When is the best time to convert?

Addz25

Well, in short I'm 15 years old and strongly considering converting at some point in my life. I know I still have a lot of learning ahead of me before I can make a valid decision, but I'm reading the BoM and I really like it, and the teachings and views of the church. At this point though, I'm really confused about when I should convert. My family is catholic (not devoutly) and my personal feeling is that being a LDS in a non-LDS family (or rather, growing up in one) would be pretty difficult. I know many are going to say "now is the best time", but I don't really know if that's the best choice logically.... Hope I'm making sense here haha

Well for one thing your parents would have to give permission for you to be baptized. If that is not a possibility, you might have to wait until you are 18.

Well for one thing your parents would have to give permission for you to be baptized. If that is not a possibility, you might have to wait until you are 18.

Well my parents have always been really supportive of my sisters and I, and of this I have very little doubts. If anything, my parents would probably be happy for me to hear that I'd be converting (or at least hopefully!)

Well my parents have always been really supportive of my sisters and I, and of this I have very little doubts. If anything, my parents would probably be happy for me to hear that I'd be converting (or at least hopefully!)

If you say your parents would probably be happy for you, then I would suggest talking with them and seeing how they feel. If you feel that joining the church is the right choice for you, then... really, there is no better time to do it than "now." If they're going to be happy for you and allow you to join the church, then chances are it won't be as hard living in a non-lds home while being a member than you think.

I joined the church at 19 and was still living with my mom before my husband and I got sealed in the temple a year later; she wasn't the most understanding in the beginning, but with the missionaries around, she was able to ask questions and come to an understanding that my being in the church wasn't going to hurt me or anyone else, but rather benefit my life and hopefully those around me. Not saying we didn't have our ups and downs ... there were times when she simply told me I couldn't go to church while I was living under her roof, but she warmed up to the church and even came to the temple while I was being sealed. That's pretty impressive. People can surprise you; you just need to let them know how you're feeling to see where to go from here!

Best of luck to you. :)

Don't you all think that before someone converts to LDS they should spend at least 30 or so years in the Assemblies of God...just so they have a foundation by which to compare??? :::smile:::

I suppose that would put them in a better position to convert Assemblies of God membership later. :P

Edited by Dravin

One possible outcome...;)

Hahah.;)

Actually, this sort of thread is always a little uncomfortable because I know that there's a perception of 'poaching' among certain churches and the LDS church is seen as an example of 'religious poachers'. (Not my words. These are actual words I've heard in reference to it).

I think that has a lot to do with certain animosity shown.

To the OP: If you believe in the church, then you've already converted. You just haven't been baptized, yet. It's important that we stand up for what we believe in. However; as an intellectual exercise, here is what you will miss out on if you get baptized now.

Drinking.

Pre-marital sex.

However, if you choose not to be baptized, you will miss out on a Mission. You'll miss out on friendships, since many close friends are made in the youth program. You'll miss out on the opportunity to grow and learn.

If you believe in the church, the only real answer is that you should do your best now. Not because it's easy, or because of benefits, but because you truly believe. If you believe something, you must act upon it. If you delay for gratification now, you will be teaching yourself lessons that can't be unlearned. You will find your difficulties greater and your reserves of strength less.

You deserve better than that.

IMHO poaching (we call it 'sheep stealing') is when Baptists recruit members from Methodists. When a person converts from one church to another due to signficant differences, that's legitimate. If a pentecostal believes Joseph Smith restored the church then s/he must join it. If a Catholic comes to believe that Mary should not be venerated so much, and that prayers should be made to God directly, not through saints (petitions) or priests (confessions), then they should find a good Protestant church. If a Baptist gets baptized in the Holy Spirit and starts praying in tongues, they'd best join a pentecostal church.

Don't you all think that before someone converts to LDS they should spend at least 30 or so years in the Assemblies of God...just so they have a foundation by which to compare??? :::smile:::

PC...how many are you in for so far? I'm trying to schedule when to have a couple of nice young men in white shirts and ties to come visit you.:lol::lol::lol:

The biggest thing you miss out on by waiting, especially if you have the support of your parents, is the Gift of the Holy Ghost. You've already felt the influence of the Holy Ghost or you wouldn't be considering baptism. The Gift of the Holy Ghost is what you need to continue to progress spiritually.