Working From Home

Ruck

So recently my wife just quit her job to be a stay at home mom. She has a strong desire to want to help with the income, yet I tell her to not worry about it and I will just work more overtime and her job is to be a mom. She knows it true because her patriarchial blessing speaks of it. Still she wants to help, so I was wondering if anybody knows of any of the stay at home jobs that aren't a scam. I hear of plenty on the radio and tv but when I check them out you can tell they are a scam.

Thanks.

Guest mormonmusic

Babysit other people's kids since she's at home anyway. There's very little variable expense, and she doesn't have to leave the home. Little or no up front investment if your home is suitable.

You can also sell stuff on eBay and Amazon. But you'll have to be creative and decide what you will sell so you're not competing with Wal-Mart, for example. They need to be specialty, unique items that aren't readily available in the stores. If she's musical, teach music lessons from home. If she's not musical, teach some other hobby.

She could also tutor other people's kids in school work if she's so inclined. If she has the wherewithal, consider making fancy cakes for people -- but check it out to make sure you can compete with the grocery stores, and that the cakes are unique in some way so people will pay the necessary dollars for you to make a profit.

Use internet sites that allow you to create free websites, register domain names for 1.99 for the first year, and use online business signage companies to support your marketing program.

My wife and I have done all these things over the years to generate extra income.

And last of all, get the book called American's Cheapest Family and read about all the ways she can work to reduce expenses -- (a penny saved, is a penny earned). Smart grocery shopping alone can really help, along with other things, like learning to cut everyone's hair, etcetera. The authors of a book have their home paid off, two cars, a nice house, and take vacations each year on $35,000 per year total income.

Guest mirancs8

So recently my wife just quit her job to be a stay at home mom. She has a strong desire to want to help with the income, yet I tell her to not worry about it and I will just work more overtime and her job is to be a mom. She knows it true because her patriarchial blessing speaks of it. Still she wants to help, so I was wondering if anybody knows of any of the stay at home jobs that aren't a scam. I hear of plenty on the radio and tv but when I check them out you can tell they are a scam.

Thanks.

I sold on Ebay for many years and was successful enough to bring in well needed extra cash into the home. I could have been more aggressive with it and made more money but my priority at that time was the children and my husband. Also I already had a full time office job during the day. My plate was full! When I did have my children I stayed home a little over a year with each of them and was able to work the Ebay business while taking care of the children etc.

I've since started again with my Ebay business with a help of a business friend. It will take a little time but if you stick with it you can be as successful as you want to be. It takes lots of discipline to work from home and you have to be committed. Ebay was realistic as it didn't take up all my time. Some at home jobs you are plugged in front of the computer all day and that just defeats the purpose of staying home with the kids. Ebay was only a few hours after they went to sleep to keep it up and running.

There is also a great website/forum for SAHM/WAHM too have her do a google search. I worked with another woman who had a very successful gift basket business and she catered not only to individuals but through her business connections she has a bunch of business from different corporations.

Just make sure she is clear on how much time she wants to invest in running it each day. Depending on how many kids and their ages you want something that isn't going to pull you away from your priorities and that is your family. She shouldn't be neglecting the children nor you in the process.

A MOTHER’S JOB DESCRIPTION (author unknown)

A few months ago, when I was picking up the children at school, another mother I knew well rushed up to me. Emily was fuming with indignation. “Do you know what you and I are?” she demanded. Before I could answer - and I didn’t really have one handy - she blurted out the reason for her question.

It seemed she had just returned from renewing her driver’s license at the County Clerk’s office. Asked by the woman recorder to state her “occupation,” Emily had hesitated, uncertain how to classify herself. “What I mean is,” explained the recorder, “Do you have a job, or are you just a ……?” “Of course I have a job,” snapped Emily. “I’m a mother.” “We don’t list “mother” as an occupation… “housewife” covers it,” said the recorder emphatically.

I forgot all about her story until one day I found myself in the same situation, this time at our own Town Hall. The Clerk was obviously a career woman, poised, efficient, and possessed of a high-sounding title, like “Official Interrogator” or “Town Registrar.” “And what is your occupation?” she probed.

What made me say it, I do not know. The words simply popped out. “I’m….a Research Associate in the field of Child Development and Human Relations.” The clerk paused, ball-point pen frozen in mid-air, and looked up as though she had not heard right. I repeated the title slowly, emphasizing the most significant words. Then I stared with wonder as my pompous pronouncement was written in bold, black ink on the official questionnaire.

“Might I ask,” said the clerk with new interest, “just what you do in your field?” Coolly, without any trace of fluster in my voice, I heard myself reply, “I have a continuing program of research (what mother doesn’t) in the laboratory and in the field (normally I would have said indoors and out). I’m working for my Masters (the whole darned family) and already have four credits (all daughters). Of course, the job is one of the most demanding in the humanities (any mother care to disagree?) and I often work 14 hours a day (24 is more like it). But the job is more challenging than most run-of-the-mill careers and the rewards are in satisfaction rather than just money.”

There was an increasing note of respect in the clerk’s voice as she completed the form, stood up, and personally ushered me to the door. As I drove into our driveway buoyed up by my glamorous new career, I was greeted by my lab assistants—age 13, 7, and 3. And upstairs, I could hear our new experimental model (six months) in the child-development program, testing out a new vocal pattern. I felt triumphant. I had scored a beat on bureaucracy. And I had gone down on the official records as someone more distinguished and indispensable to mankind than “just another……”

------------------

I was a stay-at-home dad for six years. I have a bit of experience in this arena.

If she stay's at home, she will have NO time for anything else, nor would she want to do anything else. Staying at home is so overwhelming. But the rewards are enormous for doing the world a whole lot more good than trying to earn more of a paycheck and your kids will remember mom being at home for the rest of their lives into eternity. It will make a huge difference to them, it will be a HUGE blessing to your family. It is a HUGE blessing to be at home with them while having a husband who is a provider. It's just not that common these days.

She should stay with the children and not worry the other stuff. Heavenly father loves mothers (sometimes I think more than dads) and has very special blessings set aside for them. Just don't forget to support her. She never leaves the office. She will need your attention, your listening ear, your compassion, and your help. Your family will be better off for it.

If she stay's at home, she will have NO time for anything else, nor would she want to do anything else.

I disagree. That may have been your experience, but it is not universally applicable.

Regarding the rest of the anecdote, which I've read multiple times before, I occasionally refer to myself as a Domestic Engineer.

Guest mirancs8

She'll have time. Really it all depends on how many children, ages, and if they are in school or not. While there in school you can easily dedicate a few hours to an at home business while spending the rest of the day doing your household duties.

Asked by the woman recorder to state her “occupation,” Emily had hesitated, uncertain how to classify herself. “What I mean is,” explained the recorder, “Do you have a job, or are you just a ……?”

. . . .

“And what is your occupation?” she probed.

I really dislike fables like this.

I've never, ever had a government employee ask me what my occupation is. It may have been on a form, but I've always filled the forms out myself.

Usually this kind of story ridicules feminism for demeaning the role of the mother who stays home, but that's not what feminists stand for. They stand for women having choices, and as long as it is her choice to stay home and raise the children, feminism supports that choice completely.

I do LOVE the job description.

Elphaba

I really dislike fables like this.

I've never, ever had a government employee ask me what my occupation is. It may have been on a form, but I've always filled the forms out myself.

Usually this kind of story ridicules feminism for demeaning the role of the mother who stays home, but that's not what feminists stand for. They stand for women having choices, and as long as it is her choice to stay home and raise the children, feminism supports that choice completely.

I do LOVE the job description.

Elphaba

But isn't feminism demeaning to mothers who chose stay at home, becoming the traditional homemaker and under the supposed control of her control-freak medieval-thinking husband? At least the last feminist I spoke to proselytized that idea.

But isn't feminism demeaning to mothers who chose stay at home, becoming the traditional homemaker and under the supposed control of her control-freak medieval-thinking husband? At least the last feminist I spoke to proselytized that idea.

There are many vintages of feminism. Militant feminists lean toward what you suggest here. There are also feminists like those Elphaba spoke of. I consider myself a retro-feminist: as a woman, I stay home and care for my child; it is what I choose, not anything that has been thrust upon me. I defend to any man or any woman my right to make that choice.

No, because feminism, in general, does not contend that at all.

What feminism contends is there are marriages where the wife is not allowed to make her own choices because her husband is controlling. It opposes that type of marriage, and supports the women in her efforts to discover opportunities to regain/find autonomy.

The same is true when the roles are reversed. If a woman is so controlling that her husband isn't allowed to make his own choices, feminism condemns that as well.

Finally, feminism contends there are marriages where the both spouses are free to make choices within the marriage, and it supports them in their efforts to continue to do so.

I think that last part is all to often misinterpreted to mean feminism contends each spouse should be allowed to do whatever they s/he wants, because that's a choice. But that's not what feminists believe.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a wife deciding to stay home, even if that's not her first choice--she's still made a choice. It's only when the wife, or husband, is not allowed to make choices, and especially if s/he is forced into doing something s/he absolutely does not want to do, that feminism has a problem with it.

I'll grant there are individual feminists, and groups of feminists, who believe marriage, period, is detrimental to women. I think this was especially true at the beginning of the movement, but by no means restricted to that time frame.

But your average feminist condemns oppressive marriages, not marriage as an institution. So, no, feminism does not demean women who choose to be SAHMs. It supports them.

Elphaba

Edited by Elphaba

Guest mirancs8

Well, ok. I had five to care for. And there were two sets of twins in there somewhere. So I had no time. I was up to my elbows in diapers. So point taken.

Like I said previously it all depends on how many children and their ages. There's much to consider when thinking about working from home and these are 2 of them. Yeah a set of twins and a total of 5 kids is a huge job! No question on that one. They both need to evaluate their own situation and determine if she can and if so what type of work. Some businesses take a lot of time out of your day while others you only need to dedicate a couple of hours a day depending on how aggressive you want to be with the business.

Having children to care for and a home is a large amount of work not everyone will have the available time to commit to working from home.

I watch other peoples kids in my home. It's worked out very well. There has been a bit of a learning curve, but more with how to present myself and what I offer to other parents, not as much with the actual child care. I've been able to minimize the stresses due to such a job in order to allow myself to still be totally available to my family. It's not for everyone, but I've enjoyed the ride so far.

Guest mirancs8

Never knew there was different types of feminists. I think a feminist is a feminist. You either are or you are not. But that's just what I think.

There intent may have been a good one when they started the movement but it's completely out of hand. The role of a husband and wife are now smeared. Feminism smeared that line.

We wanted equality and we got it. Now more women are at work rather then raising their children and being a help meet to their husbands. More women are unhappy compared to before. We have lots of latch key kids who have no one to come home to after school. It's upsetting to see young ladies who don't cook in the kitchen with their mothers, learn how to keep a home, how to sew, and such things. My mother from a young age gave me those skills. Sure my sons help with those things too but daughters need to learn how to be their future husbands helpmeet.

There is an order that was put in place for us as humans whether we like it or not. We are equal but we bring different things to the relationship. If we were both the same there would not be much for the other person to contribute to the marriage.

"Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them. Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord." Colossians 3:18-20

"Every wise woman buildeth her house: but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands." Proverbs 14:1

"Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing. Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it." Ephesians 5:22-25

And yes I know there are many people out there who may not want to get married or have children, or they want to work outside the home... I know these thing obviously. This is address those who want these things in their life.