Spiritual Gifts Question

Guest mormonmusic

Guest mormonmusic

I was teaching a lesson on Spiritual Gifts today, and I asked "What must we do to receive a spiritual gift?".

Someone said "Baptism", and another person said "Receive the Gift of the HOly Ghost".

I've never seen scripture or doctrine that specificially ties these ordinances to the subsequent bestowal of spiritual gifts, other than the Gift of the HOly Ghost, however.

So, I wasn't sure what to say about those answers. The answers came from people who don't participate very much in class, and the first time people participate, is an important moment in a class, so I didn't necessarily disagree with them.

However, my question lingers whether you specifically need to have those ordinances to receive subsequent gifts like the Gift of Tongues, teaching, knowledge, faith etcetera. My initial thought was "No", but I'd like to hear your own thoughts on the question.

i think if we are seeking to develop or obtain a spiritual gift then baptism etc are helpful. however, i don't think they are necessary. i think anyone who is seeking a gift to further god's work will be blessed due to their faith and righteous desires no matter their religion. i also think we come to this earth with certain gifts, anyone can develop the gifts they were given at birth.

LDS.org - Ensign Article - Spiritual Gifts

"Spiritual gifts come to those who have received the gift of the Holy Ghost. As the Prophet Joseph Smith taught, the gifts of the Spirit “are obtained through that medium” [the Holy Ghost] and “cannot be enjoyed without the gift of the Holy Ghost. … The world in general can know nothing about them.” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, comp. Joseph Fielding Smith, Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1938, pp. 243, 245; see also Elder Marion G. Romney in Conference Report, Apr. 1956, p. 72.) "

However, my question lingers whether you specifically need to have those ordinances to receive subsequent gifts like the Gift of Tongues, teaching, knowledge, faith etcetera. My initial thought was "No", but I'd like to hear your own thoughts on the question.

Question for Thought: Does this mean Joseph Smith was not bestowed with any spiritual gifts before he was baptized? Most noticeably I would think the gift of tongues (even if helped by the Urim and Thummim) and the gift of prophecy?

To be more direct I'm gonna say no, one does not need to have received ordinances to receive any spiritual gifts whatsoever.

Consider this:

19 And again, to some it is given to have faith to be healed;

24 And again, it is given to some to speak with tongues;

25 And to another is given the interpretation of tongues.

Were all those the Savior healed baptized first? I'd say no they were not, and were all those who experienced the Gift of Tongues at the day of Pentecost baptized? Once again I'd say no, it even talks about them baptizing a whole mess of people. There are of course some assumptions on my part.

Also depending on how you read verses 13 and 14 of the same chapter quoted above we are saying that nobody outside of this Church believes on the words of those who know that Jesus is the Christ. And interestingly enough, going back to Joseph Smith, we say even having experienced the First Vision he did not know that Jesus was the Christ until he was baptized.

The Gift of the Holy Ghost requires ordinances, spiritual gifts, even though the former I suppose is one, not all require such. It is like when I talked with investigators about the Gift of the Holy Ghost, while they can certainly feel the influence of the Holy Ghost (else how could they gain a testimony) that is not the same thing as the Gift of the Holy Ghost.

Edit: Reading Hemi's quote I'm wondering if we are experiencing different ideas of what it is to receive a spiritual gift.

Edited by Dravin

LDS.org - Ensign Article - Spiritual Gifts

"Spiritual gifts come to those who have received the gift of the Holy Ghost. As the Prophet Joseph Smith taught, the gifts of the Spirit “are obtained through that medium” [the Holy Ghost] and “cannot be enjoyed without the gift of the Holy Ghost. … The world in general can know nothing about them.” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, comp. Joseph Fielding Smith, Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1938, pp. 243, 245; see also Elder Marion G. Romney in Conference Report, Apr. 1956, p. 72.) "

And to support that:

It is the right of every worthy baptized member of the Church to have the constant influence of the Holy Ghost. Following a person’s baptism into the true Church of Jesus Christ, he receives the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands from one who has the proper authority (Acts 8: 12-25; Moro. 2: 1-3; D&C 39: 23). Receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost is often spoken of as a baptism by fire (Matt. 3: 11; D&C 19: 31).

Men are commanded to repent, be baptized, and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, Acts 2: 38. Peter and John conferred the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands, Acts 8: 14-22. The Holy Ghost is given by the laying on of hands, Acts 19: 2-6. The remission of sins comes by fire and by the Holy Ghost, 2 Ne. 31: 17. We believe in the laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost, A of F 1: 4.

The third member of the Godhead and, as the name implies, a personage of Spirit, not possessing a body of flesh and bones (D&C 130: 21-22). The Holy Ghost is manifested in every dispensation of the gospel since the beginning, being first made known to Adam (1 Ne. 10: 17-22; Moses 6: 51-68). The Holy Ghost is manifested to men on the earth both as the power of the Holy Ghost and as the gift of the Holy Ghost. The power can come upon one before baptism, and is the convincing witness that the gospel is true. It gives one a testimony of Jesus Christ and of his work and the work of his servants upon the earth. The gift can come only after proper and authorized baptism, and is conferred by the laying on of hands, as in Acts 8: 12-25 and Moroni 2: 1-3. The gift of the Holy Ghost is the right to have, whenever one is worthy, the companionship of the Holy Ghost. More powerful than that which is available before baptism, it acts as a cleansing agent to purify a person and sanctify him from all sin. Thus it is often spoken of as “fire” (Matt. 3: 11; 2 Ne. 31: 17; D&C 19: 31). The manifestation on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2) was the gift of the Holy Ghost that came upon the Twelve, without which they were not ready for their ministries to the world.

For some reason not fully explained in the scriptures, the Holy Ghost did not operate in the fulness among the Jews during the years of Jesus’ mortal sojourn (John 7: 39; John 16: 7). Statements to the effect that the Holy Ghost did not come until after Jesus was resurrected must of necessity refer to that particular dispensation only, for it is abundantly clear that the Holy Ghost was operative in earlier dispensations. Furthermore, it has reference only to the gift of the Holy Ghost not being present, since the power of the Holy Ghost was operative during the ministries of John the Baptist and Jesus; otherwise no one would have received a testimony of the truths that these men taught (cf. Matt. 16: 16-17; 1 Cor. 12: 3). When a person speaks by the power of the Holy Ghost that same power carries a conviction of the truth into the heart of the hearer (2 Ne. 33: 1). The Holy Ghost knows all things (D&C 35: 19) and can lead one to know of future events (2 Pet. 1: 21).

1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.

2 Ye know that ye were Gentiles, acarried away unto these dumb bidols, even as ye were led.

3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can asay that Jesus is the bLord, but by the cHoly Ghost.

4 Now there are diversities of agifts, but the same Spirit.

5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.

6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.

7 But the manifestation of the aSpirit is given to every man to profit withal.

8 For to one is agiven by the bSpirit the cword of dwisdom; to another the word of eknowledge by the same Spirit;

9 To another afaith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of bhealing by the same Spirit;

10 To another the working of amiracles; to another bprophecy; to another cdiscerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of dtongues:

11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.

13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one abody, whether we be Jews or bGentiles, whether we be cbond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

14 For the body is not one member, but many.

15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?

16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?

17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?

18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.

19 And if they were all one member, where were the body?

20 But now are they many members, yet but one body.

21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the ahead to the feet, I have no need of you.

22 Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be amore feeble, are necessary:

I hope these references helps^_^

There is a difference between influence of the Holy Ghost and the Gift of the Holy Ghost. Gifts of the spirit come only by covenant - and covenants are only established by the Power of the Holy Ghost through ordinances of the priesthood. (See D&C 132)

The Traveler

Guest mormonmusic

I've been chewing on this. One of the gifts is the Gift of Knowledge, such as "to know that Jesus is the Son of God" (check out Gospel Principles). The problem is that people dont' have the gift of the Holy Ghost BEFORE they receive that particular Gift of Knowledge. The gift of knowing Jesus is the Son of God is a pre-requisite to receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost.

Therere, there are spiritual gifts which are bestowed before any of the ordinances of the gospels are performed on a person.

I'll bet prisonchaplain could name Spiritual Gifts he's observed in other churches as well, where people haven't been baptized or received the G of HG at the hands of LDS Priesthood holders.

So, so far, I don't see Baptism and G of HG as pre-requisites to receiving many spiritual gifts.