What do you make other families for dinner when needed?

crazypotato

Hi Ladies,

I hate making meals for other families, like women in the ward who have just had a baby or someone who just had surgery.

I am happy to help them, but I have complete paranoia over making meals because I don't cook that well and I worry that the family who gets a meal from me will be really disappointed and grossed out or something.

I need to make meals for 2 people and thank 3 more families for mowing our yard with a treat or something.

And what do you have on hand in your house for those last minute phone calls to make someone dinner so that I don't have to rush to the store in a panic?

Thanks.

I'm with Hemi. If it is that stressful to you then purchase a family size lasagne and don't worry about it.

I just made a casserole that I really liked and it was super simple. I substituted some things--banana peppers instead of green peppers, left out pimentos. Here's the recipe (remember, it's just a basic one, so use whatever you have at home):

The Pioneer Woman Cooks - Ree Drummond

Oh, another thing I make that is easy is Sloppy Joe's. Make it, put it in a Glad container (so they don't have to return it), grab some buns and chips. If they have kids, then I'll grab some hotdogs to feed them.

I've also been known to stop at KFC and get a family meal. Sometimes, they have some great deals and so it's pretty cheap to feed a family.

I have a great turkey casserole recipe that freezes well. I make extra and keep one in the freezer in an aluminum foil pan. Dated of course. :)

That's a good idea for some people, like people with kids over the age of 7 or something. I guess part of my paranoia comes because my kids are so picky that I assume other people have really picky kids, too. My kids hate foods that are mixed, for the most part. My husband won't eat a lot of things, either.

I would be happy with whatever someone brought me, but I have heard other ladies complain about gross meals they have received (I know, that is horrible manners), but still, I feel like I am not really helping out a family if their kids won't eat the dinner that I made.

Also, I have people with these unique diets in my ward. Like gluten-free family stresses me out. Also my dear friend had a baby and almost died from complications, but she is so particular about her food. She only eats foods that have a certain alkaline level in it or something. Like the acid alkaline diet or something like that. Then another friend who just had a baby has diabetes. These people, I just want to say, stress me out the most, but so do the regular famlies.

Edited by crazypotato

Eh, don't worry about the kids. Seriously. My theory is they are so picky that ma/pa will have something on hand for them. Easy things--hot dogs, PB&J, chicken nuggets, etc. You make something that is relatively safe (i.e. nothing spicy or too weird) and the kids will either eat it or bologna sandwich that mom can throw together in 2 seconds.

I have two baked mac & cheese recipes that are easy and always great hits. They're basic enough for those with young kids, but mature enough for grown-ups, too.

Heaven-Sent Macaroni & Cheese (I use smoked Gruyere instead of plain Gruyere, and it's absolutely fabulous.)

Tuscan Macaroni & Cheese Bake (I use just a small 4 oz. can of sliced olives -- drained -- instead of a whole cup.)

I would prefer you cook me a groovy sirloin steak, cooked medium, with mashed potatoes and gravy or a baked potato, butter only on it. A nice dinner salad, skip the onions, topped with blue cheese dressing, and the meal is complete. If you can't whip that up in a reasonable amount of time or are nervous about your cooking, find your nearest Texas Roadhouse and they can do it for you. I generally eat around 7pm, but anytime before 9 is okay.

Edited by john doe

I would prefer you cook me a groovy sirloin steak, cooked medium, with mashed potatoes and gravy or a baked potato, butter only on it. A nice dinner salad, skip the onions, topped with blue cheese dressing, and the meal is complete. If you can't whip that up in a reasonable amount of time or are nervous about your cooking, find your nearest Texas Roadhouse and they can do it for you. I generally eat around 7pm, but anytime before 9 is okay.

Well, that sure sounds tasty. I can do the baked potato and the salad. The steak is another story. . .

I'll be over by 7:00. Make sure you are there and wait if I am a little late.

Guest Alana

Take and Bake pizza from Papa Murphys. That way it's guaranteed to be hot... I can drop it off earlier in the day if that works, and it's yummy. I've also made green chicken enchiladas and rice. They are pretty simple. Just use canned green enchilada sauce, tortillas, already cooked/shredded chicken and cheese. I don't worry too much about sides. Sometimes I'll bring it uncooked (well unmelted) and drop it off early, and tell them to stick it in for 30 minutes at 350. If they have kids that are picky, don't worry about it, mine are, and if they don't' like what we're having they can go eat some bread and an apple.

It really doesnt matter what u make, its the thought behind it and if the family complains, or starts rumors about it. well, thats there issue not yours. the meal doesnt have to be fancy, it can be simple and easy. YOu can make it, or you can buy it already made for you.

Ugh, I hate it when people give bagged salads. Bleck!

Well you can't be choosy when someone is just trying to help. I certainly wouldn't say "Ugh I hate when people do this" when dinner is brought in. I know how busy people can be and to take the time to make an effort at all is good for me.

No but I was a bit bothered when I posted what I would take in and you responded by stating you hate bagged salad. Look at it from my side. See how I could take that? It's kind of putting down my comment. Never mind.

No but I was a bit bothered when I posted what I would take in and you responded by stating you hate bagged salad. Look at it from my side. See how I could take that? It's kind of putting down my comment. Never mind.

I understand, Pam. I once listened to my friend go on and on about how gross the food was that people brought her after her baby. Hence, my paranoia. She wasn't complaining about anything I did, but it made me feel bad for all the people that had tried and she was not grateful.

Wingnut, I am sorry no one brought you dinner. That is depressing.

In case anyone wants to know, I made tacos for one family and I am saving the recipes and other food suggestions. They were all good ideas. I guess you can't please everyone, especially little kids, and it's the thought that counts.

Wingnut, I am sorry no one brought you dinner. That is depressing.

It was offered, but my mom was visiting and she's perfectly capable of cooking that first week. After she went home, one friend did bring me dinner a couple weeks later. In her case, it wasn't because she "signed up" to do it, but rather because I'd brought her dinner the day she got home from the hospital with her son two and a half months earlier, and she wanted to repay the favor. But not having dinner brought in was my choice. Actually, it may stem from my being a good cook and not wanting to depend on what others bring and risk that I won't like it. Prideful? Probably.

Pam, I'm sorry I insulted you. It wasn't my intention.