON now." But this gripping documentary shows some of rock and roll's most celebrated artists - including Lennon, Morrison and Jagger - speaking about their ties to the occult, IN THEIR OWN WORDS. The content of this 4-hour series, chronicling the modern music industry's ties to the occult over the past 75 years, has made it one of our most widely requested programs. Written in part (and narrated) by pastor, researcher, and former hard rock musician Joe Shimmel, it is an alarming spiritual awakening for ANYONE who wants to know how violence, sexual immorality and blasphemy have been able to completely infiltrate the powerful, billion-dollar music business... AND the hearts and minds of those who listen to it!

Order this video, narrated by Grant Goodeve (Eight Is Enough) from:

www.CrossTV.com

1 (877) CrossTV

When you find a direct, scientific correlation between music and the "devil," you let me know.

:rolleyes:

Two of my sons have complained about church dances. My sons would rather listen to groups like Metallica than general pop songs of today -- problem is, the people who generally put on the dances think that any group that is heavy metal should not be featured (no matter what the song). So even though Metallica has some excellent slow dance music (i.e. Unforgiven 1 and 2) the people in charge of the music would rather play some pop gal singing about having sex with one guy on Monday, then another on Tuesday, etc. because it has a more appropriate beat. Puleeeeeeeze! A great deal of country music deals with getting drunk or cheating on your wife/husband but that doesn't mean we condemn the entire genre of music as "Satanic".

I say look at the lyrics, not the beat. If a person is more comfortable with the easy listening station then that's fine, but if you like alternative, techno or metal then as long as the lyrics are clean then that's fine too.

Killers of Columbine.....influenced by Rammstein.....ok I happen to like some of their songs....does that mean I should go out and do something hideous because I may be "influenced" by the group? I love country music....did that mean I should have cheated on my husband? Because I might have been "influenced" by country music?

People are going to do things and then use "things" as a scapegoat as long as they can get away with it. It's always easier to blame something or someone else for our own mistakes.

What about people who do horrid things because "GOD" told them too? Are we really going to blame God for the influence? I really HOPE not.

(I'm not talking about Nephi killing Laban either)...

Gee look at all the things I missed out on doing in my life because I was

"influenced" by music.......shucky darn........ :hmmm::wow:

Guest LDSister

Since, I viewed the video (more than once, btw), I heard the facts straight from the horse's mouth. That's what I base my opinions on. Kids are impressionable... they listen to this rap crap repeatedly. It has been proven (and I have heard some of it) that there are subliminal messages in some music..."evil" lyrics can be heard by playing the music backwards. The killers of Columbine took what they heard literally, as they explained in their own words on the video...and then acted...by targeting and killing Christian students. One song which is played frequently in the other network is, "When Bullet Hits Bone"...I don't think we can afford, as parents, to discount what this music refers to, even in song title. Remember the song by Rammstein, "Satan"? Would I, as a Christian, listen to a song empowering Satan? I think not! I prefer to listen to Carman. :)

plays «» «» Satan, Bite The Dust! - Carman [Heart Of A Champion] [3m:56] «» «»

WoooooHooooo! Now that's what I call good music!!!

Guest LDSister

Originally posted by Outshined@Nov 17 2005, 08:24 AM

I think everyone should just listen to the music they like without trying to paint music they don't like as "evil".

This attitude of "listen to what I consider good music or you're supporting the devil" is just silly.

I guess what we don't know won't hurt us. :P

Guest LDSister

Originally posted by Outshined@Nov 17 2005, 11:04 AM

Those who seek evil in all things are sure to find it.

Those who keep their head buried in the sand will remain in the dark.

Guest LDSister

Originally posted by Soulsearcher@Nov 17 2005, 11:15 AM

While i do think sources of media such as music, movies and video games can contribute to young people loosing touch with reality to a certain degree, i think we are missing the real problem.  the people these young people need to be there for them and inspire them aren't doing their jobs nearly well enough.  Parents and teachers seem to be a lot more apathetic today.

Now if i remember the original poll asked if parents would allow their children listen to certains types of music.  I personally think that is the wrong question.  The right question is" As a parent are you willing to sit down and calmly rationally discuss with your children their interests and what draws them to these things, at the same time offering positive feedback to help direct your child in a more positive direction without alienating or forcing them to comply?"

The playground killers have popped up in this thread more than once, and i think anyone that doesn't hold those more directly involved as responsible is missing the bigger picture.  It wasn't the music that hurt those kids and filled them with rage.  It wasn't the music that made them feel abandoned and feeling like they had no other choice.  Between the parents and schools the ball is being dropped over and over again and when stuff happens they need a target cause the are not willing to take the blame.

Is there music i don't think young people should listen to?  Yes.  Are they going to listen to it if i forbid it?  There's a good chance.  Can i sit down and explain my problems with the songs and have them evaluate each song one by one as we find a difference of opinion and make them feel like they matter?  well i do it most every day and while they stumble every now and then, at least they feel like they matter and are willing to keep trying.

I heartily agree with much of what you said. Except for one thing...in this video that I have recommended to ppl, there was one devoted Christian family who lost their daughter to satanism. They got her back, thankfully. But many families who lose their kids to cults, for example, go thru alot of hard work and tears to get their kids back. So, prevention is the key...providing you have a willing participant. Reflected in this forum, you can see much opposition from ppl who are unwilling to listen to the truth. How can we be influential with our children, if they reject what we are teaching them? And how can we be of influence, if we reject the truth? Sometimes it just takes alot of prayer and patience, waiting for our kids to grow up and smarten up...you know, like we did lol.

Originally posted by Soulsearcher@Nov 17 2005, 10:44 AM

My problem is did they honestly do that much work before hand?  i agree prevention is important, but it's the right ype of prevention. THe youths have to feel as if they are part of the  plan not just the end result or you have already lost them.

Very good point soul....I have to agree with that!!!!!!!!!