Priesthood Holders, will you answer this?

I would like to know what a "release blessing" is. I have a vague idea..

I received word that an elderly lady I cared for passed away recently. But while on her deathbed, her family arranged that she have a release blessing, performed by LDS members. I get the sense that this sort of blessing, as it's called, "releases" someone into the next life peacefully by the Lord's will. Am I correct? I also wonder, why isn't this a common practice for the dying or those suffering terrible pain that they wish the Lord to receive their soul? Why do some have this blessing and others not if it is an available blessing and serves to bring peace not only to the soon to be departed but their loved ones?

I've never heard of a 'release blessing'. However, I did give my father a blessing the day before he passed acknowledging that he had accomplished all that was needed for him here and that the Lord was pleased with his life's work. I also blessed him that he would be comfortable and relatively pain free while he went through his last hours, which did come to pass. He was lucid enough to know what was going on and when the last family member who was going to make it to see him arrived, he acknowledged him and then passed with an hour. I'm convinced he suffered little during his final hours, he knew what was coming and did not fear the next life at all.

Edited by john doe
fixed punctuation

I would speculate that it is rare simply because it should not become something like last rites. It sounds like a simple blessing of comfort. I know of times when one has been given a healing blessing and the spirit prompted the priesthood holder to give words of comfort rather than healing. I just worry (and I think the leaders of the church do as well) that this will culturally turn into a mandatory rite, which it is not.

I've never heard of a "release blessing" either. I've heard of blessings that are given before a person dies, unkowingly of course. And those blessing include mention of letting the person pass on if the Lord wills it. I've never heard of a blessing that is given so someone will die.

Basiclly if God wants someone to die then they will die. It doesn't matter if they have been given a blessing for it.

My great grandmother died about the exact same time my parents and aunts and uncles were at the end of a temple session. They had put her name on the prayer roll.

I've never heard of a release blessing I am not a priesthood holder but have seen my husband give two blessings to ease someone's passing (suspect thats a very non LDS way of phrasing it), one to my Father in Law and one to my dog (pretty much as said above she had achieved all she could in this life and could go knowing I was safe and she was surrounded by love - she died an hour later under christmas tree), my Father in Law also died hours later

I would like to know what a "release blessing" is. I have a vague idea..

I received word that an elderly lady I cared for passed away recently. But while on her deathbed, her family arranged that she have a release blessing, performed by LDS members. I get the sense that this sort of blessing, as it's called, "releases" someone into the next life peacefully by the Lord's will. Am I correct? I also wonder, why isn't this a common practice for the dying or those suffering terrible pain that they wish the Lord to receive their soul? Why do some have this blessing and others not if it is an available blessing and serves to bring peace not only to the soon to be departed but their loved ones?

yes a release from this life is given so that the suffering will continue no more; I have seen it work a number of times; All it is, is a preisthood blessing; {that always seems to work within hours, sometimes minutes}.:)

I recall hearing of a similar concept, though the terminology I recall hearing was "sealing up to death" or "delivering to the Lord".

My impression (which I can't substantiate) was that priesthood holders were discouraged from doing such blessings at some point; but I figure--say whatever the Spirit tells you to say.

It's a blessing that instead of being a healing blessing or commanding the elements with in the body to be healed, it is given when the priesthood holder is impressed upon to instruct the body to give up the spirit. Or in other words, it authorizes the spirit to return home.

A similar action was when the Savior gave up His spirit when upon the cross. Or when Abinadi prayed "Oh God receive my soul." And thereafter died. Mosiah 17:19-20.

It is a right of priesthood to command the spirit as well as the body. In the case of the Savior, it was the perfect example of the fullness of priesthood.