Hey guys first of all for those who don't know me I will introduce myself. My name is Lisa, i'm 18 in 27days i'm from Australia and I am a Christian... although I prefer not to separate the church by doctrine I understand it is sometimes needed to help understand an individuals beliefs, I myself am a Baptist as that seems to line up the best with my own beliefs, however I will not be so arrogant as to believe that what I believe is completely right and that I cannot learn from people of other doctrines... I admire a lot of things in the LDS church, but don't think I fully grasp what they believe yet... I have noticed the key difference is the book of Mormon and other documentations, I was wondering could anyone give me a rough Idea of what these are and where I could find them so I could judge for myself whether or not I believe these teachings rather than having others from outside try to dictate what I am to believe about the LDS faith.:confused:

Thats the problem really I don't know what to ask... I've always had sitting in on a Catholic church service on my bucket list, I have recently added the Mormon church too through largely curiosity.

Yeah got bored and done a which sailor scout are you quiz one time, and surprise surprise mine came up as sailor Jupiter... she was my fav before that anyway and apparently the one I looked most like (me and a group of friends were going to go as the sailor scouts for our superhero dress up day, but it fell through)

Yeah got bored and done a which sailor scout are you quiz one time, and surprise surprise mine came up as sailor Jupiter... she was my fav before that anyway and apparently the one I looked most like (me and a group of friends were going to go as the sailor scouts for our superhero dress up day, but it fell through)

Is it kinda sad even with out taking the test i knew i was sailor Mercury? lol and then two tests confirmed it lol.

And yes it's kinda best to take things question by question. You'll find new ones every day as you find answers or just as you start to wonder why. Keep asking and you'll learn a lot, just take the time to sort it all out in your head as you go.

Do you mean Armaments instead? Never heard of Araments.

But if you mean Armaments it's a fictious book parodying the King James Version of the Bible. I think it was brought up in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Lisa-Marie - this website may help you with your questions, it is very informative & I think you will get a better understanding of who we are & what we believe in. As for Spirit Children, we believe that we all are literally children of God & had lived with Him before coming to this earthly existance, hence the name Spirit Children. Hope this helps with that question. I'm not sure what you mean by "why are the LDS "services" separated into men and women", what do you mean by "services", can you explain your question a little more?

Pacifica

Ok, yes that was what I meant... thanks...

why are the LDS "services" separated into men and women?

We worship on Sunday in the chapel of the LDS meetinghouse and in that setting we don't sit separately. You probably are referring here to the temple endowment - where, much like the Orthodox Jewish Sabbath services, the men & the women are seated separately.

I'm not sure it's for the same reason, though. I don't actually think I know the reason for the separation, come to think of it. Seems traditional, I suppose...

and what is meant by the term "Spirit Children"?

There is an old saying that applies here, though it's not an LDS saying. "As above, so below".

We believe that Heavenly Father is the father of our spirit bodies, the ones we had up in heaven before we were born, and when we were born as babies here on Earth, our spirit bodies were inserted into our mortal bodies, united until death. We believe the family unit is not simply the result of biology, but that families here are patterned after our heavenly family.

So there's a continuity of familial relations before, during and after this mortal life.

HiJolly

LDS worship on Sundays in a church. Everyone is invited to attend these services. We meet for a total of 3 hours. Which meeting is first is decided by the local congregation and leaders.

One hour is spent in the chapel and everyone meets together with their families (children are with the parents and not in a nursery). It is this meeting, called Sacrament Meeting, where we partake of the sacrament or communion.

One hour is Sunday school--broken up by age group (18 months to 3 years is in nursery, 3-11 years is in Primary, 12-18 years is in Youth Sunday school, adults meet in Gospel Doctrine or another class).

One hour is divided into men and women (except for the nursery and Primary children). Girls from ages 12-18 meet in Young Women, boys from 12-18 meet in Young Men, adult men meet in Elder's Quorum or High Priest's Quorum, adult women meet in Relief Society.

Meeting separately for that hour allows for more intimate discussions on our roles as women and men.

We worship on Sunday in the chapel of the LDS meetinghouse and in that setting we don't sit separately. You probably are referring here to the temple endowment - where, much like the Orthodox Jewish Sabbath services, the men & the women are seated separately.

I'm not sure it's for the same reason, though. I don't actually think I know the reason for the separation, come to think of it. Seems traditional, I suppose...

There is an old saying that applies here, though it's not an LDS saying. "As above, so below".

We believe that Heavenly Father is the father of our spirit bodies, the ones we had up in heaven before we were born, and when we were born as babies here on Earth, our spirit bodies were inserted into our mortal bodies, united until death. We believe the family unit is not simply the result of biology, but that families here are patterned after our heavenly family.

So there's a continuity of familial relations before, during and after this mortal life.

HiJolly

I still don't think I understand that one... It may come in time I guess, thanks for your imput

I still don't think I understand that one... It may come in time I guess, thanks for your imput

Let me try a little more...

In what I call 'creedal Christianity' -- ie, Catholicism & Protestantism -- God is a different KIND of being from the angels, demon, humans, etc. He is something completely OTHER.

In Mormonism, this is not the case. God, men, women, etc. are all a family of people. All of the same substance, of the same race, if you will.

Does that help?

HiJolly

Ok, I fit into the category you consider creedal Christianity- where we believe there is God now God then created angel's (, demons) and people. if you have ever seen the movie I robot, how the robot (played by Robbie Williams) is at the end of the film (so close to being human (can cry feel emotion, think for itself, everything but reproduce)the same yet different) is sorta how we see God vs. people the same, yet different.

Yet in Mormonism it's more like, to use a worldly example and for lack of a better one, a pride of Lions, God being the alpha male?

... sorry it's a crude example but the best I could think of to compare it to.

Ok, I fit into the category you consider creedal Christianity- where we believe there is God now God then created angel's (, demons) and people. if you have ever seen the movie I robot, how the robot (played by Robbie Williams) is at the end of the film (so close to being human (can cry feel emotion, think for itself, everything but reproduce)the same yet different) is sorta how we see God vs. people the same, yet different.

Yet in Mormonism it's more like, to use a worldly example and for lack of a better one, a pride of Lions, God being the alpha male?

... sorry it's a crude example but the best I could think of to compare it to.

ROFL. yes, that works... Aslan works...

Posted Image

HiJolly

Hi Lisa-marie.... I have the perfect book for you. Oh okay... might not be "perfect" but it outlines fairly simply what we believe in chapters that are in small nuggets at a time.

Gospel Principles

So, you can just look at the chapter headings and see which interests you the most and read that. Or, and I think this is the best way to do it, just go one chapter at a time from the first chapter on to the last. It's not too thick but it's not too deep either. So, it's perfect for a "first introduction" kind of thing.

Hope this helps!