I don't know if this is in the right category but I have a question about Temple marriage. Its my understanding that salvation for the mormon is through marriage in the temple. I also understand that the mormon believes that the Holy Spirit is a God, just like Heavenly Father is a God and Jesus Christ is also a God. What I find very confusing is this: The mormon church believes that God the Father and Jesus Christ have wives and children. What then do you do about the Holy Spirit?

Sorry but none of this makes any sense.

First off, salvation comes through the redemption of Jesus Christ. He has asked us to keep certain commandments and make specific covenants with Him (one of which, for the highest degree of salvation, is marriage); but those are not what saves us. He, and He alone, is.

I don't think there's any teaching about the Holy Spirit personally (as opposed to what He does), that has the force of doctrine in the LDS Church. I think most of us believe that the Holy Spirit will eventually receive a body and have all the opportunities for family life that the rest of us enjoy. I've even heard some Mormons suggest that the Holy Spirit is a position, and that the individual who fills that position can/has varied throughout human history.

None of that is doctrine, though. The official answer to your question is, "we don't know".

Hello, Graig. It's nice to meet you.

I'm not sure where you have obtained your information about the Mormon church. I've been a member since age 8, and i can assure you i've never been taught that Jesus has/had wives and children. I've read a lot of speculation on the matter. But that's all it is... speculation. No where in our official doctrine is that taught.

As far as Heavenly Father having wives and children. We do believe we are all spirit children of our Heavenly Father. As far as wives are concerned, that would be a point of speculation as well. The idea of a Heavenly Mother is mentioned in one of our Hymns but not much else is known about her so a lot of what you may hear would probably be speculation. No where is she mentioned in official doctrine that i am aware.

As for the Holy Ghost, he is a personage of spirit. Perhaps you would like to read some links that are a little more official than what you have apparently been reading.

LDS.org - Support Materials Chapter - Holy Ghost

LDS.org - Support Materials Chapter - Jesus Christ

LDS.org - Support Materials Chapter - God the Father

Enjoy.

Doctrine and Covenants 76 teaches us that salvation comes through the grace of Christ. There are levels of salvation, however. Christ taught in the Gospel of John that "in my Father's house there are many mansions." And Paul saw a man go to the third heaven (2 Cor. 12:1-4). So there are varying levels of salvation. Salvation is near universal, as Christ's grace extends beyond the grave, reaching those who repent in paradise/spirit prison (1 Peter 3:18-20, 4:6), and giving all mankind ever born an opportunity to accept all/part/none of the atonement. They will be blessed for the amount they accept, given a higher glory of salvation according to how much of Christ's atonement they embrace.

This is such a loving concept, as the belief from many Christians is that there is never any hope for Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, etc., nor for the person who never had a chance to hear about Jesus. This LDS teaching, restored in the last days, shows how loving God really is, and does not make God seem capricious in giving some the gospel and leaving others to burn in hell for no fault of their own.

The temple is where we can help bless those who have died to receive the symbolic ordinances of salvation, such as baptism. We do it by proxy, which gives us the opportunity to serve even those who have died. In doing so, we learn to reach out to all others, as followers of Christ. The temple also gives us the opportunity of receiving the highest graces of Christ's atonement, which includes eternal marriage. Finally, the temple allows us to practice the ancient prophetic experience of the theophany, when the prophet is brought into the presence of God (see Isaiah 6 for an example, and an in depth explanation at my blog: Joel's Monastery: OT Gospel Doctrine lesson 36 - The Glory of Zion will be a Defense- Isaiah 1-6

The Godhead are three persons, who are united in all things except their physical bodies. D&C 130 teaches that the Holy Ghost does not have a body. There has not been any specific revelation on the future of the HG receiving a body, wife, etc. However, as I've pondered and studied it, I've come to the conclusion that the position of Holy Ghost is similar to a 2nd counselor in a bishopric or presidency. It is a position established to train. LDS believe that we were all spirit children of God in heaven, prior to coming here. I believe that God chooses one to be Holy Ghost to prepare him for an important prophetic mission on earth. Adam would have been the first Holy Ghost. When he came to earth, Noah was called to replace him. Then Enoch, etc. Each of these great prophets are believed by LDS to have been the archangels in heaven. Adam is Michael, Noah is Gabriel, for example. If my theory is correct, then Joseph Smith may have at one time been the Holy Ghost prior to coming to earth. There would now be another great being in that key role. Each Holy Ghost, upon coming to earth, would become mortal, receive a physical body, get married, and serve God in some key role here upon the earth.

Several ancient texts have gone to help me come to this conclusion. The Melchizedek Text in the Dead Sea Scrolls tells us that "Melchizedek is God!" which makes a lot of sense if he was once the Holy Ghost. In one ancient text, Enoch ascends to heaven, is clothed in white garments, given the new name of Metatron (the Archangel), and then sits on God's throne and is worshiped. There are other instances of this occurring as well. In the Ascension of Isaiah (see the link above for a discussion on it), Isaiah and others put on a holy white garment, become like the holiest of angels, and all worship the Father, Son and Holy Ghost - 3 individual beings.

Of course, we may find that something else is actually going on that we have not received a revelation on. If so, I'll toss out my theory and latch onto whatever is found to be the truth at that time.

Sorry but none of this makes any sense.

I'm thinking you've absorbed some low-quality anti-mormon material written more than a few decades ago.

Its my understanding that salvation for the mormon is through marriage in the temple.

As others have mentioned, salvation is obtained through the redeeming atonement of Jesus Christ. We're saved by accepting Him as our savior.

I also understand that the mormon believes that the Holy Spirit is a God, just like Heavenly Father is a God and Jesus Christ is also a God.

We do not believe in the trinity. We believe in a Godhead - meaning three separate personages.

What I find very confusing is this: The mormon church believes that God the Father and Jesus Christ have wives and children. What then do you do about the Holy Spirit?

I've never heard anything in my three decades of church attendance that ever suggested anything about Christ having wives or children. I've heard members speculate, but that's it. It's not taught.

As for God the Father, the only thing in our doctrine about a heavenly mother, is that it makes sense to believe we have one. Any other details are assumptions and speculation. We believe all of that talk in the Bible of us being sons and daughters of God isn't symbolic, it literal. We are sons and daughters of God. Inheritors of a divine birthright. If we accept Christ as our savior, we'll become joint heirs with Him, and He will accept everything God hath. That's what the Bible says, and we believe it.

LM

Its my understanding that salvation for the mormon is through marriage in the temple.

That is incorrect. Salvation is a free gift to all mankind through the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

As far as the rest of your post it sounds like you are getting your info from someplace that is not being entirely truthful with you. A really good way to lie is to tell some of the truth but put a spin on it which makes it untrue, then you can point to some source and say 'look it must be true'.

Edited by mnn727

As far as Heavenly Father having wives and children. We do believe we are all spirit children of our Heavenly Father. As far as wives are concerned, that would be a point of speculation as well. The idea of a Heavenly Mother is mentioned in one of our Hymns but not much else is known about her so a lot of what you may hear would probably be speculation. No where is she mentioned in official doctrine that i am aware.

We know there is a Heavenly mother. We do not pray to her, we pray only to God. We are the offspring of Heavenly Parents. Official doctrine on Heavenly mother is here:

"God is not only our Ruler and Creator; He is also our Heavenly Father. All men and women are literally the sons and daughters of God. “Man, as a spirit, was begotten and born of heavenly parents, and reared to maturity in the eternal mansions of the Father, prior to coming upon the earth in a temporal [physical] body” (Gospel Principles, Chapter 2).

Exaltation also requires eternal marriage. Heavenly Father would not require something of His children that He himself would not do.

Entering the celestial kingdom to live eternally with God does not require eternal marriage. But being exalted does require eternal marriage.