World Aids Day

CharlieDesRosiers

It's that philanthropic time of year again, Ladies and Gentlemen.

http://www.amfar.org/cgi-bin/iowa/index.html

http://www.avert.org/global-fund.htm

I strongly encourage everyone to get involved with their local reputable HIV/AIDS charitable organizations in any way they can. Donate your time, donate your money, lend a hand.

AIDS isn't just a matter for the homosexual community to deal with. The virus doesn't discriminate and neither should we.

How can I disagree with someone so free from compassion?

You're quite right, Seth. When the clouds part and God beams you up to the mothership, remember to put in a good word for the mere mortals below.

If we all lived in germ-free plastic bubbles, a lot of things would be preventable.

Waving your finger at someone who is sick and telling them they should have known better is not going to help them and it's not going to make them accept their fate sheepishly, knowing that you're right and they're wrong.

Besides, it isn't the point. The point is that people need help, and people need education. I don't understand how anyone can be adverse to that.

Originally posted by Jason@Dec 1 2005, 12:41 PM

Im actually going to agree with Setheus on this one.  HIV/AIDS is a preventable disease.  Unlike the host of other human diseases that, in my opinion, are more deserving of the billions of dollars of research money that is given to AIDS research.

And I am also going to agree with you Jason. I think it got out of control with the "free sex" lifestyle we have grown up in. Only people I would like to see helped with the aids research is the innocent victims who didn't have a say.

For those who choose a lifestyle of potential death....maybe they should just ###### it up and deal with the consequences.

AIDS is preventable....for those with sexually active lifestyles...but prevention IS fallible, (look at the number of pregnancies even with protection) But chosing a partner for sex shouldn't be fallible .....if you can't trust someone to be "clean" then you better be looking elsewhere for your own safety, and the safety of others.

There is no sense in playing with fire if you don't want to take that chance of being burned.

I agree that it’s not too much to ask that we show compassion to people who have AIDS while also trying to educate other people about how to avoid AIDS entirely, especially on a day like today, which is AIDS day.

So, in commemoration of AIDS day, I will now express the fact that I do have compassion for those who have AIDS, while also saying that I believe those who pay attention to the words of Setheus will do much good in helping to prevent contracting AIDS themselves and then spreading that AIDS to other people.

“There. How'd I do?”

Lindy -

I might be stating the obvious here but AIDS is far more than a USA "free love", counter culture, just say no, abstinence, type issue. It is a global one with an awful lot of ignorant people who don't even fully understand what causes AIDS, or are in such dire straights that the only way they can feed their children is through sexual favors. It is literally ravaging the African continent. It is bad here..... it is a pandemic there.

Originally posted by CharlieDesRosiers@Dec 1 2005, 10:25 AM

AIDS isn't just a matter for the homosexual community to deal with. The virus doesn't discriminate and neither should we.

That's hardly true.

Don't live a sexually promiscous lifestyle, don't be an illicit IV drug-user, don't go to a dentist who doesn't sterilize his equipment and don't box professionally in a state that doesn't test it's fighters for HIV and you will hardly ever get AIDS.

HIV/AIDS is among the very most discriminating of all diseases.

Hardly ever, huh? Well, that's good enough for me.

Let's just horde all the HIV positive people into camps and systematically kill them. That would work, too.

Then we could live our saintly lives in peace without any of this homosexual nonsense.

Have a heart, Snow. I'm talking about helping those who suffer. Regardless of their sexual orientation, politics, or past. That's all.

Guest ToasterOfen

Originally posted by Ray@Dec 1 2005, 01:24 PM

I agree that it’s not too much to ask that we  show compassion to people who have AIDS while also trying to educate other people about how to avoid AIDS entirely, especially on a day like today, which is AIDS day.

So, in commemoration of AIDS day, I will now express the fact that I do have compassion for those who have AIDS, while also saying that I believe those who pay attention to the words of Setheus will do much good in helping to prevent contracting AIDS themselves and then spreading that AIDS to other people.

I agree with Ray. I feel compassion for those who, even by their choices, have AIDS (my brother is gay, and for all I know has it) as it is a horrible disease, BUT honestly, they have a choice. Choose your partners more wisley, use protection or just don't do it!

My heart breaks for the young woman who is raped, contracts HIV and her children get it too. Those are the ones my heart weeps for. Sgallan made a point about it being rampant in Africa; the people in Africa, and others places as well, are recieving such mis-information about it and how to prevent it. There were "medicine men/women" in Africa telling men who had AIDS that they needed to have s*x with a virgin girl in order to be cured of AIDS, so these men were going out and raping girl babies hoping to be cured! (It makes me sick to my stomach.) And they don't have access to condoms in many of these villages where HIV/AIDS is rampant and everyone has it.

And what about the innocent children of a mother who was raped and now is infected and dies? What about children of a father who made a mistake at 16, has AIDS and is now going to die leaving behind his small children...and their mother is going to die too? In Africa (in particular) innocent children are losing both parents to AIDS...isn't it worth trying to do something for the children?

Guest Taoist_Saint

There are innocent people that get it. But a cure all for it is chastity before marriage fidelity after and avoidance of all homosexual activities.

I don't think avoidance of homosexual activities is relevant, if you consider that it is possible to be chaste and homosexual (though not by LDS standards). A chaste homosexual would not have premarital sex...he/she would then choose one partner to marry or commit to if marriage is illegal...and then remain faithful to that partner. If both partners were chaste and faithful, then they would not be at risk. Its not like homosexuality generates AIDS by itself...one partner must be infected.

So it is really all about chastity and fidelity, regardless of sexual orientation.

I can't figure out gay people wanting to fight funding for it when there behavior that can be controlled causes it.

I agree with this...and it would be counterproductive for ANYONE...even heterosexuals...to promote funding for AIDS research while not practicing chastity and fidelity.

Not that I would discourage irresponsible people from promoting funding of such research...even if they are misguided, they are still helping...

I disagree with anyone here who says that fighting AIDS is not worthwhile because its preventable...I might be wrong about this, but I think that these causes spend alot of their time and money teaching prevention...it is very worthwhile.

Originally posted by CharlieDesRosiers@Dec 1 2005, 12:08 PM

How can I disagree with someone so free from compassion?

You're quite right, Seth. When the clouds part and God beams you up to the mothership, remember to put in a good word for the mere mortals below.

If we all lived in germ-free plastic bubbles, a lot of things would be preventable.

Waving your finger at someone who is sick and telling them they should have known better is not going to help them and it's not going to make them accept their fate sheepishly, knowing that you're right and they're wrong.

Besides, it isn't the point. The point is that people need help, and people need education. I don't understand how anyone can be adverse to that.

Dear Mr Holier-than-thou,

Best regards to you and your lovely wife Selfa-Righteous.

Since most Ugandan don't post on this site we are talking to Britons, Canadians and Americans. To them, getting HIV is largely a matter of choice. In a world where there are limited resources, it makes sense to allocate our resources on some basis other than to give to those who are immoral and thus sick - by choice.

Now correct me if I am wrong but up to this point nobody said anything about not helping or educating people. You just made that up. Right?

Originally posted by CharlieDesRosiers@Dec 1 2005, 06:02 PM

Let's just horde all the HIV positive people into camps and systematically kill them. That would work, too.

Then we could live our saintly lives in peace without any of this homosexual nonsense.

Have a heart, Snow. I'm talking about helping those who suffer. Regardless of their sexual orientation, politics, or past. That's all.

Nut Case Alert

Care to explain how you go from someone who thinks, correctly, that HIV is preventable all the way to thinking that we should commit mass murder.

Take a pill and go consult with mommy. She'll set you straight.

Guest Taoist_Saint

Originally posted by Snow+Dec 1 2005, 07:18 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-CharlieDesRosiers@Dec 1 2005, 06:02 PM

Nut Case Alert

Care to explain how you go from someone who thinks, correctly, that HIV is preventable all the way to thinking that we should commit mass murder.

Take a pill and go consult with mommy. She'll set you straight.

I think she was being sarcastic, Snow...

Oh, Snow. You delightful creature.

You nice friend Charlie will explain everything.

The whole point of this thread was to draw attention to World AIDS Day and offer a few ways of helping those in need, because as people alive on the earth today the epidemic affects us all in one way or another. How this ended up being a debate about preventing AIDS, chastity, fidelity, and using our personal standards to judge which people deserve our charity is a matter beyond me. In that respect, I'm just as puzzled as you are.

I don't advocate mass murder, Darling. I was using a device you seem to be quite familiar with. Snark.

Cheer up. Let's be friends.

Really Tao - ya think?

The point is that he/she was making a wildly outrageous point in attempts to paint someone (who thinks that contracting HIV in the modern world does so largely of thier own poor moral outlook) as an irrational reactionary.

It's a screwball tactic.

Originally posted by CharlieDesRosiers@Dec 1 2005, 06:25 PM

Oh, Snow. You delightful creature.

You nice friend Charlie will explain everything.

The whole point of this thread was to draw attention to World AIDS Day and offer a few ways of helping those in need, because as people alive on the earth today the epidemic  affects us all in one way or another.  How this ended up being a debate about preventing AIDS, chastity, fidelity, and using our personal standards to judge which people deserve our charity is a matter beyond me. In that respect, I'm just as puzzled as you are.

I don't advocate mass murder, Darling. I was using a device you seem to be quite familiar with. Snark.

Cheer up. Let's be friends.

You needn't explain anything because you are transparent. When you ran across people who disagreed with them, you attempted to portray them as idiots and now that you got caught, you want to play nice. That's dandy, we can play nice but it doesn't me you won't get called on your manure.

Guest Taoist_Saint

Originally posted by Snow@Dec 1 2005, 07:25 PM

Really Tao - ya think?

I know I was stating the obvious, but your response to her didn't seem to acknowledge that her statement was sarcastic.

By calling her a nutcase and asking how she had changed her behavior you seemed to be taking what she said at face value. Also since you referred to her as "Mr" I thought that maybe you weren't thinking clearly today.

It seems your attempt at a sarcastic response to her sarcastic post was lost on me because it was...well, to be honest, it was really poor sarcasm...no offense...