One of the better 404 messages i've seen:

Blackmarch

Cute nod to Marvin, but if I found that one one of my servers, I would be telling my developers that they clearly don't have enough work, and then I would pile it on. Heck, I get livid if someone tweaks with the colors without a CR.

what if someone asked to do it first using personal time or something they had already made up on their own time?

Or just copied it and pasted it from another website, as loads of websites have this 404 page :)

lol I've only come across this incarnation just now... i've seen one or two similar ones but for 99.99% of the ones i've seen don't use much humor.

It depends on the context. Recently a VP made a comment about an error code "THX-1138" as "cute." Trust me, you don't want your VP to call your project "cute." Very bad form, and it didn't help when the coder tried to justify his "inside joke." Easter Eggs are bad form in the business world.

I used to work for a primary school back in 2006. I don't know if you are aware of what the working environment is like in primary schools, but the budget for IT is practically nil, and the only software designed for this part of the education sector is usually very badly written - and the poor IT guy is still expected to get it all working like a well funded corporate network with whatever hacks he can come up with. Anyway, upon installing some terrible 16bit software onto windows XP, that was actually designed for windows 95, I received this error message:

"You EEeediot!! Theese ees NOT Cheecago!!"

After doing a double take, a quick google informed me of what the error message actually meant: Product Support - Tech Note - Thinkin' ThingsĀ® Collection 3 (School Edition)

Still can't help but laugh at that one.