Giving notice

Wingnut

I'm curious to know how others might act in or view my current situation. I apologize in advance for the long-windedness of this post.

I have a part-time job that I have been at since October 2008. When someone applies for a job at my institution, part of the hiring process is often proficiency exams -- Word, Excel, typing speed, etc. I administer those exams and pass the results on to HR and the hiring managers. Because I am a stay at home mom, I have very limited hours. My availability is Monday and Wednesday evenings, and the second and fourth Saturday mornings of each month. If no one is scheduled for testing, I don't go to work. On Mondays and Wednesdays, they cannot schedule anyone for me after 12:00pm, unless there's already someone on the schedule. I asked for the cutoff so that I could make tentative evening plans. For Saturdays, the cutoff is 5:00pm on Friday. I live (and work) on the east side of town; there is another testing center -- with daily daytime hours -- on the west side for those that would prefer it.

For the last nine or ten months, my schedule has been very sporadic. I've worked once or twice a month. Currently, I have not had a shift booked since May 8th. Still, I've continued to be available Mondays, Wednesdays, and every other Saturday, planning my extra-curriculars around the idea that I might have to work that evening. I have dutifully entered "0" hours on all my available dates on timesheets and submitted them for approval, despite not actually having any real need to do so.

Recently, there's been an issue with my timesheets (which I'll refer to as 1, 2, and 3). Each pay period is two weeks long, Monday through Sunday. During pay period #1 (which started about 5 weeks ago), I started filling in my dates, but forgot to finish and submit before the deadline, as I was out of town visiting family. Since I didn't have any real hours to record, it's not a huge deal. Timesheet 1 sits open and unfinished on the website. Timesheet 2 became available at the beginning of its pay period, June 28. Instead of listing out each individual day, it listed only June 28, 29, and 30, nothing else. A few days before the end of that pay period (about 10 days ago), I emailed my supervisor and asked her if she knew if there was a problem with the system or if my employment status has changed. She replied that as of July 1, I would now be reporting to HR, so to contact my scheduler there. I did -- last Tuesday. I have not heard anything back. Timesheet 2 sits open and unfinished on the website. It is now into pay period 3, for which there is no timesheet for me available.

I was planning on submitting my notice at the end of the Summer anyway, because I hate the job (when I'm actually there), but even more, I hate the strings that come with it, especially when it doesn't pan out into anything fruitful.

Initially, I was hoping to have the timesheet issue fixed. Now, I'm thinking it might be easier (and more satisfying) to just submit my notice this week, effective immediately. That way, no one has to fix this whole problem, just so that I can work one more shift (if that) and then quit anyway.

So in summary, here's the issues:

• My evenings and social life revolve around the possibility that I might have to work.
  • I haven't worked a shift since May 8th
  • Even if I were to be scheduled to work this week, there would be no way to record my time.
  • There is another testing center that can be and is used, so I'm not leaving the institution completely high and dry
Is it inappropriate for me to submit my notice, effective immediately?

I'm curious to know how others might act in or view my current situation. I apologize in advance for the long-windedness of this post.

I have a part-time job that I have been at since October 2008. When someone applies for a job at my institution, part of the hiring process is often proficiency exams -- Word, Excel, typing speed, etc. I administer those exams and pass the results on to HR and the hiring managers. Because I am a stay at home mom, I have very limited hours. My availability is Monday and Wednesday evenings, and the second and fourth Saturday mornings of each month. If no one is scheduled for testing, I don't go to work. On Mondays and Wednesdays, they cannot schedule anyone for me after 12:00pm, unless there's already someone on the schedule. I asked for the cutoff so that I could make tentative evening plans. For Saturdays, the cutoff is 5:00pm on Friday. I live (and work) on the east side of town; there is another testing center -- with daily daytime hours -- on the west side for those that would prefer it.

For the last nine or ten months, my schedule has been very sporadic. I've worked once or twice a month. Currently, I have not had a shift booked since May 8th. Still, I've continued to be available Mondays, Wednesdays, and every other Saturday, planning my extra-curriculars around the idea that I might have to work that evening. I have dutifully entered "0" hours on all my available dates on timesheets and submitted them for approval, despite not actually having any real need to do so.

Recently, there's been an issue with my timesheets (which I'll refer to as 1, 2, and 3). Each pay period is two weeks long, Monday through Sunday. During pay period #1 (which started about 5 weeks ago), I started filling in my dates, but forgot to finish and submit before the deadline, as I was out of town visiting family. Since I didn't have any real hours to record, it's not a huge deal. Timesheet 1 sits open and unfinished on the website. Timesheet 2 became available at the beginning of its pay period, June 28. Instead of listing out each individual day, it listed only June 28, 29, and 30, nothing else. A few days before the end of that pay period (about 10 days ago), I emailed my supervisor and asked her if she knew if there was a problem with the system or if my employment status has changed. She replied that as of July 1, I would now be reporting to HR, so to contact my scheduler there. I did -- last Tuesday. I have not heard anything back. Timesheet 2 sits open and unfinished on the website. It is now into pay period 3, for which there is no timesheet for me available.

I was planning on submitting my notice at the end of the Summer anyway, because I hate the job (when I'm actually there), but even more, I hate the strings that come with it, especially when it doesn't pan out into anything fruitful.

Initially, I was hoping to have the timesheet issue fixed. Now, I'm thinking it might be easier (and more satisfying) to just submit my notice this week, effective immediately. That way, no one has to fix this whole problem, just so that I can work one more shift (if that) and then quit anyway.

So in summary, here's the issues:

• My evenings and social life revolve around the possibility that I might have to work.
  • I haven't worked a shift since May 8th
  • Even if I were to be scheduled to work this week, there would be no way to record my time.
  • There is another testing center that can be and is used, so I'm not leaving the institution completely high and dry
Is it inappropriate for me to submit my notice, effective immediately?

Effective immediately is not a good idea, in my opinion. 2 weeks notice - regardless of the circumstance (except when extreme conditions exist) - is always the accepted way.

In your 2-week notice, mention that you don't have timesheets open for days x-x (within your 2 week notice) and that you don't have a way to enter the time.

Keep a copy of the notice with you and go through 2 more weeks of scheduling personal stuff around your "work availability". After 2 weeks, you're free without having to worry if you should include that experience in your next resume because you burnt your bridges, etc.

Good luck.

After 2 weeks, you're free without having to worry if you should include that experience in your next resume because you burnt your bridges, etc.

I will be launching my own photography business next year. If I ever have to put together a resume that includes past work history, it won't be for at least 15 more years.

Admittedly I skimmed, but talk to someone in HR if they really need 2 weeks notice. I quit a job without notice but it wasn't exactly planned. I wasn't being scheduled hardly anything because he had too many employees (he was planning on business picking up at any time) so I was only working something like 4 hours a week. When I went to give him notice he asked if I was giving my two weeks notice and I just straight up asked him, "Do you need me to?" He said no and that was my last day. Of course I knew in that situation he wouldn't be trying to replace me so it's probably different than yours.

I know it was part-time so my question may be moot, but if they lay you off, don't provide you with hours or fire you, are you able to draw unemployment?

Give a 2 week notice. It's the nice thing to do.

I doubt I'd be able to. I was earning $12/hour for around 10 hours a month, but again, nothing since May 8th.

Admittedly I skimmed, but talk to someone in HR if they really need 2 weeks notice. I quit a job without notice but it wasn't exactly planned. I wasn't being scheduled hardly anything because he had too many employees (he was planning on business picking up at any time) so I was only working something like 4 hours a week. When I went to give him notice he asked if I was giving my two weeks notice and I just straight up asked him, "Do you need me to?" He said no and that was my last day. Of course I knew in that situation he wouldn't be trying to replace me so it's probably different than yours.

I've considered this. Knowing the organization as I do, it would take them close to two weeks just to get the position posted online, so even if I gave two weeks notice, I wouldn't be training a new person before I left. Like I said, too, they haven't missed me since May 8th.

I know someone is probably going to say, "It seems like you've got your mind made up already; what are you asking us for?" To some extent that's true, but I would still like people's feedback.

This is frustrating. After reading the responses, I'd decided that I would submit my notice today, effective Friday of next week. But, I was going to add that I wouldn't work any shifts between now and then unless there was a way for me to record those hours, which currently there isn't.

Here's the (new) problem. I used to report to "Suzie." When I emailed Suzie about the timesheet issues, she told me to contact "Lori" in HR, because as of July 1, I was reporting to HR, and Lori would know who I would need to talk to. I never heard back from Lori on the issues, so yesterday I emailed Lori to ask who my direct supervisor was. She said it was Suzie. I forwarded the response to Suzie, asking her for clarification, and if there was any way that she could find out for me who it actually is. I haven't heard back from her, and I know she was in today because she always has an out-of-office alert when she's gone. So now I'm ready to submit my notice with an appropriate time frame, but I can't even do that because I don't know who I should submit it to!

I would be scheduling an interview with the PTB (powers that be) to find out why you've had no hours.

Why?

Because you want to know what they might say about you when a prospective employer calls. It is frowned upon to just dump a job and not give notice and yet, if you get no hours you can explain that to anyone you interview with. It is summer time and enrollment is down so maybe you just haven't been needed.

As a former HR director, I found it extremely frustrating when people quit without notice. However, like you said you haven't had hours since May. Just keep in mind that you OUGHT to know why you haven't been getting them.

Don't leave that job until you have another one secured FIRST. Seriously.

I'm not getting a new job.

I would be scheduling an interview with the PTB (powers that be) to find out why you've had no hours.

Why?

Because you want to know what they might say about you when a prospective employer calls. It is frowned upon to just dump a job and not give notice and yet, if you get no hours you can explain that to anyone you interview with. It is summer time and enrollment is down so maybe you just haven't been needed.

As a former HR director, I found it extremely frustrating when people quit without notice. However, like you said you haven't had hours since May. Just keep in mind that you OUGHT to know why you haven't been getting them.

It's not enrollment that I participate in. It's new hires. So when they aren't hiring, they don't need me. People aren't quitting, so there aren't any job openings. It's pretty easy.

Send it to both. Then you have your bases covered.

This is what I ended up doing. I submitted my notice yesterday. I sent an email to both "Suzie" and "Lori" that said:

As I don't know who my direct supervisor is currently, and as I keep getting conflicting answers on that, I am sending this to both of you.

I will be terminating my employment with (name of organization) effective Friday, August 6, 2010. I am happy to work any of my regular shifts between now and then, however, there could be a problem with that. I do not currently have a timesheet open on (timesheet software website), and have not since June 30th. I am hesitant to work a shift if I have no way to record hours worked.

I sent it at 11:00 yesterday morning, and have not heard anything back from either of them.

Sounds like you're good. If they want you to work before your end date, they need to fix things. If they want you to work after end date, they need to fix things. If they don't fix anything, you're done.

You've set clear expectations with them - if you never hear from them again, then whatever. (I'm assuming there's no benefits or severance or insurance or anything to worry about).

LM

If they want you to work after end date, they need to fix things.

If they want me to work after my end date, too bad. It's my end date. :D

(I'm assuming there's no benefits or severance or insurance or anything to worry about).

With a maximum opportunity for 25 hours a month and per diem employment status, no. Definitely not.

• 2 weeks later...