World cup

Mahone

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys DO know I'm pulling your chains, don't you?

To be honest, I wasn't entirely certain.

I've seen 10 yr old girls play soccer like it's a grudge match. But I've also seen grown men play it like it's a stroll through a garden. So I could see both sides of the discussion :P

You guys DO know I'm pulling your chains, don't you?

Whatever :lol: I noticed you weren't with the rest of the family tonight. Wife got you on too tight of a chain to allow you to come?

Edited by pam

I watched the last half of the New Zealand and Italy game. I had no idea that a draw can be just as important as a win. NZ is the underdog and they tied with Italy the top football team. Being a hockey person, it's a hard concept to fathom, that a tie can be like a win. :)

M.

Edited by Maureen

The French team blows up. lol.

France players refuse to train in protest at World Cup - USATODAY.com

France's World Cup team refused to train Sunday in protest of striker Nicolas Anelka's expulsion from the squad, prompted by a profanity-laced tirade against coach Raymond Domenech the day before.

The latest round of turbulence also led to the resignation of France team director Jean-Louis Valentin, who said he was fed up with the team.

"It's a scandal for the French, for the young people here. It's a scandal for the federation and the French team," Valentin said. "They don't want to train. It's unacceptable."

Before getting in a car and driving off, he added: "As for me, it's over. I'm leaving the federation. I'm sickened and disgusted."

Tensions boiled over after the team arrived at training and got off the bus to greet about 200 fans who had gathered there. Domenech, whose tactics and management skills have been questioned, stayed on the bus to talk to France captain Patrice Evra.

Meanwhile, fitness coach Robert Duverne was on the field putting down training cones. After Domenech and Evra got off the bus, Evra and Duverne started to argue. Domenech tried to intervene, but Duverne then stormed off, throwing his credentials down the field.

"Everyone in the whole world is mocking us now," winger Franck Ribery said on television hours before training even started. "I'm gutted, because we're not playing football any more."

Afterward, Domenech read a statement he said was written by the players to explain their protest:

"The French Football Federation did not at any time try to protect the group. They took a decision uniquely based on facts reported by the press. As a consequence and to show our opposition to the decision taken by officials of the federation, all the players decided not to take part in today's training session."

Evra and the players, en masse, boarded the team bus and drew the curtains.

French sports minister Roselyne Bachelot said "the indignation of the French is great" and that she had spoken to French President Nicolas Sarkozy about it.

In their first two matches at the World Cup, France drew 0-0 with Uruguay and then lost 2-0 to Mexico. France can still advance to the round of 16 with a win over host South Africa, as long as Uruguay and Mexico don't draw in the other Group A match.

Christian Teinturier, vice president of the federation, was stunned by what happened. He had objected to Domenech remaining as coach after the European Championship two years ago, when France went out at the group stage.

"I confess that I understand nothing," he said. "We're in another world here. French football is in a catastrophic situation."

For Swiss coach Ottmar Hitzfeld, France's behavior was bewildering.

"What can I say? If something like this happens, I am going to say bye. This is where our paths part," he said.

It IS a good idea!

Not necessarily. As many criticisms of English football that have come up in this thread, it still remains by far the most popular sport in the world, so we are doing something right with the way the game is run.

Goal line technology is clever, and generally is quite hard to argue with the evidence it provides, however one counter argument is that debating potential refereeing mistakes is a large part of football, and adds a lot of fun into the game. People do generally enjoy arguing.

There may be flaws in the rules which can potentially make the game unfair for everyone, but that's part of the fun.

Edited by Mahone