Going In For A Bishop Interview Today

Melissa569

I have an appointment for a bishop interview today, at 7pm. He said he just wants to catch up on where I am spiritually and gospel wise, and maybe gather a few more details on what my life is like right now, my history, etc. I was told that its casual dress, so that puts me at ease, a little bit.

Just a little nervous about what all will be discussed, and what he might say about how far behind I am in scripture study, lol (VERY far behind).

But I'll come back later and comment update on how it went. :)

Ok, got back from the interview about an hour ago.

Wow, he really dug deep, lol. But I guess that's his job. I didn't really mind either, because he's the kind of easy-going person that you can say pretty much anything to.

Ok, so the first thing he had me do was say a prayer out loud, that the spirit be with us, and we find solutions to all the problems I am facing. Then he had me describe in great detail all the reasons I came back to church: Marriage problems, lack of direction in life, unemployment, no job because of severe back pain-- but no college degrees or office training, depression, crisis of faith, you name it! lol. He asked for details on all that too. Wrote down highlights of everything I said.

Then he said something that relaly cheered me up-- "You shouldn't be depressed about not having college degrees or office training, I know a lot of people, even some that work for me, who've never been to college, or even gotten a certificate. Who told you that you absolutely HAD to have training and degrees?"

I said, "I just assumed that, because people woudl tell me to look on monster jobs, and other such sites for job listings, and all the office jobs said they required such-and-such years of expereince, or such-and-such training..."

He said, "Well, a lot of employers list that, but still, you shoudl go ahead and apply anyway. Sometimes after an interview, they decide they like you as a person, and your ambition, and they think you are worth it. But in the mean time, I would suggest studying powerpoint, excell, etc. Most office jobs do use that a lot."

Then he gave me a website "openoffice.org" where you can download programs that are pretty much exactly like the microsoft programs. But they are free. And there are tutorials ont he website for using them.

After that, he told me abotu all the things one has to do in order to make themselves whole and a full active memebr of the church (pray every day, attend church activities, read the scriptures, tithe, etc.). He also gave me the church's version of the King James Bible, and a 3-in-one book with the book of mormon, doctrine and covenants, and pearl of great price. He said to go ahead and start on those, and study the computer programs, and he wants to see me again within the next 2 weeks. He also mentioned the church's employment program, and said he wanted to contact someone abotu that for me.

And I didn't have to pay for my cab ride home, because he got one of the sisters to drive me home. She and I made friends too, she's kind of a lonely stay-at-home mom, and asked if I could take her cell phone number so we could go out and do something sometime, or mybe we could go to the gym together. She was really nice.

Looks like if I just follow his suggestions and meet back with him again, my life might finally start looking up :)

Edited by Melissa569

Who told you that you absolutely HAD to have training and degrees?"

I said, "I just assumed that, because people woudl tell me to look on monster jobs, and other such sites for job listings, and all the office jobs said they required such-and-such years of expereince, or such-and-such training..."

I can certainly see where you're coming from here: My stepdaughter is in a similar position right now, having left school before taking her A-levels (exams you take at 18 here in the UK) and trying to get a job.

However, I agree that studying Open Office is an excellent step - something to put on your CV that will help you to get the interviews. Also, how about doing volunteer work for charitable organisations? Although you wouldn't get paid for it (obviously!) you would build up your profile of experience, and enable you to get references from the people you worked for.

I wish you the very best. Please let us know how you get on :)