What takes more effort?

Boris_natasha

I think it is a little more complicated than you suggest. It takes more personal energy to do good than to do nothing or evil.

But for those who do good, God reenergizes them. They are renewed by the Holy Spirit. In magnifying priesthood and callings, we "are sanctified by the Spirit unto the renewing of their bodies" (D&C 84:33).

So, we do exert more energy of our own in serving others. But God reinvigorates us. Just look at the energy level of the prophets and apostles. They are men in their 70s, 80s, even 90s! Yet they still travel around the world, bearing witness of the Christ.

Do you think it takes more energy (physically, emotionally, spiritually) for a person to do something they may or may not know is wrong, than to do something good (done voluntarilly or involuntarilly)?

an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure...

In the short term doing something good might be more energy intensive, but I'd wager that it's more effecient in the long run.

I would imagine that it would take more effort and energy to do the wrong thing, because when you are not lead by God, the road you have taken is lead by self-will and not by God's will. Therefore, it would be the path that would wear you out more. When you do good, your efforts are guided by the Lord and the Holy Spirit. So, you have chosen a smoother path.

I think it is a little more complicated than you suggest. It takes more personal energy to do good than to do nothing or evil. But for those who do good, God reenergizes them. They are renewed by the Holy Spirit. In magnifying priesthood and callings, we "are sanctified by the Spirit unto the renewing of their bodies" (D&C 84:33). So, we do exert more energy of our own in serving others. But God reinvigorates us. Just look at the energy level of the prophets and apostles. They are men in their 70s, 80s, even 90s! Yet they still travel around the world, bearing witness of the Christ.

I think a lot of the energy is not of our own making. It's the energy of the Holy Spirit that makes it possible for us to do the good deeds that our human weaknesses would seem to make impossible. Granted, people often think the efforts were entirely human.

Whose road was more difficult: Jesus' or the Pharisees? I'd wager that in the short run, Jesus had the infinitely tougher path. But in the eternities, his is the better one.

Jesus chose to take upon himself the sins of others. They were not his own sins. But he chose a path of temporal suffering, so that all others might obtain eternal salvation. I would venture to think that because he had a love for humanity that was purer than anything we could imagine, this choice was easy for him. He was perfect.

Do you think it takes more energy (physically, emotionally, spiritually) for a person to do something they may or may not know is wrong, than to do something good (done voluntarilly or involuntarilly)?

I've studied religion once without the prism of a Divine being. This was in one of my college religious education classes (Catholic). I took the Beatitudes, for example, and analyzed it for worldly benefits without including the post-mortal benefits.

What I found was that human nature and psychology is aligned in such a way that if you are meek, poor in spirit, merciful, peacemakers, etc. etc. you do obtain lasting satisfaction whereas the opposites of them only satisfies for a time and then it invites misery.

For example, and you hear this all the time too even in this forum alone, you hear a lot of young people say, I am depressed, I can't seem to function, I am not happy, I am mad at the world, I need to find myself, etc. etc. You study this conundrum and you can see that if you are meek - stop thinking of the I's and start thinking of others - this depression can actually be helped! For example, studies have shown that elderly people are happier if they have a dog. That is because, they stop thinking of themselves and their situation and start thinking of another - the dog. And being of service to someone - even a dog - and feeling needed gives one great lasting satisfaction. Whereas, if you just think of "I'm depressed, I need to go party!" - it only satisfies for a time and then you end up in more misery afterwards when the party is over.

But, definitely, going partying is the easy route. It takes a lot less physical, mental, spiritual energy. Doing charity is much harder and requires lots of patience.

Charitable work is not so hard when it is done with the right frame of mind. And also, pets are a healthy stress reliever because of the love and joy they bring. Plus, give youth a break. I know adults who haven't "found themselves" either. Definitely their hard road.

Edited by Boris_natasha
Removing quote

Would it take more energy to drink an ice cold Samuel Adams along with a pizza than cut my neighbor's lawn?