Sacred Undergarments

cassious

Ok, I asked this in another thread, but was told to use the search function to find one on the topic. So a cut/paste of my question from the other thread:

I've read about the sacred undergarments a bit and had to try to field a couple questions about the 'magic underwear' when I told my classmates I got baptized Mormon, but I'm not completely sure what their purpose is.

What exactly is the significance of them? Does every LDS have to wear them or is it a personal choice? If you wear them, do you wear them all the time (like including swimming, etc)? Any other info would be appreciated. As far as I've understood, this is a touchy subject so I'm sorry if anyone is offended by what I've asked.

(This is about the LDS version of undergarments, seeing as info on the Jewish version has already been given)

Thanks!!

I think the best place for you to start is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

here are just a few articles that you should read:

LDS.org - Ensign Article - Prepare for Blessings of the Temple

and

LDS.org - Liahona Article - The Temple Garment: “An Outward Expression of an Inward Commitmentâ€

and it not so much as a "touchy" subject as it is a sacred. Your Relief Society President and also your Bishop is great place to ask questions. We also prefer to call them garments.

Garmets ARE sacred. Only members of the church who are endowed (which is basically all worthy married members or missionaries) wear them.

As a LDS teen, i hear snippets but basically Garments are worn to remind ppl about there promises they made in the temple and to protect them.

It really is not discussed lightly b/c there so sacred.

Try asking the missionaries-they could help.

What exactly is the significance of them?

They Remind us of Covenants that are made in the temple. Really they are part of the Covenants made. Just as the Sacrament reminds us of Jesus Christ, and our Covenant of Baptism. The Garments remind us more of Christ and of other Covenants.

Does every LDS have to wear them or is it a personal choice?

I guess its a personal Choice if you want to take out your endoments (go to the temple) but, I have to assume, LDS members want the blessings of the temple. The Garments are part of those blessings. Onces those Covenants are made, then you ware the garments all the time.

If you wear them, do you wear them all the time (like including swimming, etc)?

No, the garments are like underware. You don't wear underware in the swimming pool. Anyplace you would wear underwear is were you would wear your garments. (Yeah I tried to make that confusing).

Any other info would be appreciated. As far as I've understood, this is a touchy subject so I'm sorry if anyone is offended by what I've asked.

I don't know if touchy is the right word. The Temple, to LDS, is really Heaven on earth. Trying to talk about what goes on in the temple is something people have to be prepared for. It is something that we talk about casually (or we shouldn't). But when the time comes you can talk to your bishop and others about preparing for the Temple. Its not something that should be taken littlely (and I don't think you well). Its something we have to be spirtually ready for.

On one occasion one of the Brethren was invited to speak to the faculty and staff of the Navy Chaplains Training School in Newport, Rhode Island. The audience included a number of high-ranking naval chaplains from Catholic, Protestant, and Jewish faiths.

In the question-and-answer period one of the chaplains asked, "Can you tell us something about the special underwear that some Mormon servicemen wear?" The implication was, "Why do you do that? Isn't it strange? Doesn't that present a problem?"

To the chaplain who made the inquiry he responded with a question: "Which church do you present?" In response he named one of the Protestant churches.

He said, "In civilian life and also when conducting the meetings in the military service you wear clerical clothing, do you not?" The chaplain said that he did.

He continued: "I would suppose that that has some importance to you, that in a sense it sets you apart from the rest of your congregation. It is your uniform, as it were, of the ministry. Also, I suppose it may have much more important place. It reminds you of who you are and what your obligations and covenants are. It is a continual reminder that you are a member of the clergy, that you regard yourself as a servant of the Lord, and that you are responsible to live in such a way as to be worthy of your ordination."

He then told them: "You should be able to understand at least one of our reasons why Latter-Day Saints have a deep spiritual commitment concerning the garment. A major difference between your churches and ours is that we do not have a professional clergy, as you do. The congregations are all presided over by local leaders. They are men called from all walks of life. Yet they are ordained to the priesthood. They hold offices in the priesthood. They are set apart to presiding positions as presidents, counselors, and leaders in various categories. The women, too, share in that responsibility and in those obligations. The man who heads our congregation on Sunday as the bishop may go to work on Monday as a postal clerk, as an office worker, a farmer, a doctor; or he may be an air force pilot or a naval officer. By our standard he is as much an ordained minister as you are by your standard. He is recognized as such by most governments. We draw something of the same benefits from this special clothing as you would draw from your clerical vestments. The difference is that we wear ours under our clothing instead of outside, for we are employed in various occupations in addition to our service in the Church. These sacred things we do not wish to parade before the world."

There are some deeper spiritual meanings as well, we connect the practice of wearing our garments with covenants that we make in our Temples.We wouldn't find it necessary to discuss these--not that they are secret, but because they are sacred.

The garment, covering the body, is a visual and tactile reminder of these covenants. For many Church members the garment has formed a barrier of protection when the wearer has been faced with temptation. Among other things it symbolizes our deep respect for the laws of God--among them the moral standard.

Edited by anim82r

Ok, I asked this in another thread, but was told to use the search function to find one on the topic. So a cut/paste of my question from the other thread:

I've read about the sacred undergarments a bit and had to try to field a couple questions about the 'magic underwear' when I told my classmates I got baptized Mormon, but I'm not completely sure what their purpose is.

What exactly is the significance of them? Does every LDS have to wear them or is it a personal choice? If you wear them, do you wear them all the time (like including swimming, etc)? Any other info would be appreciated. As far as I've understood, this is a touchy subject so I'm sorry if anyone is offended by what I've asked.

(This is about the LDS version of undergarments, seeing as info on the Jewish version has already been given)

Thanks!!

there is always choice, however it is recommended to wear them when you can when it's appropriate (IE you don't have to wear them while swimming).

THe garments are not magic, however they are symbolic of various covenants we make in the temple (as well as to help us remind us of those things), and so we treat the symbols as a sacred part of that, in a similar manner that we treat the temple, baptism, and the sacrament.

Garments are a lot like the Priests collar.

It's a reminder of covenants made and is supposed to help remind us that we are to be better: Better fathers, husbands, sons and brothers in the case of men; Better mothers, daughters, wives and sisters in the case of wives.

Really, that's what the endowment boils down to: How to follow God better and to hold ourselves to a higher standard than we did before.

Plus, there's the laser vision.

I don't know if touchy is the right word. The Temple, to LDS, is really Heaven on earth. Trying to talk about what goes on in the temple is something people have to be prepared for. It is something that we talk about casually (or we shouldn't). But when the time comes you can talk to your bishop and others about preparing for the Temple. Its not something that should be taken littlely (and I don't think you well). Its something we have to be spirtually ready for.

All that, and plus:

It's underwear, for heaven's sake! A little curiosity from non-members is natural, but it doesn't hurt to remind them that--at the end of the day--underwear is kinda personal, Temple covenants or not.

I do not know why say a nun wears her clothing or why she has vowed her life to Christ but I think it's kinda the same for us except we do not choose to wear them over our clothing but under them. We do not try and make a statement with them to others or try to draw attention to them as does what a nun wears. We know and G_d knows what we have vowed or a better word would be covenanted. I will say after wearing them for over 33 years now they are a part of me.