A Life Time Holiday / Vacation

Winnie G

Ok here is a question.

If you were told you had a year to figure out were you wanted to go on vacation were would it be?

This would be a once in a life time holiday / vacation.

My husband told me tonight that I had to give this some thought to were I wanted to go.

His retirement is fast approaching and he has always promised we would go on holiday with the extra money he will revive, one weeks pay for each year survived.

He knows I have always wanted to visit Egypt but I have to give a thought as to our health and other factors.

What I like to ask is were would you go and why and have you been there, like on missions etc……

Winnie,

If it were me, I would take many short trips to areas I have always wanted to visit...perhaps a week long cruise to the Carribeans, and flying to Hawaii for a week. And I would schedule our kids to accompany us, if possible. There are so many wonderful places to visit within our own country. I would fly to NY, San Francisco, Las Vegas, San Diego; rent a motor home and drive to Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon, etc. And I would visit our relatives in other states.

Bon voyage!

- Mrs. A

We did yellow stone when we drove to Utah to years ago, I have been there before but my hubby had not. I had so much fun watching his reaction to old faithful, just like a kid, it was so cool and made me my hart swell.

Have any of your family members done any seniors tours?

I ask this because my husband’s nerve damage makes it painful to walk for any long time.

So walking tours would be out.

He has talked about a long cruse.

Inverness and tour the highlands is a idia,He has served in Europe and traveled every were but there.

But he like to show me Venice (sp) he says.

I would like to take him some were he has not been as well.

On the way home from the human society today I told my hubby about the RV idea he jumped all over that one so I spent the afternoon searching for RV dealers and rentals.

Well to my surprise, we could buy a new pop up for the cost of renting a RV for the time it would take us to do our trip. :o

I have how ever had two phone calls in regards to my email request telling me I would receive invitations to the RV shows coming up in Jan / Feb.

In the mean time they are shipping me out broachers on there trailers.

I am wondering what’s next? :tinfoil:

On the way home from the human society today I told my hubby about the RV idea he jumped all over that one so I spent the afternoon searching for RV dealers and rentals.

Well to my surprise, we could buy a new pop up for the cost of renting a RV for the time it would take us to do our trip. :o

I have how ever had two phone calls in regards to my email request telling me I would receive invitations to the RV shows coming up in Jan / Feb.

Winnie, be very careful when you buy an RV. My son and DIL work in the rv industry. Do you know that from start to finish, from the raw frame to hanging the curtains, they can put out 17 - 23 RV's in ONE DAY? While they are nice they are quickly made and some in the industry are not very safe. The people woring on the lines get a bonus of $1 per hitch, completed rv, so it is in THEIR interest to get them built and out the door quickly.

One of my friends mother and stepfather haul rv's to dealers all over the US. One time her mother was towing a large rv and all of a sudden the sides just started blowing off all over the highway. They weren't secured "right." Used the wrong screws or whatever to secure the sides to the frame.

The units that were made for FEMA after Hurricane Katrina were slapped together so quickly some had to be returned due to the fact that the cabinents fell off the walls and the tables were on the floor when they arrived.

Just be careful. We have one of the largest manufacturing of RV's in the US here. Lots of different manufactures.

Marsha

Guest Crazy Horse

That is frightening! Especially because the retired generation seems to be joining the land yacht club. Wow, buyer beware. Can you imagine the people behind them when the sides started coming off! :o

The units that were made for FEMA after Hurricane Katrina were slapped together so quickly some had to be returned due to the fact that the cabinets fell off the walls and the tables were on the floor when they arrived.

Marsha its funny you brought that up, one of my oldest sons called from Calgary Alberta last night he works for a company that makes trailers the kind they use for construction sites they are also made for living quarters for the military. My husband was on UN peacekeeping duty in Yugoslavia years ago and they had a camp made of these trailers. Ahead to 2006, our son now works for the same company.

They just received a huge order from the FEM to make these trailers. So Canadians are making disaster shelters for the US. So much for keeping it in the USA.

Rumor has it that this is how FEM planes on using these as temp housing.

Marsha its funny you brought that up, one of my oldest sons called from Calgary Alberta last night he works for a company that makes trailers the kind they use for construction sites they are also made for living quarters for the military. My husband was on UN peacekeeping duty in Yugoslavia years ago and they had a camp made of these trailers. Ahead to 2006, our son now works for the same company.

They just received a huge order from the FEM to make these trailers. So Canadians are making disaster shelters for the US. So much for keeping it in the USA.

When you have such a large demand, you sometimes have to look to your neighbors for extra help.

Part of charity is not rubbing your neighbor's nose in it...

Let's see. Been to a few places, which would be good for vacations...

China is great. Great food, cheap prices, and everywhere you look looks like something from a travel documentary. Disadvantages? Ever see a pic of a Chinese bathroom? It's no wonder their country has great female gymnasts.

Russia is awesome! Sometimes a hassel to get visas, etc. unless you have connections or go through a tourist agency. Lots of history, nice people, and Moscow is sort of like 1920s Chicago. Cheap prices but bland food.

Venezuela is fun if you take a wildlife tour inland. Caracas is not a great place to be in -- sort of like east LA, just more violent.

Turkey is interesting, I think it is still safe -- most Muslims there are not crazy.

The Baltic nations (Sweden, Finland, Latvia and Estonia) are fascinating and most people know English better than the typical public school student of the USA. Nice people overall (Swedes are like The Borg but nice overall).

Spain? It was okay, I should have visited in the summer. Heard that if you wear a top on the beach you are overdressed.

Holland? Really interesting. Kind of has that San Francisco charm with the Oregon state plant -- you know, the one with five leaves?

Glacier Park in Canada is one of my favorites -- the Great Lake region is also nice.

<div class='quotemain'>

When you have such a large demand, you sometimes have to look to your neighbors for extra help.

Part of charity is not rubbing your neighbor's nose in it...

And EVERYONE knows we've never done a thing to help Canada! ;)

Winnie, we have a pop-up camper made by Coleman. We've had it for 5 years or so and have been very happy with it. Not to boast bc it's the brand we have, but Coleman has a reputation for being quite solid (for a pop-up). Also, you can go quite basic, or get one with AC, bathroom, shower, etc. We went with a smaller one with one king-size bed, one double bed, heater, AC... but no bathroom. If you would like more info on our pop-up experience, PM me.

I've been to Scotland and England and really enjoyed my trip, but my best vacation ever was to South Africa. My husband and I went over there one Christmas while my parents were serving in Jo-burg. So many things to do and see there, the history is fascinating, and the safaris were unreal. (You will never look at visiting animals in the zoo the same way again.

I've been to Scotland and England and really enjoyed my trip, but my best vacation ever was to South Africa. My husband and I went over there one Christmas while my parents were serving in Jo-burg. So many things to do and see there, the history is fascinating, and the safaris were unreal. (You will never look at visiting animals in the zoo the same way again.

I have heard that South Africa is a great place to visit.. it would be fun to see the wild animals that others see on a daily basis. (from a distance...) .and I am all for history in any country. I really would like to get back to Washington DC and spend a week in the museums just absorbing some of our history. Then I would really like to go to Scotland and Ireland and see some of the things I have only read about.

• 9 months later...

I'd fly to Europe and go on a cruise, and then after the cruise, if you have any money left, go back to the places where you'd like to spend a little more time, or other places you haven't seen yet.

The advantage to taking a cruise is that you stay in the same place while traveling around to different cities.

Plus you get to see and be around the ocean... and my wife is crazy about the ocean.

She's actually a mer-girl, who hasn't gotten it out of her blood yet. ;)

This has been interesting to read again. :)

When traveling abroad, how do you determine where to go there are many choices. :dontknow:

Winnie, I know you are now retiring so have you selected a destination? I am also looking to travel someone in March for my 25 year wedding anniversary. :)