World cup

Mahone

I dont know how big this is in the USA, however in the UK this is a really big thing. Later tonight England will be playing the USA. I'm currently at work putting the South Korea VS Greece match on all the display screens around the building. I'm having to use an online live TV streaming service as our display TVs don't have aerials connected to them. I'm curious as to how much the internet will slow down in general within the next two hours. I tested this with the match last night, and I could only connect to one online TV service, all the others had toppled over due to the strain, including the main broadcaster, ITV. Lets see what happens :D

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See here: TVCatchup Forums :D

Hi All

We must apologise to our long standing members who were unable to access TVCatchup during the start of the first World Cup match.

Unfortunately, we were not expecting ITV's own much-heralded streaming service to crash in its entirety. This resulted in over 25,000 persons registering on TVCatchup in the space of 15 minutes.

We will be monitoring the situation closely in future matches and in the event that ITV's streaming breaks again, we shall likely limit our intake of new members so as to not affect those existing members wishing to use our service.

Of course, we did contact ITV to offer our assistance during their outages, although weirdly, we did not receive a reply.

Mason

Where I currently work we have a translation section. In shared spaces with us. They installed a tv JUST for the World Cup. They didn't want people taking off work just to watch the World Cup so they brought it to them. Half the translation section is Spanish and with Mexico being there... I think it's awesome that they would do this.

I wish I could get excited about sports. Half the time I forget it is Super Bowel Sunday until someone mentions it at church, and much as I enjoy March Madness I just know that games are on during march. Oh well, I can change a tire, my man card is safe. :)

The World Cup is my favorite international sporting event. It's not made of up a myriad of games like in the Olympics. It's not every two years like the Olympics. It's every four years so you get a break from it and glad when it returns. Also it's a month long.

It's the same game throughout the competition. You get to know the players a little if you watch. First time I watched a World Cup was during the summer of 1990. One of the cable channels was showing two games a day if I recall correctly. I became fascinated with the Argentina team and Diego Maradona. Granted, Maradona is not the model nice guy but he's fun to watch.

They are saying on TV that it's starts at 1:30pm eastern. It was 2:30pm but now on ESPN they are saying 1:30pm. I don't know if it's 1:30pm or 2:30pm. I have ESPN on right now and they keep saying 1:30pm eastern. Even the newspaper says 2:30pm. Perhaps they changed the time.

1:30 is the pre-game show!

There's one notch.

I'm curious, at what point could I get my man card endorsed by the paragon of Manliness that is John Doe? Or does my lack of fervor for sports forever disqualify me? :)

Can you place the cistern back onto a toilet without it leaking? I thought I could until today... will have another shot at it tomorrow. I hate wet work...

I've never tried. If you want to pay my travel costs though I'd be more than happy to take a crack at it. :)

I wish I could get excited about sports. Half the time I forget it is Super Bowel Sunday until someone mentions it at church, and much as I enjoy March Madness I just know that games are on during march. Oh well, I can change a tire, my man card is safe. :)

Well that's understandable. You are also the guy that doesn't have a playlist on your profile. :P

I know how to change a tire too. Does that mean my man card is safe as well?

Soon as you ditch the excess X chromosome you're in. :P

Little known fact: Man cards are issued due to biology and revoked due to behavior.

Edited by Dravin

I'm curious, at what point could I get my man card endorsed by the paragon of Manliness that is John Doe? Or does my lack of fervor for sports forever disqualify me? :)

Can you belch your full name without stopping to take a breath between names? Do you scratch your back with a kitchen fork? Do dogs avert their eyes first, or cats instinctively leave when you enter a room? Could you hold an intelligent conversation with another man you never met before on the ballistic differences between a .44 Magnum and a .45 ACP? Have you ever accidentally super-glued any fingers together? While trying to close a wound on yourself?

If you can see yourself in 3 of the previous questions, then you are eligible to hold a man card on a trial basis until you prove yourself further.

Oh, by the way, I watched the end of the England/USA match today. (I know, there was nothing else on for some reason) Couldn't figure out why a game without a winner was really a victory and also why they arbitrarily stopped it before time officially ran out or even why the clock really didn't seem to matter. In real football (ie., American Football) the clock and time left really matter, especially when it is near the end of the game. Every second, and even fractions of them, counts in American Football. Also, I couldn't figure out why infractions don't carry any real disadvantage to the offending team.

I dont know how big this is in the USA, however in the UK this is a really big thing. Later tonight England will be playing the USA. I'm currently at work putting the South Korea VS Greece match on all the display screens around the building. I'm having to use an online live TV streaming service as our display TVs don't have aerials connected to them. I'm curious as to how much the internet will slow down in general within the next two hours. I tested this with the match last night, and I could only connect to one online TV service, all the others had toppled over due to the strain, including the main broadcaster, ITV. Lets see what happens :D

It was a big thing in our home today, with the chanting both teams from members of the family.