Do Dogs go to Heaven?

Durante

This thread inspired me to dig up my old mission letters. Some background: my initials are TSJ (I work that to my convenience). Also before leaving, I had trained my brother's cat to come over and sit when I called for it (it liked homemade bread, so I would use that for leverage). And my dad had just written me telling me that his friend was a little sad because his cat died recently. My dad told him (I assure you my dad did NOT tell him this, but told the story this way) that if it had been a dog, it would have gone to heaven. But because it was a cat, well, tough luck.

This was my reply (and because it was written by a missionary, it's practically scripture):

"There are bodies canine, and bodies feline; but the glory of the feline is one, and the glory of the canine another. There is one glory of the dog, another of the cat, and another of the fish; for one fish differs from another fish in glory. So also is the resurrection of pets - they are domesticated in corruption, but raised in incorruption." (The TSJ notes "bodies canine, and bodies feline, and bodies icthus, but the glory of the icthus is one, and the glory of ...)

Thus we see that while every animal is resurrected, those that are less valiant will receive a lesser glory than those that are diligent. This does not mean a cat cannot receive the highest glory; but in order to do so, it must abide the law of the canine kingdom, i.e. it must become trainable, willing to sleep outside, obedient, etc. That it can be done, we have so seen, but we have also learned through sad experience that if the creature is not carefully watched over, it will lose its higher habits and return to its base nature.

To which my dad replied in his focus-inspiring letter:

Quit dorking around.

Yeah, that's two letters that'll never get read in General Conference.

Dontcha worry, now, Pam! I know (beyond a shadow of a doubt!) that there is chocolate in heaven (Gospel According to HEP 1:1)! Remember, according to the Book of Mormon, all good things come from God, and chocolate is obviously a good thing! ;)

HEP

Interestingly enough Theobroma cacao means (well theobroma does) food of the gods.