cable or dish?

Guest xforeverxmetalx

We have DirecTV... works pretty much great, can't really complain. It does go out during big storms though. But it has to get pretty big for that, a typical rain system won't make a difference.

we have dish network. in the area where we are options are limited. the reason i prefer it over cable is that we can get the byu station (for an extra cost of course) that allows us to get conference and such. i like that. it does have it's issues on occasion with storms but really not enough to bother me. anything sending signals through the air will have issues in a storm, including your cordless home phone. ours has a lot of dvr time so we make sure there are things there everyone will like. when it doesn't get a signal and you think you just "have" to watch tv the dvr still works. i think if it loses signal or not has a lot to do with if it's set up and pointed properly. nothing is perfect but i'm satisfied with it.

hmmm I wonder why I have never experienced this. Maybe you have severe storms where you are that we never get here.

one time after a storm my cordless phone wouldn't work, every time i turned it on i would pick up someone else's conversations. i would turn it off and back on and get a different one. was kinda fun actually, they couldn't hear me i was just "listening in". i got on the corded phone and called the phone company. they said it's not that uncommon at all after storms and such. the signals in the air get messed up and it needs to reset itself. i was told to take it apart like i was going to put it in the box and take it back to the store give it half an hour and then put it together and try again. if it didn't work to call them back. but it worked. happened a couple times after that and fixed it the same way.

baby monitors will do the same thing. one time i turned mine on and instead of hearing my baby i heard the neighbor on her's reading her kids a story. didn't matter how many times i turned it off it picked up her's. tried the same thing, unplugged, took batteries out waited awhile and then put it back together. it actually didn't work (baby monitors have 2 settings) so i called the neighbor and asked what setting her's was on. i took mine apart again and when i put it back together i made sure i was on the other setting. worked fine after that.

my kids can't use their remote controlled toys at the same time. the signals cross and they don't work right.

i've always been told anything that sends signals through the air is subject to interference. any phone that doesn't use a cord is not a secure line. if you want a truly private conversation then don't talk on the cordless or cell.

Where I live there is snow in the winter, which makes satellite dishes covered with snow and loose its reception. I do have to point out that all cable companies use satellites for their signals, so I just say, use the cheapest form of TV platform that you can find, since there is no difference between cable and satellite.

Where I live there is snow in the winter, which makes satellite dishes covered with snow and loose its reception. I do have to point out that all cable companies use satellites for their signals, so I just say, use the cheapest form of TV platform that you can find, since there is no difference between cable and satellite.

I've used both here and it is extremely rare the cable goes out. Using a dish it would go out during many storms. It's the same for everyone here.

I beg to differ. I am not seasonal. I'm all-year round.

thanks gwen. i was told that direct tv has added more satellites so their signals are better.

as for cable companies also using dishes, that is true, however, i believe that since the dishes are bigger, they are more sensitive to weaker signals and can still pick up in bad weather, were as a smaller dish may not.

i REALLY want to try this......the wife is addamantly opposed,lol.

need some good arguments to win her over, lol.