Muslim Grass-roots movements launch ads, plan Day of Service

Jenamarie

I wish them the best! I'm glad that American Muslims are starting to get together to counter the widespread animosity and bigotry towards them. I think it's an absolutely wonderful idea- including making September 11th a 'day of service'.

I can't believe there's a group that wants to burn to Koran... Well, I can believe it. It just makes me very sad.

Must be their answer to "International Burn a Koran Day"...

Church plans Quran-burning event - CNN

That's absolutely despicable. Fahrenheit 451, anyone?

Lovely, the 'make the target on you bigger' idea is a brilliant plan. *sarcasam intended*

Fuel to the fire if you ask me.

People are supposed to like them even less because they're doing good? Huh?

What exactly are you trying to say?

People are supposed to like them even less because they're doing good? Huh?

I mean, even though they're sending these commercials downplaying these biases about them and their religion, these commercials are just going to cause more trouble. My mom always says that you're the one who can end the argument or not. What I see in the commercials (despite their good and best intentions) is the potential to just prolong this very controversial situation.

I mean, even though they're sending these commercials downplaying these biases about them and their religion, these commercials are just going to cause more trouble. My mom always says that you're the one who can end the argument or not. What I see in the commercials (despite their good and best intentions) is the potential to just prolong this very controversial situation.

But isn't a public relations push exactly what the LDS Church employs when they feel misunderstandings are becoming too prevalent? Didn't the church just start a new round of public relations a few weeks ago?

Why would it be a good strategy for the church** and not a good strategy for Muslims?

**Edit: I guess I jumped to the conclusion that you support LDS Church public relations campaigns. Sorry, if I was wrong.

Edited by BookofMormonLuvr
Clarification

The only problem here is that the non-violent reformist Muslims aren't continuing any argument. They're just making a clarification.

Edited by PrinceofLight2000

I'm reminded of -I think it was Elder Ballard- saying that "we can't allow others to speak for us any longer" (or words to that effect) as a way to encourage members to speak up more in online forums, news paper editorials, and other such venues where often the loudest, and therefore most heard, voices were those who speak ill of the church and/or spread false or distorted information, even with the best of intentions.

I believe that is what these Muslims are doing. They're tired of the extremists in their religion, and the extremists of those against them (the ones who would rather Muslims leave America altogether) "speak for them", and define them in the public forum. They're raising their voices so that they can define themselves.

But isn't a public relations push exactly what the LDS Church employs when they feel misunderstandings are becoming too prevalent? Didn't the church just start a new round of public relations a few weeks ago?

Why would it be a good strategy for the church** and not a good strategy for Muslims?

**Edit: I guess I jumped to the conclusion that you support LDS Church public relations campaigns. Sorry, if I was wrong.

I'd support PR campaigns, but the problem is that in my opinion televised brodcasts/commercials aren't a very effective way of getting the message through, unless they spark something controversial, which I doubt the church will ever do. Their Mormon messages thing is interesting though.

The only problem here is that the non-violent reformist Muslims aren't continuing any argument. They're just making a clarification.

Yes, I get your point, but some people will try to get the message twisted up. People have done it to me a million times.

Side note: You want crazy? Check this out.

I'd support PR campaigns, but the problem is that in my opinion televised brodcasts/commercials aren't a very effective way of getting the message through, unless they spark something controversial, which I doubt the church will ever do. Their Mormon messages thing is interesting though.

Yes, I get your point, but some people will try to get the message twisted up. People have done it to me a million times.

Side note: You want crazy? Check this out.

Incredibly stupid and inflammatory. I don't know about crazy, though. The guy is probably sane, although incredibly antagonistic.

Moroni 7, especially verses 12 and 13, come to mind. "...wherefore, every thing which inviteth and enticeth to do good, and to love God, and to serve him, is inspired of God." emphasis mine ~mn

When anyone does good for a good reason, that's Godly. It's a double standard to say that the Muslims involved in this day of service are somehow different from the LDS people who show up to disasters in their yellow vests.