Ran into the first missionary who knocked on my door

dahlia

So, the missionary who introduced me to the church was suddenly called to a new area and left before we had a chance to say goodbye. I had already bought a Christmas present for him and sent it to the official address, but hadn't heard from him. He had permission to officiate at my baptism, but couldn't get a ride from his new location. :(

Yesterday I get a beautiful letter from the guy, which was really nice all by itself, but he also said he'd be in town for a meeting today and would try to stop by.

Well, little did he know that I had volunteered to do kitchen duty for the elders' lunch for the meeting. As the elders are coming down the hall, I stood in the kitchen doorway. When my guy saw me, his eyes lit up. We hugged (though I've heard they aren't supposed to hug) and it was great. I was relieved from kitchen duty to have lunch with him, catch up, and take pictures. It was so good to see him again - and good for him to see me active at church and having been to Nauvoo and all.

I thought he had been here awhile, but he hasn't even been in the field for a year yet. He made me promise that we'd go to Nauvoo together when I get endowed. Jeez. I am gonna have to deal with that tithing thing, aren't I?:D I've got a few people who want to go with me when the time comes. No pressure, folks.

Maybe it's being new and all, but boy do I feel happy - happy with doing service, happy to go to the temple, happy with meeting and working with people, happy to go to Sacrament Meeting. This is sick. My students are going to wonder where the aliens have hidden the real Dr Dahlia. :lol:

I'm sure this is true for many converts, but I, too, have a special missionary... I've had a ton of missionaries come by my house - I was married for years to a Mormon before I got baptized...

But yeah, there's this one missionary that was my "pivotal" missionary - I decided that he baptize me instead of my husband baptizing me and all that stuff.

Yeah, he's married with kids by now I'm sure but it would be great to see him again!

And Dahlia... it's not just a new convert thing... I'm on my 10th year and I still get that happy feeling. It is a life-changing moment. And yeah, it's GREAT!

Hidden

Maybe it's being new and all, but boy do I feel happy - happy with doing service, happy to go to the temple, happy with meeting and working with people, happy to go to Sacrament Meeting. This is sick. My students are going to wonder where the aliens have hidden the real Dr Dahlia. :lol:

And Dahlia... it's not just a new convert thing... I'm on my 10th year and I still get that happy feeling. It is a life-changing moment. And yeah, it's GREAT!

One reason I could never bring myself to convert to Mormonism was that I felt sure it couldn't really be as wonderful as everyone told me it would be. I could only envision myself just as miserable, lonely and frustrated as before, with a lot less money and a lot more guilt. But back then I felt much the same way about all religion. (I was an agnostic at that time.)

Sounds like it wasn't like that for you two though :)

I often wonder what happened to the missionaries who used to visit me when I was investigating the church. There were a lot of them. Some were bad tempered or ever-so-slightly crazy, but most of them were fine. Some of them were very nice indeed, though I could never quite believe that life in the Church could be quite as wonderful as they told me it was. Sounds like you're finding it is though Dahlia :)

35 years and counting for me. I often think back on my own conversion and how far I've come since then. It is crazy-wonderful to sit in stake high council and discuss the progress of an entire stake, and hear testimonies of elders and sisters just returning home from their missions, and seeing how new converts are growing and having great experiences in the gospel. And when I hear and experience these things, my own conversion memories wash over me and I feel like a new convert all over again.

Dahlia, isn't it amazing how someone with advanced college degrees can get so giddy over the gospel? ;)

As a matter of interest Dahlia, what are you a professor of?

Information science - knowledge management, management, information policy, and how people use information at work and translating those behaviors into useful technologies. My research is the middle ground between the purely social and the technical.

I often wonder what happened to the missionaries who used to visit me when I was investigating the church. There were a lot of them. Some were bad tempered or ever-so-slightly crazy, but most of them were fine. Some of them were very nice indeed, though I could never quite believe that life in the Church could be quite as wonderful as they told me it was. Sounds like you're finding it is though Dahlia :)

I also don't think the Church is as wonderful as some would make out, but nothing is. I'm old enough to know that, so it doesn't bother me the way it might with some born Mormons.

While some of my missionaries have been more quiet or more knowledgeable than others, I haven't run into any crazies yet. :lol:

Dahlia, isn't it amazing how someone with advanced college degrees can get so giddy over the gospel? ;)

Yes. It's great to know that I have more to learn. "And gladly wolde he lerne, and gladly teche" and all that. I wonder what I'll feel like a year from now when I'll be able to get my endowments?

I think a positive thing about the Church is that it requires some time and effort; I can't just show up on Sunday for 45 minutes and go home and not worry about it for another week. There are things to do at church during most weeks, I'm busy with the missionaries, the therapeutic nature of RS sessions (at least for me, it's like an hour of therapy with 30 other women) , and being active in Gospel Principles class (did you think I could shut up?), means that I'm often thinking about personal or LDS issues for the next week. I 'like' several LDS sites on Facebook and follow the information there as well. So, it's easy to continue to learn and stay connected and interested if that's what one wants to do.

Besides, seeing the smile light up my first missionary's face was just priceless. If I'd known that was coming, I might have converted earlier just to see that.

Information science - knowledge management, management, information policy, and how people use information at work and translating those behaviors into useful technologies. My research is the middle ground between the purely social and the technical.

Cool - You sound very like many of my own colleagues on the IS side. I find that stuff interesting, and I do do some teaching on information management. I don't think I have much aptitude for it though - my real love is for statistical analysis and simulation of networking behaviour.

Oh, Dalia, I'm so happy for you!

I get to visit with my missionary on facebook sometimes. He is married with kids now...I did go to conference and met them for lunch with my husband. They got to meet each other, it was great.

Your endowment time will be here before you know it, but what to you mean about your tithing? Has someone told you that you are supposed to be a tithepayer for six months before you get a recommend? We had to wait for my dh to get his becase of the six month thing.

It will be nice for your missionary to be there for your endowments :) It is nice to go into some of the temple with lots of people there that you care about.

I read about your experiences and I think of my own conversion experiences, and going to the temple for the first time. (grin) When I got my endowments, I just kept going back, again and again, and I went to another temple close to us, just to see that one. When I trave,l if I have a chance, I go to the temple there. They are all beautiful, my two favorites so far are San Diego and Salt Lake, temple square. It's nice to go with a friend when you can.

Just curious - once one is endowed, can you just go into a temple and sit or do you have to do an endowment (I hope I have the terms right) each time?

Re tithing - I hadn't heard anything about 6 months of tithing, my bishop mentioned that some people just settle at the end of the year w/one check, so I don't think 6 months would matter. My issue with tithing is 1) just turning over 10% of my income and 2) I have financial responsibilities to my mother and she comes first. I'm not going to help her, tithe, and have nothing left for myself. I'm working on it, but it's hard.

To enter the temple, the bishop must determine that you are current with your tithing, which is declared at tithing settlement. Some do pay annually, while most will pay at least monthly. The key is to be current. One who has fallen behind in tithing will not be asked to go back and make it up, but to start today and become steady in paying it forward.

You can sit in the temple and just quietly think. Many temples have a chapel or sitting area where you can sit and think. At the end of the endowment, one enters into the celestial room, which has chairs and couches for people to sit in. I've often spent time after an endowment, sitting in the celestial room to meditate.

Well, maybe it was just my bishop, but we literally had to wait a full six months.

If you are having trouble, the church can help.

Tithing only works if you do it all the way, you can't say..do 5% instead of 10% and expect all of the same blessings. However, the promise that comes with tithing is that you will have your needs met. Really in the economy we have today, who can make and keep a promise better than that?

My parents kinda depend on my income, too, and I know it's hard thinking that you have to choose, but you really don't. I think to myself, "there is no way I can do this without the Lord." I know it sounds imossible, but when we add up our budget we first take out the 10% and then start figuring out how to get the bills paid. It has always somehow come together by the end of the month. It helps me to remember that it isn't my money in the first place, I'm just giving back what the Lord has given me.

Temple attendence is really important, it helps us remember eternity, and gives us peace and hope. I think that once you have recieved your endowments, that you will want to do some more so that you can remember and learn more. There is a lot of information to process, and like any scripture, you will learn more each time you go. You will just love sitting in the celestial room! It's so peaceful and quiet, there are no distractions, and you can be in there as long as you want.

Depending on how big your temple is, there are seats around where you can just sit and think. There are beautiful paintings of scenes from the scriptures. Some have a cafeteria where you can get some lunch.

However, the promise that comes with tithing is that you will have your needs met. Really in the economy we have today, who can make and keep a promise better than that?

It helps me to remember that it isn't my money in the first place, I'm just giving back what the Lord has given me.

This is not directed at you, jayanna, but I guess I'm talking to myself here. I work for my money. If I don't, we don't eat. I'd like to think that God provides, but I believe more that the Lord helps those who help themselves. The money is my money, and I'm responsible for getting it and disposing of it. A nice organization called the IRS gets its cut first, and then I see what's left.

I'm all for contributing to the church, but tithing is my hardest issue. I do not equate giving money away to getting blessings. I know you all do and this is my problem to work through, but the idea of 'blessings' by throwing money down a rabbit hole sounds like so much hokum to me. Tell me the truth - that you want the money to support the church. I don't care if I get blessings from donating; just don't blow smoke up my...

Everything else about the church is so good and nice, why do I struggle with this?

Paying tithing does not equate to financial blessings. It doesn't. There are blessings for paying tithing, but I believe paying tithing is not about the money. Tithing is about faith and obedience.

God has established a way for us to think of others more and He knows how seductive money can be to people. The Book of Mormon is replete with stories upon stories of how the people became less obedient to God once they began making money and getting riches.

By requiring us to give him a mere 10%, He is teaching us to be obedient. To have faith in Him. And we learn to budget. We learn to give something that is sometimes really hard. And one of the blessings we have is confidence in the presence of the Lord. It is a really, really good feeling to look my bishop in the eye and declare myself a full tithe-payer. I may not be perfect, but dang, I can be perfect in paying my tithing. For me, it's just one small step to perfection in Christ.

Your money is not needed to 'support the church'. The church is doing more than fine without it. This is not a commandment made by latter-day suggestion.

If you will read in 3 Nephi 24: 8-12. You will read there the blessings of keeping this commandment.

I have lived it, even when I was alone with two little girls to feed, and no home to call my own. I tell you this because I have gained a testimony of it...not by studying alone, but by living it.

It is practice for how it will be in the heavenly kingdoms, where we will share everything in common. Like the city of Enoch.

The Lord has made us a promise (found in 3 Nephi Ch. 24) that He will keep. Try it and see if He will keep his promises.

I love the story of the widow's mite.

As do I. As a long-time widow, I am happy to give my little bit to support the causes and people I think important. I love to help the missionaries and wish that helping them was a respected way of giving to the church (yeah, I know it is, but I mean really help with groceries, etc. and not just a meal). I want to help families in the ward, folks living on grad student stipends with 3-4 kids. I know the fast offering goes to help people in the ward, but I bet most of these student families just deal with the financial situation and don't ask for anything extra. It would be nice to just see a need and be able to fill it.

I realize that the blessings may not be financial; I don't expect that. I guess I have a hard time expecting any blessings. Why should I get them? Sigh. This is the hardest part of being an active Mormon for me.

I realize that the blessings may not be financial; I don't expect that. I guess I have a hard time expecting any blessings. Why should I get them? Sigh. This is the hardest part of being an active Mormon for me.

I'm not sure what you mean by your question of "why?" Do you believe that you don't deserve or aren't worthy of blessings?

Guest Alana

One of the hardest things about gaining a testimony about tithing is that you have to do it to gain it.

I'm sure you've been told of plenty of stories though. I'm sure it's been explain to you plenty of times, but I guess I'll do it one more time:) You don't have to read if you don't want to, you've been warned lol.

There is no promise that it will make things easy, or at least easier. There is no promise of financial blessings. But there are promises of blessings, and although church officials remind us of these blessing, these are blessing from Heavenly Father, not from the church. We pay tithing because Heavenly Father commands us to. When our business failed, we had months where we made less than a thousand dollars. That's not much when you live in California and have a new born baby, and rent and need a vehicle for your business and need to buy an inventory, oh and need to eat, also. We paid tithing. We survived. There were specific blessings that were not financial (and eventually a few that were) that we were given because we paid tithing. Pray for blessings, and to be mindful of them, ask that you see His hand at work. Then pay your tithing. Ahead of time, if you know that you will not have enough for food or rent/utilities, talk to your bishop about options. I know it'll be hard because you'll have to trust Heavenly Father and the infrastructure of the church.