Utah braces for winter storm that could be the worst in years

pam

LOL, you guys don't even know what winter is until you've stayed up in Canada for a couple years.

Surprisingly, some recent Christmases here (at least, where I live) were brown.

So true. Yesterday was freezing and today is worse. This morning it was -27C and right now it is -20C (-4F). But at least it's a calm wind.

This is plug in the car weather!

M.

LOL, you guys don't even know what winter is until you've stayed up in Canada for a couple years.

Surprisingly, some recent Christmases here (at least, where I live) were brown.

Does Alaska count? Up north (parts of Canada and Alaska) really do put contiguous 48 winters to shame. It always feels a little scandalous when the end of December or the start of January doesn't hit at least -40 (coldest I've been in is -60).

Storm seems to have been a bit of a dud for Utah. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the Low pressure center got shredded by the mountains. All the energy behind the storm is still in the atmosphere, and may form up on the lee-side of the Rockies (eastern side). That could mean trouble for the midwest (i.e. Chicago) so keep an eye on the weather if you will be flying through the central plains. Keep an eye on it.

Okay so where was this storm that was supposed to be the storm of the decade? Worst part are the icy roads. It's really slick out there.

Yeh!

All that hype and for what? Some snowfall and icy conditions? I'll admit that it is super cold this morning. Much too cold to run. So I opt out :]

Okay so where was this storm that was supposed to be the storm of the decade? Worst part are the icy roads. It's really slick out there.

Indeed. It was pretty pathetic. Heck, I went for a 2 hour walk from 5:30-7:30 wearing nothing extra but a hoody last night.

Edited by Dravin

I'm telling ya, when the day finally comes that the meteorologists can get their weather predictions consisitently right, I will finally listen to the doom and gloom of global climate change or whatever it's called these days.

:D

It hit Washington state pretty hard. They had over 1500 collisions and 1200 stranded motorists the first 24 hours. My brother wanted to drive from Washington State to Utah and it would have been with the storm... still not sure if they let him. He wanted to pick up some girls from BYU and bring them home for Thanksgiving.

The other day I saw quite a few stranded motorists on the freeway. But not 1200 of them — wow! :o

But then again you only drove a stretch of freeway. It wasn't said if this was statewide in Washington. That's a lot of freeway then. But then it may not have been all freeway.