I Wonder How Much Shipping Would Cost For This.

thedreadedbat

This has been in the news for two weeks.

I was surprised it was not brought up sooner here.

There have been reports that the shipping containers were mixed up one to be sent to be disposed of and one that was the right equipment. It was a hot button issue but that was a wile back.

I mean really can you see the church doing that? :hmmm:

It had to be a mix up

Originally posted by Setheus@Dec 20 2005, 10:24 PM

Well, the fact that they lable the world wide LDS church as "US Mormon" church gives me some reserves about the accuracy of their claims.

The LDS church which is commonly referred to as "The Mormon Church" was invented in the United States. Are you saying that because the author doesn't use the official LDS politically correct jargin the article is inaccurate?

Originally posted by glindakc@Dec 21 2005, 10:16 AM

i couldn't see it. what was it?

China returns expired equipment, dirty surgical clothes donated by U.S. Mormon church

BEIJING -- Thousands of pounds of medical equipment reportedly donated to China by the U.S. Mormon church will be returned because it includes stained bedding, used surgical clothes, and expired medical equipment, local media and a charity official said Friday.

The donations came from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Salt Lake City, Utah, said a woman reached at the publicity department of China Charity, the country's largest charitable organization. She declined to give her name and could provide no further details about the donor.

The woman confirmed a report on The Beijing News Web site that said three containers of donations sent to charitable organizations in Beijing and the northern provinces of Anhui and Hebei were found to be of "questionable quality" and would be sent back.

Customs inspectors in Beijing found medical pipes that expired in 1998, dirty, mildewed sheets and used surgical gowns in one of the shipments, the newspaper said. Similarly shoddy goods were also found in the shipments sent to Anhui and Hebei, it said.

The shipment for Anhui alone totaled 926 boxes and weighed 6,910 kilograms, the newspaper said. It did not give the size of the other two shipments. (AP)

I understand what you are trying to say Glindakc..that they might try to salvage whatever was useful from the 'dirty' stuff they were sent, even tho I tend to agree with Winnie's explanation that the bad batch could have accidentally ended up being packed away with the clean stuff being sent...

Originally posted by glindakc@Dec 22 2005, 01:26 PM

i have no clue!!! if there was like a hurricane where i am and we have absolutely NOTHING, i know i would like some of that stuff if i was dying... but not like used needles or something.

i don't know i'm trying to find a positive! lol

Hopefully it was a mistake. That is understandable.

But, if not, with the amount of money the LDS church has, I would be very upset if I paid tithing to the LDS church thinking that some of my money was going for humanitarian aid... then they sent crap like that.

But of course, that's just me!

Shan, really why would it be less than a mistake? Have you ever seen something like this happen before? The church does good for many many people and I have been to the welfare center, worked there (sorting), and seen the things that they send. I am sure it cost the church plenty to send this stuff and they did it will only charity and good intentions in mind.

It was a mistake.

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields@Dec 22 2005, 02:35 PM

Shan, really why would it be less than a mistake? Have you ever seen something like this happen before? The church does good for many many people and I have been to the welfare center, worked there (sorting), and seen the things that they send. I am sure it cost the church plenty to send this stuff and they did it will only charity and good intentions in mind.

It was a mistake.

I agree that it was probably a mistake. The point I was trying to make is to Glinda who sd, "if there was like a hurricane where i am and we have absolutely NOTHING, i know i would like some of that stuff if i was dying... but not like used needles or something."

From what she sd, it was OK for the church to do this, even if it WAS intentional. That is what I was addressing.

Originally posted by thedreadedbat@Dec 20 2005, 09:04 PM

http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/internationa...0in032000c.html

This was a mistake on someone's part, that's for sure. China is still a communist government, with an official anti-religious stance. The government sees religion as a danger to public order, and as a "counter-revolutionary" force. It tolerates an official church, called the Three-Self Peoples Movement. The TSPM represents all Protestant Christians, and is not allowed to preach about Jesus' rising from the dead, about such things as the "blood of Jesus," about the second coming, etc. Furthermore, the congregations have a team of four ministers, one of whom must be a member of the communist party (i.e., not a believer). Sermons are censored. And, the bottom-line reality is that 90% of Christians do not attend the TSPM, but risk themselves and family members by attending underground house churches.

Additionally, there is a strong anti-missionary mentality in China--which is not totally undeserved. Missionaries came to China with western war ships, and with the opium traders. Thus, they were seen as representing foreign interests, rather than God.

So...this was not an "oops" mistake. This is the type of colossal error that many in China's government salivate for. I am quite certain that this episode was reported in the Chinese media with some glee.

No Christian (LDS or not), indeed no American, can take joy or snicker at this story. Few Chinese will distinguish between LDS and Christians in general, and most will believe our government probably had its fingers in this episode.

It sure is good to know that all news read in the press is correct and that no mistakes are ever made. It allows me to sleep easier at night knowing I can trust everything I read in the press and online. Phew.

How about a mistake was made in labeling or shipping. Most items given by LDS church are sent to other charitable organizations for distribution.

Also medical supplies that expire by US standards are used all over the world. I have several friends who are surgeons who travel to Latin America to operate once a year and they say that the standards they work under in other parts of the world are so far below what we would not accept in the US but the work gets done.

There are LDS service and English teaching missionaries in China and have been for years.

It is sad that an innocent mistake by someone is made into such a colossal international problem. The church has sent literally hundreads and probably thousands of tons of aid throughout the world this year and a wrong shipping label causes this. If they could not use them, why not just put them in the dumpster and forget it. How much more was good product sent by the church to them? But nothing is said about that. After all, the church is sending them medical equipment and lots of other things and the church is not even allowed to be in the country. We live in a very ungrateful world....