Most Romantic Date

applepansy

What is your idea of a Most Romantic Date?

My 22yo daughter asked me this question this morning. I found it difficult to answer, which surprised me. What I find romantic at age 50+ is different than at 22. What I found romantic at 22 is different than when I was 35.

So.... I thought I'd ask for your help.

What is/was your Most Romantic Date?:wub:

Thanks

When my then-boyfriend, drove all over town for 2 hours trying to look for my favorite bridge. He wanted to surprise me and refused to tell me where we were going, I enjoyed the drive, the conversation, and his growing frustration when after 2 hours he still couldn't find the place! LOL!

We ended up in this smelly creek with a tiny bridge because it was already midnight and he proposed to me then. There was a drunk sleeping under the bridge who became our "witness".

Those 2 hours were the most romantic of all because the more things did not work out for my husband, the more he showed me how great he is still even under stress, and the more it became clear to me that it doesn't have to be perfect for both of us to have an amazing time.

I said YES immediately and we were married a week later.

And since then, we've driven cross-country and back together plenty of times, he drives, I navigate, and we have an amazing time! When the kids were born, they became a very welcome addition to the ride. They can ride with us for 1500 miles without asking a single time, "Are we there yet?". They enjoy the drive too.

Edited by anatess

When my then-boyfriend, drove all over town for 2 hours trying to look for my favorite bridge. He wanted to surprise me and refused to tell me where we were going, I enjoyed the drive, the conversation, and his growing frustration when after 2 hours he still couldn't find the place! LOL!

We ended up in this smelly creek with a tiny bridge because it was already midnight and he proposed to me then. There was a drunk sleeping under the bridge who became our "witness".

Those 2 hours were the most romantic of all because the more things did not work out for my husband, the more he showed me how great he is still even under stress, and the more it became clear to me that it doesn't have to be perfect for both of us to have an amazing time.

And since then, we've driven cross-country and back together plenty of times, he drives, I navigate, and we have an amazing time! When the kids were born, they became a very welcome addition to the ride. They can ride with us for 1500 miles without asking a single time, "Are we there yet?". They enjoy the drive too.

Thats too cute for me! Good for you

I never had a boyfriend. :tears: Never been on a date, either. :cry:With that said, if I had to say what I think would be a romantic date... wow... I guess making dinner together and having a candle lit dinner, then watching some stupid old movie together and laughing at all the stupidity of it all. But then again, I'm VERY old fashioned, my favorite show is "I Dream of Jeannie"...

I love it!! :)

Well this was years and years ago but a boyfriend I had at the time asked me if I would go with him to return a U-haul truck. It was in the evening and was already dark. He had been helping a friend move that day.

He ended up taking a slight detour up onto a hill that overlooked San Diego that had an awesome view. He had me sit in the cab of the truck and said he had to check on something in the back.

Next thing I knew, he had a table with chairs, table cloth, candle set up outside for a candle light dinner while we enjoyed the view. Dinner was KFC but hey it was the thought that counted and I thought it was romantic.

My idea of a romantic date is different than what it was before, because I am currently married. However, I was married at 22, so my idea of a romantic date was very similar to what it would be now.

Going out to eat or eating a home cooked meal with my hubby, possibly going on a walk or to a movie or just spending time hanging out, and then a night spent together.

Before marriage though I had a few really fun ones that he took me on. Once in the middle of winter he asked me to dress in a nice church dress. He told me to dress warmly though, so I wore a dress and my long johns. He then took me and another couple out to a local park where we had breakfast cereal by candlelight amidst a snow covered park. It was cute and fun and sort of romantic.

Interesting - I am married now but I still like to date - but now that I am married I only date my wife daughters and granddaughters. I have guy trips with my sons and grandsons but that is different.

I learned not to make dating romantic. A seminary teacher suggested to my class that before every date that we have a private prayer and inform the L-rd honestly and truthfully our intensions and plans for our date. Then at the end of the date we report in and tell our L-rd what we did.

Following this pattern changed my concept of dating. Dating for me is to have a good time and enjoy a fun or enjoyable activity. I have found that the more I make an effort to engage my wife in activities that she enjoys the better the possibility that I will have a good time doing it. It seems to me that whenever romance is the goal it does not really work out but when making an effort to make an evening enjoyable and fun for my wife – romance has a way of becoming a part of the rest of it.

The Traveler

Interesting - I am married now but I still like to date - but now that I am married I only date my wife daughters and granddaughters. I have guy trips with my sons and grandsons but that is different.

I learned not to make dating romantic. A seminary teacher suggested to my class that before every date that we have a private prayer and inform the L-rd honestly and truthfully our intensions and plans for our date. Then at the end of the date we report in and tell our L-rd what we did.

Following this pattern changed my concept of dating. Dating for me is to have a good time and enjoy a fun or enjoyable activity. I have found that the more I make an effort to engage my wife in activities that she enjoys the better the possibility that I will have a good time doing it. It seems to me that whenever romance is the goal it does not really work out but when making an effort to make an evening enjoyable and fun for my wife – romance has a way of becoming a part of the rest of it.

The Traveler

Traveler, You had a smart seminary teacher. I wish more kids would make prayer a part of dating. I wish my husband and I had thought to make prayer part of our dating.

I found out my daughter asked me, because her boyfriend asked her. Its highly likely that he will ask her to marry him. He told her he'll be asking her father first. :D (Smart boy!) I think he wants to know what she thinks is romantic so he'll know what to do when he asks her to marry him.

My view is whatever he does will be romantic because of the circumstances and intent. :D

Ah, well if it is a romantic proposal that is a different matter completely! The way my husband proposed to me was quite in depth and is a story we often tell people. However, each person is different and a romantic proposal for one person might not be as romantic for another. I would have to say that my husband's proposal was not so much romantic rather it was a lot of fun and a big surprise.

Okay I thought the forum might enjoy hearing about my most unsuccessful date - ever. I met a girl at college that was always complaining how un-imagining her dates at BYU were. She was always complaining about how BYU guys were all alike and how boring dating was. I decided to change forever her complaining about boring dates. I set up a plan with some friends I had that worked at the BYU and church film studios.

I had a sports car – TR3 that was previously modified for racing. At the time (70’s) spy movies was the rage. I had planned the typical appearing boring date. She was starting to treat me rudely which made my plan even more exciting for me and I really thought she would find my plan fun. I had wired a tape recorder into my radio speaker with a pre rehearsed and planed recording. Near the end of our date as we were driving to get some ice cream – I reached under my seat and started the recorder.

It started off with something like, “agent 53 report in”. A planned and pretend discussion ensued and ended with me speeding off to a remote area of town where my friends were waiting and engaged in a mock gun fight with prop guns. As we came to a stop I reached under the seat and handed her a prop gun and kept one for myself and jumped out of the car. A short distance away a friend fired 3 blank shots and I grabbed my chest setting off 3 fake prop gunshot bleeding wounds. I turned to my date and told her to run and acted like I was dying. She completely lost it and began to cry and scream begging my friends not to kill her. She was so out of control I came back to life and told her it was all a gage and that it was all so she could have a non boring date. She would not speak to me and had one of my friends take her home – she never spoke to me again. I guess you could say my plan backfired.

The Traveler

Okay I thought the forum might enjoy hearing about my most unsuccessful date - ever. I met a girl at college that was always complaining how un-imagining her dates at BYU were. She was always complaining about how BYU guys were all alike and how boring dating was. I decided to change forever her complaining about boring dates. I set up a plan with some friends I had that worked at the BYU and church film studios.

I had a sports car – TR3 that was previously modified for racing. At the time (70’s) spy movies was the rage. I had planned the typical appearing boring date. She was starting to treat me rudely which made my plan even more exciting for me and I really thought she would find my plan fun. I had wired a tape recorder into my radio speaker with a pre rehearsed and planed recording. Near the end of our date as we were driving to get some ice cream – I reached under my seat and started the recorder.

It started off with something like, “agent 53 report in”. A planned and pretend discussion ensued and ended with me speeding off to a remote area of town where my friends were waiting and engaged in a mock gun fight with prop guns. As we came to a stop I reached under the seat and handed her a prop gun and kept one for myself and jumped out of the car. A short distance away a friend fired 3 blank shots and I grabbed my chest setting off 3 fake prop gunshot bleeding wounds. I turned to my date and told her to run and acted like I was dying. She completely lost it and began to cry and scream begging my friends not to kill her. She was so out of control I came back to life and told her it was all a gage and that it was all so she could have a non boring date. She would not speak to me and had one of my friends take her home – she never spoke to me again. I guess you could say my plan backfired.

The Traveler

LOL At least she wasn't bored.

Guest Alana

Last anniversary my husband took me for a drive and I had no idea where we were going. It was a gorgeous drive and we talked and laughed on the way there. The destination was a look out point that was just gorgeous. He had some sparkling cider in the car and a meal from our favorite restaurant. We just sat at a picnic bench and talked and ate:)