Benefits to having a religion

Mute

I first think of the three-fold mission of the church.

Except that the Church has a four-fold mission now. They added a 4th a few months ago. To care for the needy and poor.

Do you have more info on this Pam? A link perhaps....

Mormon Mission Statement Expanded by Church Leaders | More Good Foundation Blog

LDS to boost emphasis on helping the needy; Salt Lake Temple not closing | Deseret News

http://www.lds.net/forums/general-discussion/28538-lds-helping-needy.html

I failed to mention that what I understand is the word missions will change to purposes.

Edited by pam

ooooo. I like that, thanks, I didn't know there was a 4th.

That makes sense. When I think of all the needy, well, those more needy temporally than myself, anyway, I think of what a big job that is. Just think of millions of people all focusing their shared resources on one specific need at a time. That kind of direction can cause significant improvement in a short amount of time. We especially need that these days, with the world economy the way it is.

See what I mean about growing? :)

One of the signs of life... does it grow?

If it's the true religion that you practice. If it's not, then that argument doesn't really hold much water.

Too true. This is something that concerns me. The modern belief is that there is no universal truth, so believe whatever you want.

Religion should be something you search for the truth in. I firmly believe you can and should only believe the truth because anything else is silly.

I believe the LDS church is the correct church, so I'm part of the LDS church.

If I believed Buddha was correct, I would be Buddhist.

I just think that easy answers are being peddled to society and I think it's dangerous.

If it's the true religion that you practice. If it's not, then that argument doesn't really hold much water.

Too true. This is something that concerns me. The modern belief is that there is no universal truth, so believe whatever you want.

Religion should be something you search for the truth in. I firmly believe you can and should only believe the truth because anything else is silly.

I disagree.

Just because one is not LDS doesn't mean one does not have truth. He may not have the COMPLETE truth, but he has truth nonetheless.

And that's really the benefit of religion, in my opinion. That is, unless you are just going to some religious organization because it is convenient, easy, what your parents want, what your spouse want, etc. But, if you are truly searching for truth, it is better served to investigate a religion - may it be LDS, Islam, or Wiccan - and search for the truth with all your might, mind, and strength. Usually, in its basic foundations, these religions are looking for truth as well. For anybody who is diligent in the search for truth will eventually find it.

Is there truth in non-religious life? Sure. Usually, you are non-religious because you didn't find the truth in any of the religious organizations out there. So, you live your life in what you find is true living (don't rape, don't murder, don't whatever, eat vegetables). But, of course, you are still searching for more truth - to see if there's a better way. That's why I think it's like building a curio cabinet without the instruction manual or carpentry skills. You could eventually get that cabinet built but it could take you a lot of trial and error until you get it. A religion - any religion - has a history of trial and errors that you can look at to see if you find truth in it, so it's like the work is already done for you.

I think we're both saying the same thing, Ana. ;) I'm not saying other religions have no truth. Simply that you must search for the truth and, when you find it... Try to live it.

We fail. I fail, certainly, and I'm fairly certain to a greater or lesser extent everyone does.

That doesn't excuse us from trying to find the truth and holding on to what we find. :)

I disagree.

Just because one is not LDS doesn't mean one does not have truth. He may not have the COMPLETE truth, but he has truth nonetheless.

And that's really the benefit of religion, in my opinion. That is, unless you are just going to some religious organization because it is convenient, easy, what your parents want, what your spouse want, etc. But, if you are truly searching for truth, it is better served to investigate a religion - may it be LDS, Islam, or Wiccan - and search for the truth with all your might, mind, and strength. Usually, in its basic foundations, these religions are looking for truth as well. For anybody who is diligent in the search for truth will eventually find it.

Is there truth in non-religious life? Sure. Usually, you are non-religious because you didn't find the truth in any of the religious organizations out there. So, you live your life in what you find is true living (don't rape, don't murder, don't whatever, eat vegetables). But, of course, you are still searching for more truth - to see if there's a better way. That's why I think it's like building a curio cabinet without the instruction manual or carpentry skills. You could eventually get that cabinet built but it could take you a lot of trial and error until you get it. A religion - any religion - has a history of trial and errors that you can look at to see if you find truth in it, so it's like the work is already done for you.

Except that the Church has a four-fold mission now. They added a 4th a few months ago. To care for the needy and poor.

I'm not sure that's official yet. It's been announced that "caring for the poor and the needy" will be added as a fourth mission of the Church, but I don't think it's official until the release of the new handbook. The worldwide leadership training in November will focus on the new handbook, and, I imagine, this new mission a little as well.

Just because I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints does not mean I am better then anyone else. It just means I have more opportunity and truths to help me to do those things, I need to do to return to my Heavenly Father. The benefit for others is since I have chosen Jesus as my example to follow then I see things diffrent.

Yes, the agrument could be that others who do not have religion can do this. My thoughts is enviroment helps create and set up how you feel and react to those things happening around you. The enviroment of a religion seems to set up (in) most cases an enviroment that encourages good behavior. This is not to say people outside of religion can not have the same experience in other enviroments. It just means the opportunity presents itself in a way that reminds people to do so.

I know my Father in Heaven expects me to react in a certain way. I do not do so out of fear. I do so out of love. I know He loves me. He gave His son. I know my brother Jesus loves me. He gave his life and through his atonement gave me a better life. I believe behind this was love and not fear.

You know something I just thought of: Behavior is learned both ways. When we do for others, it makes us better people. When we recieve from others it makes us better people. So all people are better because of religion even if you do not belong to a certain church or religion. It takes all kinds to make this world.

Edited by zippy_do46
last thought