What do you make other families for dinner when needed?

crazypotato

I understand, Pam. I once listened to my friend go on and on about how gross the food was that people brought her after her baby. Hence, my paranoia. She wasn't complaining about anything I did, but it made me feel bad for all the people that had tried and she was not grateful.

Wingnut, I am sorry no one brought you dinner. That is depressing.

In case anyone wants to know, I made tacos for one family and I am saving the recipes and other food suggestions. They were all good ideas. I guess you can't please everyone, especially little kids, and it's the thought that counts.

It is hard to come up with an idea that might please people of all ages. I have had a lot of people bring in pizza and bagged salads. While I'm not a fan of pizza it really was more about feeding my kids than feeding me. Only time I was upset was when I was told that dinner was coming in so I didn't plan anything, and they didn't show up until 10:30 at night.

My family and I moved from one apartment to another some years ago. The RS President was my best friend at that time and she arranged dinner for us for a whole MONTH. No kidding. I was grateful of course! But then as the days were passing, it just did not feel "fair" knowing there were probably MANY people in our ward who stood in NEED of those meals (and we did not have the need!). I shared my feelings with her but she didn't want to stop. I also felt bad because other families moved in and out and they were not given the same act of service and they truly needed it and I feel that being her best friend was actually the major factor about arranging those meals. Not sure if I am expressing myself properly, I am not complaining but didn't feel entirely good about it.

No you are making sense. I think I would have felt that after just a couple of days (you need time to find all your pots and pans etc.) that it would have been a bit overkill.

Oh I did! NONE of them accepted! :eek:

Then I wouldn't have answered the door or even been home when they came over...lol. Or maybe talked to the bishop about the excess, since a conversation with the RS president obviously wasn't helping. It's just an abuse of resources to go on for that long, when someone isn't bedridden.

Then I wouldn't have answered the door or even been home when they came over...lol. Or maybe talked to the bishop about the excess, since a conversation with the RS president obviously wasn't helping. It's just an abuse of resources to go on for that long, when someone isn't bedridden.

Yup, you are right. What hubby did (besides thinking it's ridiculous) is call my friend on the phone, thank her for her help but asked to please stop and give the meals to someone in need in the ward. So in the last 2 weeks, she did that.

That experience made me realize that even when giving service, we can overkill.

Guest mirancs8

This is what I always make when I have to take a meal to someone or if the missionaries are coming over for dinner. My mother made this up by herself when she first got married and passed it down to me. It easy and everyone seems to like it. It's kid friendly too!

Chicken & Macaroni Casserole

1 whole (small) chicken deboned and shredded

(you can purchase a chicken already cooked saves time)

1 small onion

1 bay leaf

1 pound curly macaroni

salt & black peper

2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Either buy an already cooked chicken at the market or boil a small chicken till cooked with 1 small onion, salt & pepper, and 1 bay leaf. Debone and shred the chicken.

Boil the curly macaroni. Wash and strain.

Make the white sauce

1 1/2 tbs butter

7 cups chicken broth (you want it boiling hot)

3 heaping tbsp of flour

1 can sliced mushrooms

Put the butter in a pan and melt. Add the flour and mix in the butter for a few minutes. Using a whisk will help it to not get lumpy. Start to add the chicken broth while whisking to thicken the sauce. Cook until it thickens. Add salt to taste. Add mushrooms to sauce. Let sauce cook for 5 minutes then add the curly macaroni 1/2 cup shredding mozzarella cheese, and the shredded chicken. Mix well and add to the casserole pan. Put the remaining shredding mozzarella cheese on top and bake in the oven at 350 until golden brown on top.

It is very yummy!!! You can even make it in advance and they can put it in their oven to cook it.

For diabetics, just make sure you use whole grain items rather than white flour items, and don't include a super-sugary dessert. My husband is diabetic, and we eat pretty darn normally, if plain wholesome food is "normal". He doesn't eat anything special, kwim?

Food allergies/food restrictions are numerous among my daughter's classmates. By searching online, I found snack recipes to fulfill the no nuts no egg no food color requirements. I imagine that the same would be true of gluten-free.

There's nothing you can do about pickiness! I just try to include at least one item most kids like: noodles, applesauce, fruit, etc, and just make the rest of the meal to my convenience.

May you be richly blessed for your willingness to help, and for your concern for the recipients of your service. :)

Golly, I didn't answer the question really.

What I make:

The Casserole

Boil Ziti pasta to al dente

Nuke or steam some veggies: I use the frozen California Blend (carrots, broccoli and cauliflower)

Cut up some cooked ham or chicken

Make the sauce: melt 3 tablespoons butter in a saucepan, stir in 3 tablespoons flour. Whisk it while you stir in 2 cups chicken broth. Grate cheeses of your choice (I use whatever is on hand, often mixing American and Swiss) and melt them into the sauce, using 4 to 6 sandwich-sized slices.

Mix all ingredients into a casserole dish, and bake until heated through. I usually top it with seasoned bread crumbs mixed with a little Parmesan cheese.

Other times I'll make linguine with jarred alfredo sauce, with hunks of ham in it, a salad, and some cut up melon or other fruit.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Alana

When I was brought meals, I even liked the ones that seemed weird or not to my taste because it was fun to eat what other people ate. If all else fails, I can have a bowl of cereal. The hardest part for me was when people would bring the food over late. We eat early, no later than 6. So, when asked if I had any food restrictions I just asked for nothing too spicy and for it to be early as possible, that I had no problem re-heating food.

One thing that most of the posts have said, was that they didn’t like what people made for them for some special occasion. One simple solution would be to ask what to buy. As mightyNancy said, there are allergy and other food restrictions that need to be considered, so the next best thing to making food, or buying pre-made food, is to buy gift cards to a nice restaurant, or to a supermarket, that way they will only buy food that they like.

One thing that most of the posts have said, was that they didn’t like what people made for them for some special occasion. One simple solution would be to ask what to buy. As mightyNancy said, there are allergy and other food restrictions that need to be considered, so the next best thing to making food, or buying pre-made food, is to buy gift cards to a nice restaurant, or to a supermarket, that way they will only buy food that they like.

Yes, but the point is that usually when bringing a meal in, it's because mom just had a baby and isn't really entirely mobile yet. Going shopping and then preparing her own food is counterproductive, and no one wants to go to a restaurant with a two-day-old baby.

I was about to reply and say the exact same thing Wingers and then noticed you had said it all. But I totally agree. It defeats the purpose and the reason for having meals brought in.

Not just having a baby, I've had meals brought in after shoulder surgery and a hysterectomy. Last thing I would want to do is take a gift card to go shopping and then prepare a meal or go sit in a restaurant. I want to lay around and take it easy like I'm supposed to after a major surgery.

Plus I have always asked the families before bringing in food if there are food restrictions or allergies and have planned accordingly.

• 1 month later...