Arizona immigration law fallout harms LDS Church outreach

Saguaro

"I decided I did not want to expose my kids to a religion that has members that hate other people because they are different," Corral said. (the article says he's catholic)

Like there aren't Catholics who hate other people because they are different????

I was under the impression that Arizona's law was about illegal immigration, not hate.

Edited by applepansy

It's human nature. I see it all the time. Most recently, I saw a woman have a crisis of faith because of Glen Beck's statements about social justice. "How could a mormon believe that?"

She seemed okay with it when I explained the disconnect between religion and politics. But for a while, she struggled with the idea that if a member of the Church was saying it, shouldn't it be right? It can be very hard for people to separate others' political beliefs from their religious beliefs, largely because we tend to assume that a person's religious beliefs drive their political beliefs (a dangerous assumption, if you ask me).

That kind of a crisis of faith isn't entirely uncommon either. During the 2008 campaign, the attendance of black members of our ward trailed off as the election grew nearer and the transplants from Utah became more chatty about politics in the halls.

From the article:

"The husband of a woman (at her church) is not letting her go back to the church because he knows a Mormon made this law," Castañeda said.

Of course, the problem isn't a culture where it's entirely acceptable for a husband to control his wife like this. The problem--as always--is the Mormons.

I'm not very familiar with the Arizona Republic, but from the few Mormon-themed stories I've read on its website it seems like the Arizona equivalent of the Salt Lake Tribune.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

It is about taking back your borders. Texas and New Mexico are now looking into the same passage of law. Texas is the state I really feel sorry for since it is next to the world's number one murderous city - lying across the border. Since the beginning of this year, there is now over 2,000 murders just in city.

Now, if we can send the Marines to the border and allowed to operate without government interference, how many of those drug and human traffickers will dare to cross. :lol:

Now, if we can send the Marines to the border and allowed to operate without government interference, how many of those drug and human traffickers will dare to cross. :lol:

Hate to say it, but putting Marines on the border IS "government interference". But in this case, it's constitutional to protect our borders, so I'm OK with it!!!

HiJolly

Hidden

This was on the front page of my newspaper this morning.

Arizona immigration law fallout harms LDS Church outreach

I'm not a fan of Russell Pearce, but it's too bad that one person can be perceived to represent the entire church.

This article is actually laughable. I lived through the era when Elder Ezra Taft Benson was the reason many refused to join the Church.

I lived through an era when it was the Church's stance on the so-called Equal rights amendment that was impeding our Missionaries ability to make conversions.

I've lived through Proposition 22 and Proposition 8 as the reason our Church is going to Hell in a fast car.

Alas, President Benson is in Heaven, the ERA is dead, and Prop 8 is history...YET, the Church is still here, still growing, still thriving.

Come on folks, let's place our faith in our Lord and Savior...and not the pages of the Arizona Republic.

Hidden

It's human nature. I see it all the time. Most recently, I saw a woman have a crisis of faith because of Glen Beck's statements about social justice. "How could a mormon believe that?"

She seemed okay with it when I explained the disconnect between religion and politics. But for a while, she struggled with the idea that if a member of the Church was saying it, shouldn't it be right? It can be very hard for people to separate others' political beliefs from their religious beliefs, largely because we tend to assume that a person's religious beliefs drive their political beliefs (a dangerous assumption, if you ask me).

That kind of a crisis of faith isn't entirely uncommon either. During the 2008 campaign, the attendance of black members of our ward trailed off as the election grew nearer and the transplants from Utah became more chatty about politics in the halls.

Was this over Prop 1?