One of the things I find interesting about Mormonism is the idea that there are Prophets on the Earth today leading the Church. I've heard Thomas Monson speak and while he says some good things, it strikes me that much of what he says is simply common sense or messages that are repeated from the scriptures.

Joseph Smith claimed to be a Prophet and he gave the world the Book of Mormon among other things to prove his claim. I don't know if I believe he was a Prophet or not, but he did offer something.

Has Thomas Monson offered any new teaching or predicted any event to prove his claim to be a Prophet? Does he actually claim to be a Prophet or is it a title others use for him? Is he considered a Prophet in the same way that Moses was a Prophet or is it different now?

When I think of a Prophet I think of the OT Prophets. It's a weird thought to me personally to think of Abraham, Moses, Isiah, Thomas Monson.

Do you believe there are other Prophets on Earth who aren't Mormons?

All of the members of the First Presidency of the LDS church and the called Apostles are called Prophets, Seers and Revelators. That would be 15 prophets at one time. President Thomas Monson is the presiding or senior Apostle and current leader of the LDS church.

In your faith do you have a leader? Do you follow an established religion? What is the leader of that church called, if you have one?

Best regards,

Ben Raines

Hi Ben,

I don't have an established religion. I guess you could call me a free agent. I believe in God or a creator, but beyond that it's a sea of confusion.

I'm at a stage in life where I feel like I'm drifting and wasting life. If there is something more, I'm hoping to find it soon and find the direction God wants.

Prophets are the persons of authority that have the ability to get direct revelation from God pertaining the church. They're not there just for "major" revelations.

Okay, here's a perfect example - During Noah's time there was no such thing as a printing press. Therefore, there wouldn't have been any revelation as to how the word of God could have been sent to all 4 corners of the earth maintaining accurate versions of each handwritten copy or word-of-mouth stories.

In Joseph Smith's time, the printing press came into existence - therefore, Joseph Smith was able to direct the church in using this technology.

In Joseph Smith's time, there was no internet. Joseph Smith could not have given the church instructions on whether internet use was appropriate in revealing the words of God. It is up to the current prophet to guide the church in matters of the internet.

We have economic turmoil today - not something that was revelant in Noah's time. We have been instructed by the modern prophets since... the 70's?... to have food storage and emergency preparedness plans. We now see in the last year why this has been taught and mentioned in almost every General Conference in the past decades.

That's not something Noah could have helped us with.

I think one of the things we must remember is that prophets in the Bible are not restricted to those who have books named after them. In reading scriptures, there is often mentioned other prophets, but we do not have actual record of them. Does that make them less of a prophet?

The Bible Dictionary (found in the LDS version of KJV) states: The work of a Hebrew prophet was to act as God’s messenger and make known God’s will. How many times does God repeat His commandments and admonitions? Is it any wonder that His prophets simply repeat what has already been said?

I don't expect Pres Monson to give any new teaching or predict a great event, but I will not be surprised if he does.

Prophets are the persons of authority that have the ability to get direct revelation from God pertaining the church. They're not there just for "major" revelations.

Okay, here's a perfect example - During Noah's time there was no such thing as a printing press. Therefore, there wouldn't have been any revelation as to how the word of God could have been sent to all 4 corners of the earth maintaining accurate versions of each handwritten copy or word-of-mouth stories.

In Joseph Smith's time, the printing press came into existence - therefore, Joseph Smith was able to direct the church in using this technology.

In Joseph Smith's time, there was no internet. Joseph Smith could not have given the church instructions on whether internet use was appropriate in revealing the words of God. It is up to the current prophet to guide the church in matters of the internet.

We have economic turmoil today - not something that was revelant in Noah's time. We have been instructed by the modern prophets since... the 70's?... to have food storage and emergency preparedness plans. We now see in the last year why this has been taught and mentioned in almost every General Conference in the past decades.

That's not something Noah could have helped us with.

I guess I tend to think of Prophets bringing major revelation or news, Noah and the flood, Moses and the 10 commandments, so on.

In large part, I see the teachings of today you mention as being common sense. Perhaps I discount common sense and make too many assumptions about people having common sense? Maybe people are too side tracked with life and need to hear those messages.

Most of Moses' time was not spent getting stone tablets from Sinai. Most of his time was spent handling the daily affairs of the community. In fact, it had him so busy that his father-in-law Jethro, advised him to select judges to work underneath him on smaller cases and issues, so he wouldn't wear himself out.

Joseph Smith established a strong modern foundation for the Church. There isn't a need for continuous new revelations as there is a need to plant the current teachings into the hearts of the members, and accomplish the revealed commands of God: preach the gospel, build temples, help the poor and needy, etc.

When you look at the vast majority of the prophesies and teachings of the Bible's prophets and apostles, you get the same general message most of the time: Repent, have Faith, Be Obedient, Love one Another. The apostle Paul basically taught the same things that Isaiah and Noah taught, with just a few differences (Paul didn't tell his people to build an ark, just repent).

How are the prophets found and appointed?

The Church is organized with a Presidency of 3 Prophets, and a Quorum of 12 Apostles, who are also prophets.

When one prophet dies, the President, or head Prophet, will prayerfully seek inspiration from God on who should take the dead prophet's position. When the Lord has directed him to that individual, the Prophet then presents the name for approval before all the other prophets/apostles. Once approved and called, the prophets lay their hands upon his head and ordain him to the office of apostle and prophet.

If the President dies, then the presiding Apostle/Prophet next in line leads the others in prayerfully selecting a new Prophet. Traditionally they have always selected the senior apostle. Once selected and sustained by a vote of the group, the person is set apart by laying on of hands by the others holding the authority.

It is a very orderly process. There is no political posturing, as in some other Christian faiths when the leader dies.

...In Joseph Smith's time, the printing press came into existence...

The printing press came into existence hundreds of years before JS's time.

The mechanical systems involved were first assembled in Germany by the goldsmith Johannes Gutenberg around 1440, based on existing screw-presses used to press cloth, grapes, etc. and possibly prints.[1] Gutenberg was the first in Western Europe to develop a printing press.

Printing press - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

M. :)

Yes, President Hinckley was the President of the Church and when he passed away President Monson was Called. The current first presidency and quorum of the 12 apostles constitute the 15 men members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints sustain as "prophets, seers and revelators" if you go to lds.org and look at the November 2009 issue of the ensign you will see a portion entitled "sustaing of church oficers" Every 6 months we sustain the general authorities of the church. This is an excerpt from that article "

“The Sustaining of Church Officers,” Ensign, Nov 2009, 25

It is proposed that we sustain Thomas Spencer Monson as prophet, seer, and revelator and President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Henry Bennion Eyring as First Counselor in the First Presidency; and Dieter Friedrich Uchtdorf as Second Counselor in the First Presidency.

Those in favor may manifest it.

Those opposed, if any, may manifest it.

It is proposed that we sustain Boyd Kenneth Packer as President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and the following as members of that quorum: Boyd K. Packer, L. Tom Perry, Russell M. Nelson, Dallin H. Oaks, M. Russell Ballard, Richard G. Scott, Robert D. Hales, Jeffrey R. Holland, David A. Bednar, Quentin L. Cook, D. Todd Christofferson, and Neil L. Andersen.

Those in favor, please manifest it.

Any opposed may so indicate.

It is proposed that we sustain the counselors in the First Presidency and the Twelve Apostles as prophets, seers, and revelators.

All in favor, please manifest it.

Contrary, if there be any, by the same sign."

I hope this helps clear things up,

Mags

I would note that even some of the doctrines we get from Joseph Smith may very well have been adapted from existing teachings that originated elsewhere. For example, our concept of three degrees of heaven is very like the writings of one Emanuel Swedenborg, who lived a few decades before Joseph Smith.

One aspect of a prophet's duties is to be a conduit for new revelation, if and when God decides to provide it. But another one, I think, is just sifting through the teachings already current in the world, warning against the false ones, and endorsing and propagating the true ones.

Moses promulgated the ten commandments in their current form, but surely he was not the first person ever to teach that idolatry, adultery, and false swearing are offensive to God.

One of the things I find interesting about Mormonism is the idea that there are Prophets on the Earth today leading the Church. I've heard Thomas Monson speak and while he says some good things, it strikes me that much of what he says is simply common sense or messages that are repeated from the scriptures.

It should be no surprise that what he says are good common sense. One should expect it of somebody called by God.

An interesting thing to bear in mind about the Bible, particularly the New Testament. Jesus Christ's teachings borrowed heavily from the Old Testament and from Jewish scholars from the time. A huge amount of the New Testament is a patchwork of quotes from the Old Testament. Does the fact that everything in the New Testament isn't something brand new make it less true or less relevant? Certainly not! Does the fact that Jesus taught from the Old Testament make him less than what we believe he was? No it doesn't. Does the fact that Jesus of Nazareth had very, very few original ideas and teachings mean he is not the Messiah? Nope!

You'll find this theme through the entire Bible. More recent writings are constantly borrowing from older writings.

What we believe Thomas Monson to be is God's authorized servant through which new information and guidance can and will come. Among the successors of Joseph Smith, many have exercised this authority. Brigham Young led the saints from Nauvoo Illinois to the Salt Lake Valley of Utah. Wilford Woodruff and Spencer Kimball each had significant changes in the will of the Lord communicated to them. But for the most part, we should expect that if the ship is already on the right course, there's not a great need to make dramatic changes.

Joseph Smith claimed to be a Prophet and he gave the world the Book of Mormon among other things to prove his claim. I don't know if I believe he was a Prophet or not, but he did offer something.

Has Thomas Monson offered any new teaching or predicted any event to prove his claim to be a Prophet? Does he actually claim to be a Prophet or is it a title others use for him? Is he considered a Prophet in the same way that Moses was a Prophet or is it different now?

When I think of a Prophet I think of the OT Prophets. It's a weird thought to me personally to think of Abraham, Moses, Isiah, Thomas Monson.

The thing that most people tend to miss about ancient prophets. They were all flesh and blood. They were human beings just like the rest of us. They made mistakes, had their own personal weaknesses, and they didn't have glowy auras nor halos surrounding them. If you and I met Jesus Christ when he was on the Earth, we would see an ordinary man. If you met Jeremiah while he was live, you would meet an ordinary man.

The question about whether he's like Moses is very interesting. Yes and no. Moses relocated God's people to a new land. (Joseph Smith and Brigham Young both did that as well.) Moses received the law of God for His people. (Joseph Smith did that in our case.) Prophets who came after Moses didn't need to do over what Moses had already done, simply because it was already done. Some of those coming after Moses performed great miracles, but some did not.

For example Ezekiel has no explicit miracles to his credit. Many prophets and high priests led, but did not bring forth any new revelation. But they were guides sent from God in ever case.

Are there men of God that are not members of the Church of Jesus Christ? Yes, and there are many of them that do much good in the world.

Are there Prophets among them? No. This should be fairly clear because our entire message is that the authority from God had been lost and was restored. The Church of Jesus Christ today has 12 Apostles just as the ancient Church of Jesus Christ did. It has chosen men of God. Our message to the world is that God has restored his Church and Kingdom on Earth again, so the only men on earth explicitly and completely authorized by God would be found exclusively within that Church and Kingdom.

The fact of the matter is, virtually none of the other Christian denominations claim to have Prophets and Apostles who are equal in authority with ancient Prophets and Apostles. So there really isn't a lot of, "My Prophet is true and your Prophet is false" going on. The contention is mostly over whether God called Thomas Monson and his fellow Apostles and whether they are really what they say they are. Whether God still sends Prophets and Apostles amongst mankind, and if these men really are Prophets and Apostles.

The consensus amongst traditional Christian denominations is that at some point, God simply stopped sending fully authorized servants to guide humankind. We disagree.

Edited by Faded

not so much for me.. but then i've lived with that for a long time. however if you study a lot of those old prophets, a majority of their teachings was common sense things unless the people were deep into sin. Especially Abraham- I can't find anything in where he dealt with his fellowmen where he expounded all the things he heard from God... But he used great common sense and courtesy.

The Job of a prophet is to keep God's children on the right path.... if that means they need to recieve new revelations to give to them, they will... or if it means to reiterate older ones, then they will.. or if it means to just council, they will.

In hindsight from the bible generally the ones that demand a prophet to prove themselves are in for trouble when he does.

For aseeker of faith to "prove" a prophet requires prayers and Faith to God. I have aquiatences who have had experiences with Thomas Monson to know that he is definitely moved by the Holy Ghost. My own personal experiences has been every conference when the prophet spoke it was directly on something that I was struggling with in some form or another, which has been kinda freaky.

So is he a prophet? he's proved it to me.

official ones? no. Do i believe that there are people who aren't mormon that are wrought upon by the spirit and make prophecy? yes (altho that exact scenario I think is rare)

PS

Commmon sense isn't that common.

The belief in the infallibility of prophets is not part of our doctrine. The only perfect person to ever walk the earth was Jesus Christ.

We do have assurances that the prophet, when acting with his prophetic authority, will not lead us astray. If he does so he will be removed post haste from his position.

I find it very comforting that Christ can use us less than perfect people to bring about his kingdom here on earth. I am very thankful for prophets who "guide us in these latter days".

Just my thoughts,

Mags