What is the role of LDS Scholars in LDS Doctrine?

Guest mormonmusic

Guest mormonmusic

We were talking with prisonchaplain about the role of religious scholars in helping his affiliation develop answers or positions on points of doctrine that present themselves. Apparently, religious scholars are also relied upon to help solve doctrinal questions that are particularly complex (correct me if I'm wrong about this prisonchaplain). They are schooled in the ancient languages, and have many years of study in many aspects of the scriptures, religious history etcetera.

I was wondering, who are the LDS religious scholars of our day, and what is their role in addressing similar questions that affect our faith? To what extent does the First Presidency interact with LDS scholars, and what input, if any, do they have in developing say, general handbook policies and procedures that aren't neatly addressed in the scriptures, or other issues such as doctrines if any (such as changes to the temple ceremony for example, if they even do)? If LDS Biblical scholars are consulted in any way, upon what kinds of issues would they be consulted?

I think they play "too much" of a roll for many members but really have none, and they even admit it.

FAIR is not owned, controlled by or affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. All research and opinions provided on this site are the sole responsibility of FAIR, and should not be interpreted as official statements of LDS doctrine, belief or practice.

In traditional Christianity you have doctrine that comes from ancient scriptures so having experts to help put in perspective is very useful.

For the church doctrine found in scripture is expounded on by the living Prophet and Apostles.

We were talking with prisonchaplain about the role of religious scholars in helping his affiliation develop answers or positions on points of doctrine that present themselves. Apparently, religious scholars are also relied upon to help solve doctrinal questions that are particularly complex (correct me if I'm wrong about this prisonchaplain). They are schooled in the ancient languages, and have many years of study in many aspects of the scriptures, religious history etcetera.

I was wondering, who are the LDS religious scholars of our day, and what is their role in addressing similar questions that affect our faith? To what extent does the First Presidency interact with LDS scholars, and what input, if any, do they have in developing say, general handbook policies and procedures that aren't neatly addressed in the scriptures, or other issues such as doctrines if any (such as changes to the temple ceremony for example, if they even do)? If LDS Biblical scholars are consulted in any way, upon what kinds of issues would they be consulted?

Question is, define doctrine? Yes! The church has a standard verbiage that provides an average member of the church what the church considered doctrine. What do to tell a person who beyond our normal capacity, which is taught at the hand of the Holy Ghost or those, assigned to them what is further doctrine; now commissioned by the Godhead to teach that individual? A normal individual receives doctrine from the church or past prophetic writings. But, we failed to understand what constitutes GODLY doctrine. Let us never forget, there are 15 brethren who stand as one, providing doctrine for the church.

Yet, one can argue the point of how doctrine should only be received or delivered by the hands of a prophet or by the officials of the church. Looking at past canonized writings, we still use the words of Mark, Luke, Paul, and few others, who without any official merit, still considered doctrine based on some past council of a fallen church and by pagans and apostated clergy of that time. Is that doctrine? Should we consider it still doctrine?

There extensive list of I considered great scholars of our day namely just a few here;

Millet

Robinson

Skinner

Ludlow

Allen

Nibley

O. McConkie

so forth...

S. E. Black

Fronk

Ball

Harper

Each one has a unique background in various areas of the scriptures, whether it is ancient writings to particular writers of scriptorium. Each one can provide background of specific subject, where we can learn and apply it to our edification when the Spirit testifies to us that it is truth.

There input has been seen in various writings, talks, and footnotes of the brethren; when it provides necessary insight or depth to a topic. The brethren are not dependent on the scholars for revelatory answers or writings of the CHoI. This area is left to the Holy Ghost to provide the answer.

Are they consulted? Yes! When it is necessary to gain further insight to specific question but not for an answer.

Edited by Hemidakota

Here is a partial on my "living LDS scholars" list. Note, we do not have a paid clergy, so many are of the laity type. Also, there are many areas of expertise to consider.

Daniel Peterson

William Hamblin

Kevin Barney

Davis Bitton

Richard L. Bushman

Dean Byrd

James Faulconer

John Gee

Kent Jackson

Paul Hoskisson

Jeff Lindsay

Nathan Oman

Blake Ostler

Royal Skousen

Here is a website where Mormon scholars give their testimonies: Mormon Scholars Testify Testimonies

On scholars of LDS teachings, I would also include a few non-LDS, as well:

Sarah Barringer Gordon

Jan Shipps

Guest mormonmusic

I think we've been able to name LDS Scholars, but I don't see much discussion about their role in settling points of doctrine. I thnk this suggests their role is limited to teaching courses, developing curriculum and writing books, and perhaps being on the speaker circuit. And of course, serving in various callings just like other members of the Church.

It wouldn't surprise me if they are also involved in those organizations set up to defend the LDS faith that are not officially part of the Church either.

I think we've been able to name LDS Scholars, but I don't see much discussion about their role in settling points of doctrine. I thnk this suggests their role is limited to teaching courses, developing curriculum and writing books, and perhaps being on the speaker circuit. And of course, serving in various callings just like other members of the Church.

It wouldn't surprise me if they are also involved in those organizations set up to defend the LDS faith that are not officially part of the Church either.

They're not, see post 4.

Guest mormonmusic

I think they play "too much" of a roll for many members but really have none, and they even admit it.

In traditional Christianity you have doctrine that comes from ancient scriptures so having experts to help put in perspective is very useful.

[you had a quote in here too that refers to Fair's relationship with the Church =none]

For the church doctrine found in scripture is expounded on by the living Prophet and Apostles.

Hordak -- if this is the post you're referring to, I don't see the statement that LDS Scholars are not associated with those organizations anywhere. All it says is that those orgs aren't affiliated with the Church.

Hordak -- if this is the post you're referring to, I don't see the statement that LDS Scholars are not associated with those organizations anywhere. All it says is that those orgs aren't affiliated with the Church.

Confused by your question: But Dan Peterson writes for FAIR, and FAIR is one of those unofficial groups.

Guest mormonmusic

Confused by your question: But Dan Peterson writes for FAIR, and FAIR is one of those unofficial groups.

Then we're in agreement -- your conclusion is the one I was postulating.

Guest mormonmusic

Just remind people here, we have scholars here as part of this forum and those who are guest frequent this site.

I'd love to hear from them on their activities as they relate to doctrinal issues, as well as their overall activities in the Church -- whether they identify themselves as scholars or not. Probably not.

Here's a good quote by one of the LDS scholars explaining scholarship. Really what qualifies one to be a scholar? Within BYU itself there are a ton of scholars that really know their stuff, Ancient language etc. I do know head quarters consulted Nibley some on ancient type doctrine as well as the temple endowment. I think my favorites are Truman Madsen and Nibley.

"The first [conclusion] is that there are, contrary to popular evangelical perceptions, legitimate Mormon scholars. We use the term scholar in its formal sense of "intellectual, erudite; skilled in intellectual investigation; trained in ancient languages." Broadly, Mormon scholarship can be divided into four categories: traditional, neo-orthodox, liberal and cultural. We are referring to the largest and most influential of the four categories--traditional Mormon scholars. It is a point of fact that the Latter-day Saints are not an anti-intellectual group like Jehovah's Witnesses. Mormons, in distinction to groups like JWs, produce work that has more than the mere appearance of scholarship. The second conclusion we have come to is that Mormon scholars and apologists (not all apologists are scholars) have, with varying degrees of success, answered most of the usual evangelical criticisms. Often these answers adequately diffuse particular (minor) criticisms. When the criticism has not been diffused the issue has usually been made much more complex." Jeff Lindsay, LDS Scholar.

Doctrine and how it comes about is different in the Church than in other churches. We do not have an annual convention to discuss and vote on updating doctrine, such as the Community of Christ recently did in allowing gay marriage, etc.

However, our Church leaders do take note of the work and writings of our scholars. It helps many of them form their own opinions on a variety of issues. The Church's doctrinal foundation is largely established, and so any new changes usually come slow and carefully. However, issues such as the priesthood ban being lifted was preceded by scholars researching the history of the ban and concluding there was no real evidence of a curse, nor any revelation implementing it in the first place. Pres McKay had it researched, and I'm sure that it influenced Pres Kimball's efforts in having it lifted.

The Church turned to LDS scholars to write the 1992 Encyclopedia of Mormonism, as an effort to give some of the best thought regarding a wide variety of topics. Part of this effort was to replace Mormon Doctrine (which is now out of print, thankfully, as it has long needed a major update).

And LDS scholars are involved in reviewing many of the Conference talks to ensure they are accurate and use quotes properly; in developing the lesson manuals, and probably are involved in creating the new CHI.

I think it is a wise apostle who realizes his primary role is as a special witness of Christ, but that does not make him an expert in all fields.